Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Divorcing Parents Etiquette

edited August 2015 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
When we got engaged, my FH and I assumed we'd be paying for our wedding by ourselves. Then my parents, who used to live in a different state than me, indicated they wanted to buy my wedding dress, which they did. About a month after that, my dad found out that the other parent had been having an affair and was asking my dad for a divorce. I also found out that my parents were getting a divorce. My parents moved out of their house and my moved back to the city where I live. My mom stayed in the state they had been living in. To sum up the last few months, my dad has done everything to acknowledge their fault in the marriage to members of the family on their side and my mom's side, has tried to fix the marriage, has now stopped trying to fix it at my mom's request, and has never bad-mouthed my mom and has actively worked to keep members from his side of the family from doing so. My mom has bad-mouthed my dad to everyone (including us kids), never acknowledged that she played any part in the marriage falling apart, and generally acting like my is dad out to get her, all while not actively pushing the divorce through. Then a month ago, my mom got mad at my dad for something, started pushing for the legal stuff to be taken care of (which my dad was not hindering or holding up in any way), then suddenly my mom decided she didn't want the divorce just yet, my mom wanted time to just live by herself and think about whether or not she wants the divorce to actually take place (all while still seeing the same person she was having the affair with). My mom and I have had very little contact since I found out about the affair, but my mom has indicated that she wants to help pay for the wedding. My parents still both use their joint bank account (my mom has accused my dad of trying to hide money from her, so he uses their joint account so she can't use that against him in the divorce). I want to accept absolutely nothing from my mom due to her behavior to me and the rest of the family. My dad has also indicated that he wants to contribute more to the wedding, but any money my dad gives would come from the joint bank account, and I am absolutely positive that my mom would try to share credit for anything my dad contributes. I want my mom to have NO say in anything that happens for the wedding/reception, particularly the guest list, because I honestly think my mom would try to invite the person they've been having the affair with (she doesn't understand why all the kids want nothing to do with this man). Can I just accept money from my dad and make it clear to my mom that I don't consider it a contribution from both of them, just my dad, and risk a ton of fallout, both from my mom and her family, or since my mom's behavior has been so appalling, just make it clear that she gets no say in the guest list, and instead let them have some sort of say on some detail of the reception? Or do I avoid the situation all together by not accepting money from either parent (this seems unfair to my dad, who really wants to help us out)? Also, when I let them pay for the dress, I knew they were having problems, but my mom had been telling me they were trying to work things out, and my dad thought their relationship was improving (turns out she'd already been seeing someone at that time, he just didn't know yet). I don't feel I'm under any sort of obligation to give my mom a say in the wedding just because of the dress, but is that just me being ignorant of etiquette? I'm so confused. 

Re: Divorcing Parents Etiquette

• Options
    When we got engaged, my FH and I assumed we'd be paying for our wedding by ourselves. Then my parents, who used to live in a different state than me, indicated they wanted to buy my wedding dress, which they did. About a month after that, my dad found out that the other parent had been having an affair and was asking my dad for a divorce. I also found out that my parents were getting a divorce. My parents moved out of their house and my moved back to the city where I live. My mom stayed in the state they had been living in. To sum up the last few months, my dad has done everything to acknowledge their fault in the marriage to members of the family on their side and my mom's side, has tried to fix the marriage, has now stopped trying to fix it at my mom's request, and has never bad-mouthed my mom and has actively worked to keep members from his side of the family from doing so. My mom has bad-mouthed my dad to everyone (including us kids), never acknowledged that she played any part in the marriage falling apart, and generally acting like my is dad out to get her, all while not actively pushing the divorce through. Then a month ago, my mom got mad at my dad for something, started pushing for the legal stuff to be taken care of (which my dad was not hindering or holding up in any way), then suddenly my mom decided she didn't want the divorce just yet, my mom wanted time to just live by herself and think about whether or not she wants the divorce to actually take place (all while still seeing the same person she was having the affair with). My mom and I have had very little contact since I found out about the affair, but my mom has indicated that she wants to help pay for the wedding. My parents still both use their joint bank account (my mom has accused my dad of trying to hide money from her, so he uses their joint account so she can't use that against him in the divorce). I want to accept absolutely nothing from my mom due to her behavior to me and the rest of the family. My dad has also indicated that he wants to contribute more to the wedding, but any money my dad gives would come from the joint bank account, and I am absolutely positive that my mom would try to share credit for anything my dad contributes. I want my mom to have NO say in anything that happens for the wedding/reception, particularly the guest list, because I honestly think my mom would try to invite the person they've been having the affair with (she doesn't understand why all the kids want nothing to do with this man). Can I just accept money from my dad and make it clear to my mom that I don't consider it a contribution from both of them, just my dad, and risk a ton of fallout, both from my mom and her family, or since my mom's behavior has been so appalling, just make it clear that she gets no say in the guest list, and instead let them have some sort of say on some detail of the reception? Or do I avoid the situation all together by not accepting money from either parent (this seems unfair to my dad, who really wants to help us out)? Also, when I let them pay for the dress, I knew they were having problems, but my mom had been telling me they were trying to work things out, and my dad thought their relationship was improving (turns out she'd already been seeing someone at that time, he just didn't know yet). I don't feel I'm under any sort of obligation to give my mom a say in the wedding just because of the dress, but is that just me being ignorant of etiquette? I'm so confused. 

I would accept the money from your dad, and if your mom tries to insist on things for the wedding, tell her at that time that the money was your dad's and not hers.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2015

I'll admit I skipped a lot of the details because I was confused on who was who and how many couples were involved but it sounds like your ultimate question is about accepting money and could that money have consequences.  Your best bet is to not accept any money since it sounds like there will be strings attached that may cause issues. The dress was already purchased so you are ok there and paying for the dress doesn't mean they get any say in the rest of the event so don't worry about that.  You and your FI should plan the event you want and can pay for and keep the family opinions and money out of it to avoid the potential fall out you mentioned.

Edit: words

• Options

As far as the dress goes, since that's already been paid for, that I would let go, but otherwise, I would plan and pay for your wedding with your money only.  Even if you still have a decent relationship with your dad, your mom will use any money you accept from him as a weapon in their divorce and possibly against you.

• Options
    OP here - Sorry for the confusion. I could've summed it up better. Basically, my parents are separated and probably getting a divorce, I have a terrible relationship with my mom right now and a really good relationship with my dad. Both want to contribute, & they still are legally married and use a joint bank account and will probably continue to do so until the divorce is finalized. I consider their marriage to be over for all practical purposes since they live in different states anf my mom has made no effort to get back together with my dad and last I heard, didn't want to get back together with him. Both want to contribute to the wedding. I don't want to accept any help from my mom, but she is going to see any financial assistance coming from my dad as a gift from both of them. I hate telling my dad he can't help because my mom can't be mature about the whole thing, but maybe it would be less of a headache in the end for everyone if that's what I did.
  • Options
    OP here - Thank you aliwis000. That might cause the least amount of problems. Because he lives in the same city as me now, I could just include him in some planning and preparation to let him know I want him to be a part of the process, even if I'm not comfortable with accepting financial help.
  • Options
    This sucks. I agree that accepting any money from their joint account is begging for disaster. Since they are separated however, could your father stop putting ALL of his money in the joint account? If it really means a lot for him to help you, he could give you some cash (maybe a bit each month), and you mother wouldn't have to know. Definitely include him in ways that are not financial. You also need to be very upfront with your mother about the boyfriend, and that he will not be welcome at the wedding, ESPECIALLY if her divorce from your father is not final.
  • Options
    This sucks. I agree that accepting any money from their joint account is begging for disaster. Since they are separated however, could your father stop putting ALL of his money in the joint account? If it really means a lot for him to help you, he could give you some cash (maybe a bit each month), and you mother wouldn't have to know. Definitely include him in ways that are not financial. You also need to be very upfront with your mother about the boyfriend, and that he will not be welcome at the wedding, ESPECIALLY if her divorce from your father is not final.
    If OP marries prior to the divorce, I don't think she would be under any etiquette obligation to invite the boyfriend. The parents, regardless of circumstances, are legally considered a social unit. If OP's mother would demand an invitation for her BF, I would personally consider that an invitation to cut any remaining ties with such a selfish and self absorbed person.
  • Options

I'm pretty sure that if this were my mom and she tried to bring her boyfriend who broke up her marriage to my wedding, I'd give two fucks about etiquette. But, that's just me.

OP: I wish your dad the best in moving on. Sounds like he's a good egg.

• Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    By buying your dress, that does not give your mother the "right" to further input into your wedding. She specifically contributed to the dress. That is now done with.

As for the rest of the wedding, I agree might not be a good idea for your dad to give you money from their joint account. Since they are separate I wonder why he's still using the joint account (I don't really get how it can be used against him, but I obviously don't know all the details so I'll leave that be...).

You can let him know your concerns and find other ways to include him.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards