Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

How many Hors D'Oeuvers??

2»

Re: How many Hors D'Oeuvers??

• Options
    Jen4948 said:

4 to 6 appetizers sounds normal for a cocktail reception.  If you're doing this in lieu of a meal, then I'd expand the number of appetizers to around 8 to 10.

This. If in lieu of a meal, 8-10 would be a minimum IMO. Especially if you have people with dietary restrictions.

In addition to the variety, you should ask about how many pieces per person.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

If any knottie has a poutine station I must be invited. Pleeeaaase! I'll bring a cash gift!

They are being offered with a bunch of the catering packages that I've looked at. But I'm in Ontario
  • Options
    I would just like to say that cocktail hour is my FAVORITE. IMO, there's no such thing as too much food. Bring it on. Sushi, carving stations, mashed potato stations, caviar stations (yes, at a family bar mitzvah), pastas, all passed trays. I will eat everything. 
  • Options
    To digress a second, I will say my sister got irritable with me about feeding her before the ceremony (long story). I kept saying that cocktail hour was at 6:30 and dinner at 7:30. Turns out, she'd never been to a wedding where the cocktail hour had food! She thought she was going to starve until 7:30.  I was floored. I've never been to a cocktail hour without food. 

Caterers often know what are the most popular options out of the long lists they offer, and they should definitely know how many of each depending on how many people you have. Numbers isn't a decision a couple should make with a shot in the dark, and if you're being asked to, I daresay you have a bad caterer. 

• Options
    I hate seafood.  I'v tried so hard to like it, but I just can't.  And HD is allergic to shrimp anyway, so we don't eat a lot of it normally.  We did the seafood during apps, since I knew people would want it in Hawaii.  About half were sea food based, the rest other meats or veggie.  That way people could enjoy the fishy stuff and we didn't have to eat it.  

• Options
    Yeah I had to make sure we had a good variety. We wanted some seafood, including shellfish, but then we also needed land animal, plus veggie stuff for the vegetarian & kosher friends. Did the same for the meal, options were beef, fish, chicken, and vegetarian.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards