Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Games for Casual Reception

tdb05ctdb05c member
Name Dropper First Comment
edited August 2015 in Wedding Reception Forum
Hello everyone!

I am having a small, super casual wedding reception. We decided to hold it at the sports bar where we had our first date :) We rented out the second story of the bar and it is more than enough space for the 40 or so people that we expect, probably coming and going (it's kind of open invitation, so whoever shows up, shows up). Since we aren't going to have dancing or a DJ (we'll just use whatever the bar is playing, maybe request a specific style or something), I thought it would be nice to have some games to encourage people to be social and give them something to do. So far, I've decided to buy a Giant Jenga to put out, and maybe some cornhole boards since my fiance is obsessed with it. I'm trying to think of one or two more games/activities for people to do. Anyone have ideas for some casual, fun activities that will encourage people to be more social? Other info: It will be at night (7:30 to maybe 11?) and I expect people will show up in semi-causual clothing, although probably not jeans. It's mostly my family and some close friends and no one will really be traveling for it. I advertised it really as more of a party than a reception. We will be providing a full open bar (we get our own bartender for renting the room!) and putting out a variety of food that will be catered by the bar, since they also serve food, but no formal "dinner" or assigned seating or anything like that. Thanks!

Re: Games for Casual Reception

• Options
    I think what you have is enough.  If these people know each other (and even if they don't) they will be fine without games.  I mean when you go to a bar on a regular night do you really need games to be social?

• Options
    I'm one of those people who HATES games at weddings.  Well organized ones I mean.     I like to eat, drink, mingle and maybe dance.  I do not needs a game to be social.

If there is a jenga box on the table and people want to play, that is fine.  But I would avoid anything organized.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    No, nothing organized. I agree, it would be kind of awkward to "force" people to play anything. I just want to have things out as options, I know that a lot of his friends would love it and I hope that some other people try it too. I know I don't NEED anything...when I go out to a bar obviously we don't typically have games. I guess my main concern is about those people (like some of my older relatives) who would never go to a bar on their own, and also because I expect that 3-4 hours may be a bit longer than a lot of people would like to stay at a bar typically (if people do stay the whole time). Thank you!
  • Options
    We stayed at a bar recently for about 6 hours, FI was getting to see some people he hasn't seen in a while and we had a great time talking. No games, we were at BWWs but the TVs were hardly watched, so it was pretty much just 6 hour of talking/drinking and having a good time. I think your guests will be fine.

I do have some questions, are you going to have plenty of seating the whole night for everyone going to the reception? Also, are these people also going to your ceremony or is this just a party to celebrate you being married and not a reception? If people are also going to your wedding I'd suggest putting out WAY more food, enough to consitute a dinner, because you have run into dinner time hours.
  • Options
    tdb05c said:
    No, nothing organized. I agree, it would be kind of awkward to "force" people to play anything. I just want to have things out as options, I know that a lot of his friends would love it and I hope that some other people try it too. I know I don't NEED anything...when I go out to a bar obviously we don't typically have games. I guess my main concern is about those people (like some of my older relatives) who would never go to a bar on their own, and also because I expect that 3-4 hours may be a bit longer than a lot of people would like to stay at a bar typically (if people do stay the whole time). Thank you!
    Take the bar out of it.  Typically weddings last 4 hours.  People will either stay for the whole time or not regardless of the venue.  I have never been to a wedding that had games to play. What determined if I stayed was if the booze was flowing, the food was good and if my company was fun.  If H or I got bored we left and I really doubt if there was giant jenga or cornhole would have made us reconsider staying.

• Options
    We're going to have some games available at our reception, but that's because my friends and I are mainly board game/video game geeks, and it's what we do at all of our parties. Cards Against Humanity (or it's PG-rated cousin, Apples To Apples, depending on how mature your crowd tends to be) is always a hit, as well as any simple card or dice games. 

If you're looking for something trendier, Fluxx, Dungeon Roll & Zombie Dice are 3 that come to mind, that are generally easy to pick up, easy to play (even in a loud bar), and lots of fun. I would print out and laminate the rules, so people can read them easily, and they won't get ruined by a spilled drink. 

• Options
    I love games, and they're fine for birthday parties or bar trivia, but if I saw them at a wedding reception, even a casual or nondancing one, I'd wonder if the couple really wanted to invite all those guests and/or couldn't think of any other way to entertain them.

• Options
    tdb05c said:
    Hello everyone!

I am having a small, super casual wedding reception. We decided to hold it at the sports bar where we had our first date :) We rented out the second story of the bar and it is more than enough space for the 40 or so people that we expect, probably coming and going (it's kind of open invitation, so whoever shows up, shows up). Since we aren't going to have dancing or a DJ (we'll just use whatever the bar is playing, maybe request a specific style or something), I thought it would be nice to have some games to encourage people to be social and give them something to do. So far, I've decided to buy a Giant Jenga to put out, and maybe some cornhole boards since my fiance is obsessed with it. I'm trying to think of one or two more games/activities for people to do. Anyone have ideas for some casual, fun activities that will encourage people to be more social? Other info: It will be at night (7:30 to maybe 11?) and I expect people will show up in semi-causual clothing, although probably not jeans. It's mostly my family and some close friends and no one will really be traveling for it. I advertised it really as more of a party than a reception. We will be providing a full open bar (we get our own bartender for renting the room!) and putting out a variety of food that will be catered by the bar, since they also serve food, but no formal "dinner" or assigned seating or anything like that. Thanks!
    I don't think you need more games, unless maybe a dart board or pool table were available.  You know, bar games.  I usually talk at bars, I've never needed a game.  Though our new game that we take with us to breweries is called Gobblet (available on amazon). It's like tic-tack-toe on crack.

But you need more food.  If you're starting at 7:30, people will be getting ready and driving to your location through the dinner hour.  I'll be starving by the time I arrive.  Have lots of food.  Hamburger or pulled pork sliders are a favorite that are also filling.  Maybe some pizzas or flatbreads.  Keep the food and drink flowing, and I'll stick around for your party.
  • Options
    AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    I think lawn games or cornhole are fine for casual receptions, but any sort of indoor board or card games I would find odd.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I will have plenty of food. It's certainly not fancy, but they do serve a good variety of food there and we plan on ordering a bunch and having it brought out throughout the night, but no formal dinnertime or anything- just grab it as you get hungry kind of thing. And there will be more than enough seats, I just didn't want to tell anyone where to sit.

CElizabeth419, thanks for the suggestions! I will check those out. I didn't really consider board games but it's an idea.

Maggie0829 that's a good point, I'm sure people won't care that much.

I think one of my concerns IS that we won't have enough other ways to entertain people! I guess I shouldn't be too concerned about that because we will have food and drinks and music of some kind...but I just know that a lot of people spend most of their time at weddings on the dance floor and we won't have that option. I think bar games are a good plan, darts would be fun to have. I can ask about that.

So even without the dancing or any of those "traditions" people do at weddings (bouquet toss, cake cutting ceremony, etc.) you don't think people will get bored? If that's the case, great!
  • Options
    tdb05c said:
    I will have plenty of food. It's certainly not fancy, but they do serve a good variety of food there and we plan on ordering a bunch and having it brought out throughout the night, but no formal dinnertime or anything- just grab it as you get hungry kind of thing. And there will be more than enough seats, I just didn't want to tell anyone where to sit.

CElizabeth419, thanks for the suggestions! I will check those out. I didn't really consider board games but it's an idea.

Maggie0829 that's a good point, I'm sure people won't care that much.

I think one of my concerns IS that we won't have enough other ways to entertain people! I guess I shouldn't be too concerned about that because we will have food and drinks and music of some kind...but I just know that a lot of people spend most of their time at weddings on the dance floor and we won't have that option. I think bar games are a good plan, darts would be fun to have. I can ask about that.

So even without the dancing or any of those "traditions" people do at weddings (bouquet toss, cake cutting ceremony, etc.) you don't think people will get bored? If that's the case, great!
    Nope - I don't think people will get bored at all. My H and I had a cocktail style reception and no dancing or throwing flowers or anything and everyone just hung out, ate and talked. It lasted about 3-4 hours and as far as I know, no one was bored. People talked to people they knew and new people. No need for games or anything.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    We are having the option for volleyball, cornhole, ladder ball, and a few other outdoor games if people wish to play, but there definitely won't be any organized ones.  Nor will anyone feel obligated to play, but it's there if they'd like to.  We also have offered the option of a fire pit with smores packets already put together if anyone wants them.  But if no one does, no big deal!
  • Options
    We are gamers, more of our friends are gamers vs partying. Seriously, we play some sort of pen and paper game (DND, Battletech, Mage) at least twice a week. Also I am the youngest on both sides of the extended families so some relatives couldn't be that active dancing. We created a printable for a dice game (Cephlopod, google it) as a favor and bought a bunch of dice (plus reduced worries about food giving candy favors). We shared the game with our friends early to help "teach" it if needed. Also had a few decks of cards handy. 

Day of, more than we expected got up and danced (because well, its a wedding). We also had a big patio available with a veiw, and bar. Most wandered out there after dancing (or to avoid it), plus it was nice weather out there. The favor game worked well to have tired kids play a game with grandparents without being "forced" to interact in their expired state, but that was it (that I saw). Got a lot of complements on it, but it wasn't played too much. We were thinking of having a box of games stashed somewhere, but it was not needed, the cards never came out. If you have an unorganised game just have one, it may get used especially if it's interesting to get photos of it. Most people will fend for themselves if they are bored, and possibly not find your game.
  • Options
    I don't understand the idea of trying to entertain people. You're throwing a party (every wedding reception is a party). You invite people, provide food and drink, and everyone socializes. Sometimes they dance while socializing, sometimes they don't. 

The people who go to bars regularly will be talking and mingling and drinking. The older people who don't go to bars will be talking and mingling and drinking...they may be more likely to sit at tables and talk to each other as opposed to circulating around, but they'll still be socializing. The socially awkward people who don't know how to mingle will likely just talk to each other--regardless of whether they're playing a game or not. 

If there's food and drink and good company, people will stay as long as they feel like staying out. If there are games, it might interrupt the socialization aspect and anyone who's not playing the games may leave earlier, and the people playing would still just stay as long as they would anyway. I really don't see an upside to this. 

It's a celebration. People will be excited and talking. People will WANT to socialize with each other, and with you. If people are sitting at a table and playing a game, it's pretty much the opposite of socializing. Have a game night another time. 
  • Options
    MandyMost said:
    I don't understand the idea of trying to entertain people. You're throwing a party (every wedding reception is a party). You invite people, provide food and drink, and everyone socializes. Sometimes they dance while socializing, sometimes they don't. 

The people who go to bars regularly will be talking and mingling and drinking. The older people who don't go to bars will be talking and mingling and drinking...they may be more likely to sit at tables and talk to each other as opposed to circulating around, but they'll still be socializing. The socially awkward people who don't know how to mingle will likely just talk to each other--regardless of whether they're playing a game or not. 

If there's food and drink and good company, people will stay as long as they feel like staying out. If there are games, it might interrupt the socialization aspect and anyone who's not playing the games may leave earlier, and the people playing would still just stay as long as they would anyway. I really don't see an upside to this. 

It's a celebration. People will be excited and talking. People will WANT to socialize with each other, and with you. If people are sitting at a table and playing a game, it's pretty much the opposite of socializing. Have a game night another time. 

For friends like mine, this doesn't fit. We have lots of friends who love to dance and drink, but also lots of gamers. When I throw a party, I might have karaoke in one room, and board games or tabletop RPGs in another, because I know I have a diverse friend group - some will float back and forth between the two, but some just don't like dancing and socializing in an unstructured environment, particularly if they don't know many. I see nothing no wrong with catering to both, especially when there are crowds of 100 or more. It's probably (sub-)cultural. I think people who spend a lot of time gaming, going related conventions, etc. tend to see this as normal party going, while others don't.
  • Options
    With the location you are having, another vote for the two games are enough. One of the great things about weddings is seeing people you don't see often and getting a chance to talk and catch up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards