Moms and Maids

Gift for my sister, Maid of Honor

I have one sister- she is my maid of honor. She doesn't live close by, so my other bridesmaid, who is my best friend, is really helping me out!!
Anyway, my sister is...let's say there is no one like her. Her engagement ring was 2 or 3 different metals, no diamonds or stones. She doesn't wear much jewelry (or any at all) and she is extremely picky. She bought us matching pearl earring and bracelets for her wedding, which I happily wore and still do on occasion. But I can't find ANYTHING I think she will like short of just telling her to wear her wedding jewelry. I don't want to waste a bunch of money on something she will hate, but I don't want to buy something cheap looking. I am buying the girls different bracelets to match their personality and our relationships. One is getting a two toned metal and cz double infinity beacelet while the other is getting an engraved bangle. I am at a loss here...
I am sticking with bracelets due to the varying necklines of the bridesmaid dresses. They are all different and unique, so I don't want to take away from that.
Any suggestions are welcome!

Re: Gift for my sister, Maid of Honor

• You shouldn't be looking for jewelry for her. You should be shopping for her like its her birthday or Christmas. just get her a gift that she would like unrelated to your wedding in any way. Why do you care what jewelry your bridesmaids wear? I have no idea what jewelry mine wore.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I have one sister- she is my maid of honor. She doesn't live close by, so my other bridesmaid, who is my best friend, is really helping me out!! Anyway, my sister is...let's say there is no one like her. Her engagement ring was 2 or 3 different metals, no diamonds or stones. She doesn't wear much jewelry (or any at all) and she is extremely picky. She bought us matching pearl earring and bracelets for her wedding, which I happily wore and still do on occasion. But I can't find ANYTHING I think she will like short of just telling her to wear her wedding jewelry. I don't want to waste a bunch of money on something she will hate, but I don't want to buy something cheap looking. I am buying the girls different bracelets to match their personality and our relationships. One is getting a two toned metal and cz double infinity beacelet while the other is getting an engraved bangle. I am at a loss here... I am sticking with bracelets due to the varying necklines of the bridesmaid dresses. They are all different and unique, so I don't want to take away from that. Any suggestions are welcome!

I agree with Addie.  Try moving away from the jewelry and encourage all of your BMs to wear their own jewelry.  Then shop for each girl like it is their birthday and give them each something they would love.  This frees you up to get the wine lover a great bottle of red, the coffee lover to have her favorite coffee company's gift card, or the craft person a gift card to their favorite craft store. 

I did get each of my BMs a piece of jewelry, but it was picked to their own tastes and didn't have to be worn at the wedding.  It turns out my sister and niece did wear theirs at the wedding, but that was their decision to make.  I completely trusted my BMs to wear jewelry appropriate to the formality of the wedding.

• It makes no sense to buy someone a gift of jewelry when that person does not wear much jewelry. Take the wedding component out of it and find something she would like "just because" it suits HER.
  • MobKaz said:
    It makes no sense to buy someone a gift of jewelry when that person does not wear much jewelry. Take the wedding component out of it and find something she would like "just because" it suits HER.

This.  You do not have to buy her a bracelet.  If you are buying her a bracelet to wear for your wedding, then buy something that YOU like.  Because you are basically buying something that she will never wear again, just so that it's part of your wedding 'look'. 
    **The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • As pps stated don't buy gifts to use for your wedding.. That's a prop not a gift. Gift as you would a birthday or holiday. We bought ours all totally different things to suit what they like.. One got a designer purse set.. One got beer and gift card to a brewery.. Etc.

I don't wear jewelry and hate receiving it as a "thank you."
  • Does your sister like scarves?  Books?  Beer?  Inspiration posters featuring cats?  Precious Moments figurines?  Funky striped socks?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards