Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Advice from old-timers

lyndausvilyndausvi mod
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited August 2015 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
I've seen a lot of new posters stressing over things that could have been avoided.      Here is few pieces of advice I would give a newly engaged couple:

Figure out your guest list, budget and what kind of wedding you want together.  They all feed off each other.  THEN booked your venue. 

I kind-of side-eye those who have some random number of 50 people to host and then realize their must haves = 54.   OR they pick the venue then pick the guest list.  Seems kind of silly not to be to pick a venue that can hold all of your 54 must haves.   Instead of stressing over which 4 get the axe.     

Don't get me started on the couple who picks a venue. Then find out they can't afford their guest list because they do not take inconsideration of extra fees, tips, etc or worse the bar.   Why is the bar always forgotten?  Look at ALL the costs before signing on that dotted line. 

It's easier to find a venue when you have a pretty decent grasp of your wants and needs opposed to trying to fit into a contract you signed.

Add a buffer to your guest list.  Unless you have a short 3 month engagement things change.  Your truly single is now married, your BM now has a kid.  Grandma might need a caretaker.  Your FI forgot his co-worker was married.   You are now great friends with someone you didn't even know when the list was made.   Buffers allow you a little flexibility for when these things come up.   If you don't need any of the buffer then you have bonus money.

STD - sometimes they do more harm then good.  Bottom line is if they get a STD you have to send them an invite.  If they didn't get a STD you can still invite them.   Relationships change, heck finances can change.   Do not lock yourself into acquaintances and non-must haves.

What kind-of advice would other old-timers give to our newly planning couples and lurkers to lower their stress?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

Re: Advice from old-timers

• Options

Be realistic when you want to do everything yourself. DIYing things isn't always cheaper once you figure out how much time you have to invest. Especially set up, do you really want to end up having to help clean up the trash & breaking down the table & chairs that have to be ready for pick up or the venue has be cleared before you leave for the night after your wedding? Because don't count on your bridal party to help do it, especially if you have an open bar. They may be too sick or passed out to help out afterwards.

Bridal Party - You want to keep your expenses down, keep your bridal party small. Just because you've been friends with Susie for 15 years doesn't mean she has to be a BM.  Remember for every person you ask to be in your bridal party you need to get them a gift, you need to get them flowers, the more people you have to feed if you do a rehersal dinner, and if you rent a limo, the bigger the bridal party the bigger vehicle you will need increasing the cost of that. Not to even forget dealing with all of the different personalities and coordinating everyone.

• Options
    Jen4948 said:

Make sure to include the costs of feeding vendors to your budget and that the number of vendors is included in your space capacity.

Have a budget before picking a venue.

If your wedding is outdoors, have a Plan B in case of inclement weather.

You would think after my experience that would have been at the top of my list.   :p

FWIW - we did have a back-up plan.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Just don't even waste your time thinking about anything other than choosing the basic dress for your BMs. Forget about specific shoes, hair, makeup, and matching jewelry for your BMs. They are adults and you (presumably) love them the way they are so let them accessorize themselves. My girls all agreed on the same dress, but some wanted it long and others wanted the high-low version that was offered. Some wanted professional hair/makeup and some didn't. It was their choice, and they all looked beautiful! Let them be themselves.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Allocate your budget primarily to whatever affects guests' comfort. Don't stress over the details that don't have a direct effect on the people that you are inviting. 
    Does every butt have a seat? Does every mouth get food and beverage? Is everyone staying dry and at a reasonable temperature? Worry about that first. 

• Options
    Just don't even waste your time thinking about anything other than choosing the basic dress for your BMs. Forget about specific shoes, hair, makeup, and matching jewelry for your BMs. They are adults and you (presumably) love them the way they are so let them accessorize themselves. My girls all agreed on the same dress, but some wanted it long and others wanted the high-low version that was offered. Some wanted professional hair/makeup and some didn't. It was their choice, and they all looked beautiful! Let them be themselves.
    YES!

I always kind-of read those threads and wonder what their life it like that so much time and energy is put into the nail color of a friend?    Really?  There is no real issues you could be devoting too?

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    YES!

I always kind-of read those threads and wonder what their life it like that so much time and energy is put into the nail color of a friend?    Really?  There is no real issues you could be devoting too?
    To be honest, I had always thought that matching-everything was just "what you do" before I found TK. It makes total sense to me now that none of that is necessary and it's just added stress that doesn't matter. I have to say that whenever I go to a wedding now, I notice if the bridesmaids have the same hairstyle or jewelry and totally judge the bride a little in my head.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    kmmssg said:

Well, first, I would tell them how smart you are Lynda..

aw, shucks.

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015

One other one:

It's never okay to expect guests to pay for anything out of their own pockets, whether that's for drinks, parking, or whatever.  So that means no cash bars, potlucks, dollar dances, or parking charges, regardless of what is "done" in your family, circle, region or culture.  You're responsible for covering all the food, drink, parking, and entertainment costs, and without expecting guests to "cover their plates."  They don't owe you reimbursement for the money you chose to spend to host them.

• Options
    Think outside "that's just what everyone has always done". If you're going through wedding motions, think about why. I always thought head tables with the wedding party only and even sides were annoying, but normal and "just what ya do". Horseshit. 
    Good point.

@kmmssg is always spot on.  She's a  like an am-pro and knows her shit.

• Options
    Before I came on TK I didn't know that the Reception was a thank you for the guests for coming - I thought it was just a giant party.

The best piece of advice I got (we were sitting about 30 days out and I was stressing hard):  What gets done gets done, and what doesn't wasn't all that important to begin with. At the end of the day you're married and that's all that matters. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    I've seen a lot of new posters stressing over things that could have been avoided.      Here is few pieces of advice I would give a newly engaged couple:

Figure out your guest list, budget and what kind of wedding you want together. They all feed off each other.  THEN booked your venue.   And you don't have a date until you have booked your ceremony and reception venues and signed the contracts.  Otherwise you are literally just pulling a random date out of your ass.

And until you have booked your ceremony and reception venues and signed the contracts,  DON'T book anything else!!    I can't stand it when brides come on these boards freaking out that ZOMG their venue is booked on their date. . . if the venue is he important thing to you, then pick a new damn date!  It's just a set of numbers ><

I kind-of side-eye those who have some random number of 50 people to host and then realize their must haves = 54.   OR they pick the venue then pick the guest list.  Seems kind of silly not to be to pick a venue that can hold all of your 54 must haves.   Instead of stressing over which 4 get the axe.     

Don't get me started on the couple who picks a venue. Then find out they can't afford their guest list because they do not take inconsideration of extra fees, tips, etc or worse the bar.   Why is the bar always forgotten?  Look at ALL the costs before signing on that dotted line. 

It's easier to find a venue when you have a pretty decent grasp of your wants and needs opposed to trying to fit into a contract you signed.

Add a buffer to your guest list.  Unless you have a short 3 month engagement things change.  Your truly single is now married, your BM now has a kid.  Grandma might need a caretaker.  Your FI forgot his co-worker was married.   You are now great friends with someone you didn't even know when the list was made.   Buffers allow you a little flexibility for when these things come up.   If you don't need any of the buffer then you have bonus money.

STD - sometimes they do more harm then good.  Bottom line is if they get a STD you have to send them an invite.  If they didn't get a STD you can still invite them.   Relationships change, heck finances can change.   Do not lock yourself into acquaintances and non-must haves.

What kind-of advice would other old-timers give to our newly planning couples and lurkers to lower their stress?
    I'll add more later. . .

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    Great stuff!

All I'd add, is chill out and don't sweat the small stuff. When you get down to it, it's just a party. No one cares what the centerpieces look like or what color scheme you decided on. Just make it fun. 
  • Options
    Your guests won't forget that they were treated poorly. They may not say to your face that you were rude and they're offended, but they'll be thinking it. So don't treat them poorly. 

Hosting them well should come first and foremost, ahead of ice sculptures and your fancy limo and photo booths and whatever other nonsense. If you can't afford to host them well, then you need to cut your guest list and/or plan better. 

We're invited to a wedding at the end of September for which the bride and groom are already doing very rude things. Everyone we know of who's invited is talking about them, and trying to find a reason not to go. 
  • Options

Your wedding party should be the people who you consider your nearest and dearest.  Don't ask anyone to be in your wedding party who doesn't fall in that category, even if you are under family or other pressure to do so, because you can't ask them to step down or replace them later.

And when you ask them to be in your wedding party, ask them individually in private and get their budgets and schedules at that time.  Don't make them spend money they don't have on dresses, accessories, hair, or makeup, give them nice gifts tailored to their individual interests and your budget that you don't expect them to wear or use at the wedding, and while it's nice if they can go on shopping trips, help with DIY projects, and plan parties for you, don't expect them to do it unless they volunteer.  And if they can't make it to a wedding-related event, accept that and move on.

• Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    What you said lyndausvi is perfect!

Found your perfect venue, for your 200 guests, but you can't afford it all, so is a cash bar OK? NO! Find a new venue.

Found your perfect venue that fits 50, but you really wanted to invite 100 people, so can you B-list in order to get as many of those 100 attending? NO! Find a new venue.

Also agree with don't sweat the small stuff. Take care of your priorities- seating, food, beverage, no gaps, ceremony on time, Bride + Groom + Officiant present= golden. No one honestly cares about your centerpieces or up lighting or that YOU and your FI got to sit in giant throne-like chairs.

I remember wanting this specific flower design for our cupcakes. I can't even remember what they looked like the day of! And I ate a whole bunch of the leftovers for days to follow ;).
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Im a newbie here but I have a point to add on pot luck receptions... besides the fact it's just rude because you are supposed to be hosting and thanking your guests, asking everyone to bring a dish expecting to feed everyone else is like reserving your venue without "promised" cash in hand.
    How could you expect it to feed everyone, and how can you know that Aunt Peggy has the same standards for sanitation as a caterer or that Uncle Bartholomew didnt just drive around for 3 hours with that potato salad in his passenger seat? YOU CANT!

This is the blunder I've seen the most.

ETA this is a wonderful thread ladies! Thanks for the great advice& tips.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips!

I admit, we have a location before confirmed guest list. But we knew from family weddings we'll be in the 175-200 range and our site can handle 300 comfortably. And we went for it.
  • Options
    I have to write some of these down in my wedding binder. Great advice knotties. I'd  like to remind myself of some of these if I ever get stressed. Although  I have paid attention  to all of these rules while planning I don't want my feathers ruffled if we hit a few bumps in the road.
  • Options
    downtondivadowntondiva member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2015
    I don't know if I count as an "old timer" if my wedding hasn't happened yet, but the #1 piece of advice I would give anyone getting married is this: plan a wedding that you can afford on your own. While it is wonderful if family members offer to help, it is ultimately your responsibility to pay for the wedding you choose to have, and you cannot and should not assume that anyone will give you money toward it. You will save yourself a lot of stress later if you're realistic now.

Another word of advice I would give is to find out as much about the venues you're looking at as possible before you even go to look at them...especially regarding how much they cost. There were several venues I liked but didn't visit because I found out early that they were going to cost a lot more than we were comfortable paying. It was a lot better than falling in love with a place we saw and then finding out we couldn't afford it,  and we saved ourselves a lot of time and disappointment that way.
  • Options
    I don't know if I count as an "old timer" if my wedding hasn't happened yet, but the #1 piece of advice I would give anyone getting married is this: plan a wedding that you can afford on your own. While it is wonderful if family members offer to help, it is ultimately your responsibility to pay for the wedding you choose to have, and you cannot and should not assume that anyone will give you money toward it. You will save yourself a lot of stress later if you're realistic now.

Another word of advice I would give is to find out as much about the venues you're looking at as possible before you even go to look at them...especially regarding how much they cost. There were several venues I liked but didn't visit because I found out early that they were going to cost a lot more than we were comfortable paying. It was a lot better than falling in love with a place we saw and then finding out we couldn't afford it,  and we saved ourselves a lot of time and disappointment that way.

I have to agree with this.  I only actually went to visit three venues - because before I went on visits, I looked at websites to determine which ones were in my budget.  Saved a TON of time.  And kept me from falling in love with something we can't afford.
  • Options

If you choose for whatever reason to get "legally" married ahead of your "wedding" day, whether the reason is for financial, religious, medical, insurance, work, or military reasons, then the day you get "legally" married is your wedding.  Anything that follows is a reenactment, not your "wedding," and keeping the "legal" wedding a secret is extremely rude.  If you feel the need to do this without keeping the "legal" wedding a secret, then be honest and accept that the second occasion is not your "wedding." 

It is acceptable to have a "celebration" of your wedding following the ceremony, but don't treat it as your "wedding" and don't have anything wedding-related, such as wedding party members, registries, showers, pre-wedding parties like showers, bachelor/ette parties, or rehearsal dinners, spotlight dances, and bouquet and garter tosses.  Some people also advise skipping wedding-style gowns and cake cuttings as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards