Chit Chat
Options

We got a smoker.

So one of our guests gifted us a smoker.  It was one of those items I threw on my Amazon registry thinking nobody would actually buy it, but it showed up on our doorstep this weekend.  I was like "Fuck yeah, gifts are awesome!"  We won't have time to try it out until after the wedding but I'm pretty stoked I can now try the recipes in the "smoker" section of Bobby Flay's BBQ Addiction cookbook.

What wedding gifts did you receive that were pretty awesome?
Married 9.12.15

Re: We got a smoker.

• Options

Money.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    A complete set of Calphalon pots and pans. I came home to find it sitting on my front porch and almost died of excitement.

• Options
    We also got a smoker! Same as you, I put it on the registry not really expecting anyone to get it, but BIL bought it for us. H has smoked tri tip, ribs, brisket, a whole chicken, and salmon - it's all pretty great. He is going to take it to MIL's house for Thanksgiving to try smoking a turkey.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We also didn't ask for a vitamix, but H's aunt sent us one.  I think it's dumb, but he's been getting into smoothies.  Other people are impressed when I say we got a vitamix, so I thought I'd mention it! haha

• Options
    Mmmmmm .... smoked food. Yum!

I was most excited about my four-slice toaster, honestly. When you're making Sunday brunch, you need all your toast done at the same time!

• Options
    I'm so jealous! We registered for a smoker-- I didn't expect to actually get it, and we didn't get it. A couple summers ago H figured out how to turn our regular grill into a smoker but it's a really pain-in-the-ass process and doesn't leave much room for the actual meat. However, he does AMAZING smoked ribs. Omg so good! 

One of my favorite weddings gifts was a set of copper-bottomed pans, and another great gift was a hammock. We go outside pretty much every day and lay in the hammock. Sometimes big dog even jumps up and lays in it with us. I love that thing. 
  • Options
    We got a Griddler Deluxe and we love it. So much better than a Foreman grill!
  • Options
    A Neato Robot vacuum was our "nobody will buy it... but did" gift. That thing is awesome. 

Congrats on the smoker!  DH built one a couple years ago and it's awesome... and the food that comes out of that thing is even more awesome.

• Options
    We got a Griddler Deluxe and we love it. So much better than a Foreman grill!
    I loooooove our Griddler!!  We found it for about $60 before the wedding on the clearance shelf at BBB, so we didn't get to register for it, but it would have been my favorite!

• Options
    MIL bought ALL of our china. All 12 place settings!!!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I was very excited for my Ninja- waiting until after the wedding to open that up though as I don't have the cash to replace it should the wedding not go on for some reason.

And my whipped cream charger- completely frivolous, but I LOVE homemade whipped cream and whipping that shit is a BITCH!  I'm also excited for our percolator; I don't drink much coffee, but when I do, I love it from a percolator.  FFIL has one and he makes the best coffee in his.

I was actually also very excited to get these little shelves on legs so I could get more storage space in my pantry and under my sink.  Studio apartment- every inch of space is precious!
  • Options
    Feeleytobe, isn't it so hard to not use the gifts?  I've received some great kitchen and servingware from both the shower and from people who aren't attending the wedding, and I have to do this cookingpalooza this weekend for the baby shower I'm co-hosting, but I don't feel like I can use any of those gifts since I wouldn't be able to replace them all should for some reason the wedding not happen (highly unlikely as we're less than 3 weeks out).   So they all just sit in our bedroom in a corner, taunting me. 
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    A group of H's friends gave him a splitting maul.  I knew they were going to give him that because one of them was asking me if he had an axe or a maul or xyz wood cutting thing.  They tied a ribbon around the handle.

Also, some friends who couldn't come sent us a box with everything for ice cream sundaes except the ice cream. Scoop, cute little dishes, nuts, cherries, sprinkles, caramel sauce, chocolate sauce.  It was awesome.
  • Options
    I'm so jealous! We registered for a smoker-- I didn't expect to actually get it, and we didn't get it. A couple summers ago H figured out how to turn our regular grill into a smoker but it's a really pain-in-the-ass process and doesn't leave much room for the actual meat. However, he does AMAZING smoked ribs. Omg so good! 

One of my favorite weddings gifts was a set of copper-bottomed pans, and another great gift was a hammock. We go outside pretty much every day and lay in the hammock. Sometimes big dog even jumps up and lays in it with us. I love that thing. 
    I love the idea of a hammock.  We are landscaping our backyard as our next big project so a hammock might end up on the list for that.  Wish I had thought to register for that!
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    H's aunt got us the floor steamer I really wanted. I love that thing. And my mom and sister got me a Shark vacuum. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I would LOVE a smoker. We have a small pellet insert for our gas grill, but a real smoker is probably much better (and easier!).
  • Options

Oh wow!  That's awesome.

You actually fooled me with your thread title-before I opened it I thought this thread was going to be about someone smoking tobacco. ;-)

• Options
    my parents bought us our bedroom suit.  Although it was a few years after the wedding.  

MIL was seeing a married guy for 20-something years.  He couldn't make it to the wedding (for the record, he does attend most family weddings).  He sent an envelope with a couple grand in cash.   That was pretty unexpected.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    We got our backpacking tent from the amazon registry. Didn't see that one coming, but we were really excited about it!
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

Feeleytobe, isn't it so hard to not use the gifts?  I've received some great kitchen and servingware from both the shower and from people who aren't attending the wedding, and I have to do this cookingpalooza this weekend for the baby shower I'm co-hosting, but I don't feel like I can use any of those gifts since I wouldn't be able to replace them all should for some reason the wedding not happen (highly unlikely as we're less than 3 weeks out).   So they all just sit in our bedroom in a corner, taunting me. 

Yes, but the Ninja is really the only thing I haven't opened. The rest of it is small things (some even removed from boxes when gifted) I think I could find the money to replace if it came to that. I'm under 50 days so unless something very unexpected happens I think we'll be good to go.
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:

Oh wow!  That's awesome.

You actually fooled me with your thread title-before I opened it I thought this thread was going to be about someone smoking tobacco. ;-)

I live in Colorado so it could have been about the other kind of smoking too haha!
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    My cousins went together and bought us a free-standing, double wide hammock.  We didn't put it out this summer, but it's going up as soon as we move.  I don't even care that it'll be September.  My ILs bought us our Kitchenaid mixer, which I was shocked about.
    **The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Options
    This post has me tempted to register for a Dyson vac. Just in case.......

• Options
    julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    I totally put the handheld one on mine originally.  I think I removed it because I felt a little guilty.  My $800 grill is on there still... you never know if a group or an entire family might want to get together!  

ETA:  I have plenty of lower cost gifts on my registries too. This post makes me sound like I only put expensive shit on there haha!
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    I totally put the handheld one on mine originally.  I think I removed it because I felt a little guilty.  My $800 grill is on there still... you never know if a group or an entire family might want to get together!  

ETA:  I have plenty of lower cost gifts on my registries too. This post makes me sound like I only put expensive shit on there haha!
    I totally agree! You never know when people will want to chip in for a bigger gift. I don't think it sounds like you only registered for expensive stuff!! It's just fun to share those unexpected gifts :)

• Options
    Really nice, REALLY sharp knives that I am not certain I am adult enough to handle :p
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    Really nice, REALLY sharp knives that I am not certain I am adult enough to handle :p
    My roommate forgot to bring his knives with him, so I considered them a wedding gift!

• Options

Shark>Dyson. True story. And much cheaper.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    My mother is a professional poet, and I think my favorite wedding gift was a beautiful handmade print/calligraphy of a poem that she wrote specifically for our wedding and was one of our ceremony readings.

Another close contender is a custom print Quaker-style wedding certificate that my sister made and was signed by all of our wedding guests.

I still need to get both of these framed...
  • Options
    Shark>Dyson. True story. And much cheaper.
    Oooh good to know! I'm all about cheaper, especially if the quality is still good :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards