Wedding Etiquette Forum

Would you say anything?

So this has me scratching my head. Our wedding was awhile back. We did not hire anyone to video it.It isn't something we thought we'd watch. FI has a family member who used to do them as a business. They casually asked us if we would be interested and we said no.They also briefly mentioned something to MIL that they would video for us if we wanted. We told MIl it's not something we'd watch so no need.

Fast forward to wedding. Didn't notice anything UNTIL we were walking out of church and our photographer was there taking pictures.. Family member videoing  ran into him and was in the way of the rest of that set of pictures. We then went to our transportation and video person got on and stayed for probably 5 mins videoing everyone and having people say stuff. 

At reception again right in front of photographer *who we were paying* I'm not sure if photographer thought were paying him as well or not. Person was on the dance floor during our first dance, yes we should have said something at that point :) I own that.

Wedding was toward the beginning of the year. There have been family functions since. No mention or offer of the video. 

Yes we said we didn't want it, but since they went out of their way and were in the way at times to video our wedding would it be wrong to ask for a copy?

In my mind I dont understand why you would be told no, go to the extreme of videoing it like it's your job, get in the way multiple times, if its only for your own personal video library? I guess after that I assumed they'd send us a copy.

Re: Would you say anything?

• Do you want to see the video?    

I think it's really odd and it sure gets a WTF from me, but it's their video to do as they please.  If you really want to see it then I see no harm is asking.  Much like asking other guests if they have any photos from the weddings.   FWIW - I have a few great shots from guests, I was happy to get.   Just because you ask doesn't mean they will give it to you though.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • So this has me scratching my head. Our wedding was awhile back. We did not hire anyone to video it.It isn't something we thought we'd watch. FI has a family member who used to do them as a business. They casually asked us if we would be interested and we said no.They also briefly mentioned something to MIL that they would video for us if we wanted. We told MIl it's not something we'd watch so no need.

Fast forward to wedding. Didn't notice anything UNTIL we were walking out of church and our photographer was there taking pictures.. Family member videoing  ran into him and was in the way of the rest of that set of pictures. We then went to our transportation and video person got on and stayed for probably 5 mins videoing everyone and having people say stuff. 

At reception again right in front of photographer *who we were paying* I'm not sure if photographer thought were paying him as well or not. Person was on the dance floor during our first dance, yes we should have said something at that point :) I own that.

Wedding was toward the beginning of the year. There have been family functions since. No mention or offer of the video. 

Yes we said we didn't want it, but since they went out of their way and were in the way at times to video our wedding would it be wrong to ask for a copy?

In my mind I dont understand why you would be told no, go to the extreme of videoing it like it's your job, get in the way multiple times, if its only for your own personal video library? I guess after that I assumed they'd send us a copy.
    I'd probably say something in casual conversation, like "Hey, how'd that video of the wedding turn out?"  It's a little less forward in a kind of awkward situation, and maybe they will just offer it up to you.  If they dodge the question or get weird about it, then I guess you know that maybe they only did it for their own personal entertainment (odd).  

How well do you know this family member?  Is it possible they did it just to promote their business?  I'm sure that's not the case but my negative mind goes there.  

• Eh I wouldnt say I need to see.
    I believe the business was closed about 4 years ago. They just do it for family weddings now it was I was told.
  • I'd ask the family member how the wedding video looked.

But I definitely wouldn't pay anything for it.   It's too late to bring it up but in the future if something like that happens again, I'd either do it myself or ask someone else to tell the person blocking the photographer to get the hell out of the way.

• I'd probably say something in casual conversation, like "Hey, how'd that video of the wedding turn out?"  It's a little less forward in a kind of awkward situation, and maybe they will just offer it up to you.  If they dodge the question or get weird about it, then I guess you know that maybe they only did it for their own personal entertainment (odd).  

How well do you know this family member?  Is it possible they did it just to promote their business?  I'm sure that's not the case but my negative mind goes there.  

My mind immediately went to Love, Actually. 

Only if your wedding or the video services comes up again in conversation, I would say, "Oh, I remember seeing you with your camera at our wedding. How'd the video come out?" 

• I'm not sure why you want a copy of the video that all along you said you didn't want.

But yeah, you can call the videographer and ask how it turned out.  Like PPs suggest, don't offer to pay for it.

• Saying you didn't want/need the videographer could be interpreted as you don't want to pay for the videographer. 

The guy shooting the video not giving you the video could be because he is a dick and is going to make a point of not giving it to you because you said you didn't want it and/or didn't pay for it, or he's not giving you the video because he thinks you actually have no interest in it and he just did it for fun.

I'm with the others at just bringing it up casually, although I'd likely do it in a bit more of a passive-aggressive way, "Hey, were were looking at our wedding pics the other day and you were in a bunch of them taking video. Did you get anything good?" and then see what he says. 
  • db1984db1984 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I'd be pretty annoyed at the fact that despite being told more than once by more than one person that you were not interested in having a video this clown took it upon himself to be in the way doing something against your wishes.  It's not the same as someone taking a few photos on their phone.  This was intrusive.  I wouldn't actually do anything about it, but it would color my opinion of this person.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards