Chit Chat

NWR: Help! Poor H!! Update

JaniV123JaniV123 member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited August 2015 in Chit Chat
So H was free yesterday and he was home while I was in class. He did the dishes and decided to use BKF on the pan he used for breakfast and the pot from the night before. Well he left them in the sink while we went to our hometown and we came back late at night. So it was soaking all day and night. Well this morning he went to wash those dishes and the bottom was all dark and stained where the BKF was. 

We don't know what to do and I couldnt find anything on the web about a similar experience other than a woman who stained her SS stovetop and was asking if it could be solved. They gave her some suggestions but they are not from "reliable" sources and I would like to know if this has happened to anyone?

UPDATE: Well I tried everything you amazing ladies told me and nothing :/ I think they are unsalvageable and will need to be replaced. Poor H feels horrible since they are new and we got them as a shower gift. And replacing them will be expensive so it will have to wait. :(

Thank you all for the advice!

Re: NWR: Help! Poor H!! Update

• This is the official BKF site.  They might be able to help.

• This is the official BKF site.  They might be able to help.

Thanks I had checked it out but there seems to be no comments/instructions on what to do if you leave it on for too long :/ 

• It seems some other people have had this same issue - the link below has some possible solutions: using an abrasive cleanser like ajax, toothpaste, or automotive polish along with some good ol' fashioned elbow grease.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130527102315AAn0rx7

I hope this helps!!

• It seems some other people have had this same issue - the link below has some possible solutions: using an abrasive cleanser like ajax, toothpaste, or automotive polish along with some good ol' fashioned elbow grease.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130527102315AAn0rx7

I hope this helps!!

Thanks! yeah that is the one that I saw but it scares me to use something even more abrasive and running the risk of making it worse! but thank you :)

• JaniV123 said:
    This is the official BKF site.  They might be able to help.

Thanks I had checked it out but there seems to be no comments/instructions on what to do if you leave it on for too long :/ 

BOXES

Perhaps they have a contact email that you could ask the question?  I've never used it before, but my go to for all kinds of things is OxyClean.  If I have trouble getting stains out of clothes, the film inside my coffee pot, baked on whatever - soak in some Oxy for a an hour or so and it's good as new.  Then I just give it a good washing with regular soap.

• @MrsMack10612

I emailed BKF and am waiting for a reply. I tried to call their phone number on the website but they are both disconnected (weird). I think I might have some oxy so I might give that a try or try the toothpaste thing. I hope they are not ruined :( 

• Are they stainless or nonstick?  If it's stainless, I would try a good old fashioned SOS steel wool pad.  If nonstick a non-metal scrubby pad shouldn't be too abrasive.

• @MrsMack10612 they are cuisinart chefs classic stainless steel 

• JaniV123 said:
    @MrsMack10612 they are cuisinart chefs classic stainless steel 
    I use just a scrubby and baking soda with these and lots of elbow grease. I recommend the pot scrubbers that are the flat ones. We have one that can be reused, it's great for ceramic tops and stainless steel.
  • JaniV123 said:
    @MrsMack10612 they are cuisinart chefs classic stainless steel 
    I have the same ones :)

I have not had any problems using something a little more abrasive to scrub them.  They can handle a lot.

• The Mr. Clean Magic Erasers are good at scrubbing a lot of difficult stuff.  I don't know about your particular problem, but I've always had good luck with Magic Erasers and baking soda, even for tough stuff that nothing else worked on.

• @princessleia22 that sounds like a good idea but I am scared to use baking soda and cause another chemical reaction :/ but if nothing else works then I will definitely give it a try! 

• I would watch putting certain cleaners on there since it is something that you cook with.  Certain chemicals could be absorbed into the metal and then leach out when you are cooking at a high heat.

Try baking soda and vinegar, once the bubbles come up start scrubbing with an abrasive sponge or scrubbers.  This has worked like no other for me for tough stuck on stains on my cooktop.  Another thing to do would be to put vinegar in the pot covering the stain and then start to boil it.  It will smell but that should also help to loosen whatever stain is on the bottom.

• @OliveOilsMom do you think it should/could work even though it is a chemical reaction from the oxidative in BKF that stained it? 

Update: I tried the toothpaste and a pot scrubber and it didnt help much 

• JaniV123 said:
    @OliveOilsMom do you think it should/could work even though it is a chemical reaction from the oxidative in BKF that stained it? 

The general consensus is baking soda. It won't harm your cookware any further. I have no idea why you would try toothpaste, it has chemicals in it that would interact with what you originally used and is not meant for anything but teeth. 
  • JaniV123 said:
    @OliveOilsMom do you think it should/could work even though it is a chemical reaction from the oxidative in BKF that stained it? 

I have use baking soda and vinegar for stuck on food on my pots.  Based on my previous experience, yes it should work.  But could it work?  I don't know, you will have to try it.  I am not familiar with BKF enough to tell you what happened to your pots, just that I would not be using that on my cookware from now on.
  • JaniV123 said:

I have use baking soda and vinegar for stuck on food on my pots.  Based on my previous experience, yes it should work.  But could it work?  I don't know, you will have to try it.  I am not familiar with BKF enough to tell you what happened to your pots, just that I would not be using that on my cookware from now on.
    BFK is often a minor miracle worker for us. I used it on the George Forman plates yesterday and it took off the build up from doing grilled veggies so easily. It was amazing. The plate had been through the wash already and was still all discolored looking. Also we have a copper sink so BFK cleans that thing right up and removes all the weird coloration that copper makes.

But it is really strong so I don't know how to fix it after letting it sit. I would try scrubbing with something like a steel wool and see if that takes any of the discoloration off. Or if it doesn't come off with scrubbing it may just be cosmetic and won't affect your cookware.
  • JaniV123 said:
    So H was free yesterday and he was home while I was in class. He did the dishes and decided to use BKF on the pan he used for breakfast and the pot from the night before. Well he left them in the sink while we went to our hometown and we came back late at night. So it was soaking all day and night. Well this morning he went to wash those dishes and the bottom was all dark and stained where the BKF was. 

We don't know what to do and I couldnt find anything on the web about a similar experience other than a woman who stained her SS stovetop and was asking if it could be solved. They gave her some suggestions but they are not from "reliable" sources and I would like to know if this has happened to anyone?

UPDATE: Well I tried everything you amazing ladies told me and nothing :/ I think they are unsalvageable and will need to be replaced. Poor H feels horrible since they are new and we got them as a shower gift. And replacing them will be expensive so it will have to wait. :(

Thank you all for the advice!
    I don't know if this is the same set you have.  But this is the Cuisnart Classic that we got.  This is from Amazon and the price right now isn't too bad.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards