Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Engagement photos?

Are engagement photos necessary? Before I got engaged I thought they were kind of silly, but now I kind of want them, and since I bought my dress at David's Bridal, I have a coupon for a free photo book from Shutterfly which I think would be nice to have.

Also, when is the best time to do them? To get the free book I have to have it done by October, but I think getting them done sooner rather than later might be nice since we're having a summer wedding so having summer engagement photos would look nice, and I know of a great spot for them.

Thoughts?

Re: Engagement photos?

• They aren't necessary at all. This is 100% a personal choice. I think they're nice and I had some done. I used them for STDs and am planning to order some to frame. That being said, if you're thinking of doing them outside anytime soon, consider the temperature. Idk where you are, but it is hot as hell in the Deep South right now.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • It was hot as hell the last 2 weeks, but we think that's over. Now it should stay in the 70s instead of the high 80s/90s. There's this beautiful park right near where we live that I'd love to do a shoot at, and my FI likes the idea, so as long as we can afford it we're gonna do it.
  • I love ours, and I'm definitely glad we got them done!  We made a book for the mothers and grandmothers, and it was so fun!
  • We did an engagement session as a way to try out a photographer before our wedding. We ended up not using him because of the photos. Though, we did use one on our STD. You can also just have a friend snap some pretty pictures in lieu of an engagement shoot and have the book more of a "life before the wedding" album.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • It was hot as hell the last 2 weeks, but we think that's over. Now it should stay in the 70s instead of the high 80s/90s. There's this beautiful park right near where we live that I'd love to do a shoot at, and my FI likes the idea, so as long as we can afford it we're gonna do it.

Ugh, I'm so jealous. When I walked out to my car yesterday the thermometer on the dash said that it was 110*. I'd kill for it to be in the 70s. FI and I are moving farther north after the wedding and we CAN'T WAIT to be out of this heat!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Ugh, I'm so jealous. When I walked out to my car yesterday the thermometer on the dash said that it was 110*. I'd kill for it to be in the 70s. FI and I are moving farther north after the wedding and we CAN'T WAIT to be out of this heat!

Lol. I think the 70s are okay, but I prefer the 80s.
  • A lot of photographers include engagement pictures in package deals. It is a nice way to get comfortable with working with the photographer especially if one of you is uncomfortable having your picture taken. My daughter and her fiance did an engagement shoot that was included with their package. It really helped her FI become more comfortable in front of the camera. She made a book of their engagement pictures and is using it as their guest book.
  • We just did our photos tonight. We most likely won't use the photographer for our wedding since she lives 3 hours away (in our current city, but we're moving back to our hometown in January). I wanted them done so quickly because I have a coupon for a free book from Shutterfly that expires soon, plus it's summer and I still wanted flowers. I think it did help us get more comfortable in front of the camera. Neither of us likes having our picture taken, especially FI.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards