Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Cookie Table for DW

I'm looking for some guidance regarding the cookie table.  My family (excluding mom) is nothing but Pittsburgh natives.  FI is from NY and his family was not familiar with the tradition of the cookie table.  So before we had decided on what our wedding would be, we had discussed cookies to the extent that "this is a local tradition," not "this is what we are doing."

We've decided to do a semi-DW (I lived/worked in the town for several years, and about 20% of guests are local), and we are expecting 150 guests.  We decided that we would pass on the table, being that his family wouldn't expect it, and my family lacks bakers.  Over the weekend, my FFIL emailed us saying that he was excited about the cookie table and thought we could incorporate some of their family's recipes....

It's not feasible to transport thousands of cookies to Florida. We are trying to think of options/alternatives to still give a nod to the tradition.  Has anyone seen a local couple do a cookie table if they aren't married locally? I'd appreciate any feedback.

The women in my family are hosting a shower.  Do we have a cookie table at the shower and incorporate the recipes?

Do we look for a bakery in FL that can do all of our recipes for the reception?

Do we see if the venue can do cookie ice cream sandwhiches at the reception?

Thanks!

Re: Cookie Table for DW

• I think you laid out your options pretty thoroughly. Doing it at the shower is probably your most affordable option, since you'll have less people at the shower than the wedding, and it's local.

Having a bakery do it using your recipes is certainly an option, but it could get pricey pretty quickly. So depending on your budget, that may or may not be a feasible option.

Who's going to say no to a cookie ice cream sandwich??

If you don't feel particularly attached to the tradition/don't want to worry about the hassle, you could always just explain your your FFIL that the logistics of it didn't work out so you won't be having one.

Also you could maybe do a little box of cookies for favors? That way you wouldn't need a whole table.
  • I just got married in Pittsburgh (my husband is from NJ, we now live in NY) and although I love the tradition of the cookie table, we didn't want to worry about people baking 6000 cookies (or to purchase them from someone else!) Instead, we ordered Smiley Cookies from http://www.smileycookie.com/ and printed a sticker to place on the back of the cookie that explained the cookie table tradition. We opted for the large heart smiley cookies because they matched our colors and it was a wedding after all :) 

All the Pittsburgh folks loved the cookie (who doesn't love Eat and Park?!) and it was our favor. Plus, you can place your cookie order in advance and have it delivered closer to the wedding date to any destination. If you're interested, I can pass along the language for the cookie label too.
  • I know someone from Pittsburgh who got married quite some distance away, but a cookie table was a family Requirement. They handled it by renting either a hotel room with a full kitchen (one of those extended stay places?) or a house/apartment, not quite sure which, and then several of the family bakers went out a few days early to do the baking. I believe they did limit the variety of cookies that they made due to the limitations, but everyone ended up happy with the end result.

I think they did take anything they considered vital to successful cookie making with them, also. (Hard-to-find ingredients, the Perfect Cookie Sheets that always turn out cookies that are just right, etc.)

So if you have people in your family who'd be up for it, that might be an option and you could potentially even get the future in-laws involved if they're interested? Alternatively, see if you can find a smaller caterer/baker in the area who might be willing to work from your recipes. I'd try independent types, not anyone associated with a hotel or brick-and-mortar bakery, as those places usually have more constraints on what they can do.
  • Thanks for all the great ideas!  We are doing the cookie table at the shower.  My sisters and I are baking over the Christmas break for it.  Hoping for the best on those...

My cousin and her brother offered to do treat bags of our grandma's fudge, lady locks, and FI's mom's pecan tassies for the wedding favors.  They don't live too far away, and will have plenty of room in the car.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards