Wedding Etiquette Forum

Letting Guests Know About Transportation Options

Hi Everyone,

I have a good amount of people coming into my city for the wedding. (Only about 2 months away - woohoo!!)

I made the room block available from Wednesday - Monday just in case people wanted to come in early / stay a little later, etc.  It looks like many are taking advantage of it, and are coming in early for sight seeing.  I have been getting questions about transportation - I don't think they are asking if I am providing it for them, it's more of what is best.

Please note that our ceremony and reception are in two different places, so I am providing transportation for all guests for their convenience on our wedding day.  They don't have to take it, but it's an option for them.

Is it rude to put information on our wedding website about transportation as I have been getting questions?  An edited draft is below (please note everyone is invited to our welcome dinner and farewell brunch, so I would not be putting anything on the website that someone isn't invited to):

* XXX airport to / from the hotel: You are able to take the train. The hotel is located at the xxxx stop.

* XXX airport to / from the hotel: Driving or taking a cab is recommended.  You can also take a shuttle to the nearest train stop, and then take the train to the hotel (xxx stop).

* The hotel to the welcome dinner: Driving, or taking a cab is recommended. You can also take the train, but please keep in mind that it is a good 15 minute walk from the xxxxx stop. If you plan to walk from the train, please have google maps handy to help your party navigate the streets to xxxxx.

* The hotel to our farewell brunch: Driving, or taking a cab is recommended. You are also able to walk from the hotel to XXXXXX in about 15 minutes.

* You are able to take the train from the hotel to all of the major sights in the city.  Please feel free to contact XXXXX at XXXXX if you would like information on tour recommendations.

* You are also able to take a cab to all of the major sights as well.  Please note that it is now mandatory that all cabs accept credit cards.

Please let me know if this is acceptable information for guests before I put it on there.  I'm especially interested if the credit card info about the cabs is okay - I have been asked this three times, so I'm guessing others will want to know as well.

I also don't want it to seem rude that I'm asking guests to find their own transportation to / from the hotel or other events.  And I also know that they are adults and can figure it out on their own, but I have been getting a lot of questions, so I don't know if it's best to list this information on the website so everyone is on the same page?

I welcome your thoughts / ideas / edits.

Thanks!!

Re: Letting Guests Know About Transportation Options

• Are you having a lot of people that have not used public transportation before? I could see you getting questions because of this, but I would think adults that have used public transpiration can figure it out on their own.

For the record, I don't see an issue providing these options for them on your website. I'm sure you will still get asked the same questions directly anyway :)
  • I think what you are doing is fine. For people who are use to using public transportation, they probably won't even notice it. For people who have never used it, they will find it helpful. It isn't rude to expect people  to find their own transportation to and from events.
  • People who are asking you questions now instead of googling it and figuring it out aren't going to look at the website anyway.
  • Thanks everyone!!! I'll put it on there, I also added the average drive time.

You guys are right: even if I put it on the website, I'll prob still get questions because not everyone reads all of that info.

I think most have used public transportation before, but they just weren't sure what the best way to get from location to location was.

Thanks for taking the time to read everything and offer advice!!

• lembasloverlembaslover member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited August 2015
    Yea I put a lot of information like hotel blocks, nearby airports, site seeing stuff on our webpage. I still am getting a lot of questions about it. For the most part though I just describe it and then say if you want more details its also on the wedding website.

But yea I think it's fine if you give that info, I bet some people will find it useful and others will just ignore it if they don't need it.

EDIT because I didn't actually answer the question the first time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think it would be helpful.  While I'm well versed in public transportation, if I'm in a new city it's still nice to know which stops I need etc.  Saves me a few steps in trying to figure it out for myself.   Someone could also print that page from your website to keep with them.  

And yes, some people will still ask, but you can direct them to the site.
    Married 9.12.15
  • I think it's a good thing to include on the website. Also, if you are giving welcome bags, including a printed copy of the above might be helpful to those who might not be as internet savvy.
  • Great thank you!!

I do have a lot of information about the city. Local restaurants that we enjoy, links to the hotel, links to a few tourist sites i use to plan a weekend activity, etc.

Not really sure how many people will read everything, but it's on there. :)

• I am doing welcome bags, and I love this idea. Thanks!! I made a cute welcome note to include in the bags, but I can also add the information about the city, metro map, etc. Great idea!!

• I think this is good, both on a website and in welcome bags.

• People who are asking you questions now instead of googling it and figuring it out aren't going to look at the website anyway.
    I do not think that is always true.  I rather get my info from family and friends then then a google search.  There is still something to be said for local knowledge.   I would appreciate my family/friends providing me the information on the website.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Since you say that driving or taking a cab is recommended, maybe you can also include numbers of cab companies, or mention that Uber is alive and well in this city.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    What you are doing is fine (and helpful!). This is information that is good for a wedding website. If guests want it, it's there. If not, they can still figure stuff out on their own.

We did a lot of this too, on our wedding website. We had a fair amount of OOT guests.

On our wedding website we had a map of the area where we listed the venue, the 2 hotels we had blocks at, and the 2 airports guests could fly into.

We gave directions to the venue (the hotels were near by) from the two airports (as each was in a city, one south, one north, of the venue).

We provided some information on car rentals available at each airport.

We also provided some general information on touristy stuff/ things to do/ which places to visit, as we had a couple of friends who were planning to turn it into a vacation. We included links wherever possible.

The only thing I would add to yours, is links to car rental locations, names of cab companies, and a link to your local transit website.
  • PupatellaPupatella member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2015
    Okay good ideas!! Thanks!! There are tons of cab companies and I never use them so I'll have to ask around before posting any links.

I put a link to the metro map, and also put that all of the major car rental companies are located at both airports. Not sure if more info is needed about the rental cars?

And I am currently laughing. I posted the info on my website this am. Just got another email (about 10 min ago) asking about transportation and what is best. I think people are just more comfortable with directly asking me then looking at the website first.

At least I have it all summarized where I can write something personal and then just copy and paste the main info. Haha.

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I don't think you need to put more about the rental cars- as long as people are aware of what's available (I *think* most people know that airports host car rental companies anyway).

You can always refer guests to look at the wedding website. Or say, "Oh, have you looked at the website yet? I listed a bunch of travel information there". People might still ask, but what is "best" depends on the person, and is hard for you to answer anyway.
  • Definitely agree!! I am just giving them options, but the ultimate decision is up to them.

• Pupatella said:
    Okay good ideas!! Thanks!! There are tons of cab companies and I never use them so I'll have to ask around before posting any links. I put a link to the metro map, and also put that all of the major car rental companies are located at both airports. Not sure if more info is needed about the rental cars? And I am currently laughing. I posted the info on my website this am. Just got another email (about 10 min ago) asking about transportation and what is best. I think people are just more comfortable with directly asking me then looking at the website first. At least I have it all summarized where I can write something personal and then just copy and paste the main info. Haha.
    well they could have looked at the website earlier and just now decided to email.    I found a lot of people do not bother with websites.  Honestly I often do not look at websites of couples, if I do it'a one and done type thing.  So if you changed it I wouldn't really know.

Make up a word and email them the attachment or just cut and paste. :p

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I think your info is great. Also, not sure if I'm preaching to the choir here, but Google Maps has a public transportation option. 

I use it all the time, even as a city-dweller who mostly knows how to get places. Sometimes I just wonder how long it's going to take me, and the option is awesome for that too. 

Not sure how to do screen shots here, but there's a car icon, a train icon, and a person (walking) icon. You can set it by "depart at" or "arrive by" with a variety of preferred options (like "least walking" or "fewest transfers).  I swear by it, and maybe it's wise to also provide your guests with this directive. Maybe people who don't usually use public transit know that Google Maps has the option. 

I'm not going to do a Google search.  I'd rather get the answers straight from the source-whether it's on a website or directly from the couple in some other way.

If the couple are already being asked these questions, maybe they're tired of having to answer individually for each person asking.  Putting it on a website and letting whoever know that the answers are all there can save everyone some time.

• Also, some Google results can be inaccurate or confusing.   I hate using Google directions in Boston.
  • I think your info is great. Also, not sure if I'm preaching to the choir here, but Google Maps has a public transportation option. 

I use it all the time, even as a city-dweller who mostly knows how to get places. Sometimes I just wonder how long it's going to take me, and the option is awesome for that too. 

Not sure how to do screen shots here, but there's a car icon, a train icon, and a person (walking) icon. You can set it by "depart at" or "arrive by" with a variety of preferred options (like "least walking" or "fewest transfers).  I swear by it, and maybe it's wise to also provide your guests with this directive. Maybe people who don't usually use public transit know that Google Maps has the option. 
    I use google maps, walking, public transportation, etc.  sometimes.  

My DH use to live and worked in NYC, even with google maps on his phone he often calls up his buddies directly to get the best route.  

• Thanks everyone for the awesome suggestions!!! Greatly appreciated.

I definitely agree with a pp that most people will only look at our website once, and not look for updates.

At least the info is there for people, and I can direct them to it the next time I'm asked. :)

Also - Google maps is a life saver here!! I'm in the DC area. I created a Google map of where all of our events are. (It's really easy to do and my FI really loved it!) I posted a link to it on the website. It's really hard to give directions in this city as traffic is so unpredictable here. I definitely agree that plugging in the address into Google maps and letting it get you there is the best way to drive around here.

Thank you everyone for the fantastic ideas!!

• Jen4948 said:

People who are asking you questions now instead of googling it and figuring it out aren't going to look at the website anyway.

I'm not going to do a Google search.  I'd rather get the answers straight from the source-whether it's on a website or directly from the couple in some other way.

If the couple are already being asked these questions, maybe they're tired of having to answer individually for each person asking.  Putting it on a website and letting whoever know that the answers are all there can save everyone some time.

You wouldn't google to find the website? I find it super entitled to expect the couple to answer these questions. Adult better! It's not that hard!
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015

Jen4948 said:

People who are asking you questions now instead of googling it and figuring it out aren't going to look at the website anyway.

You wouldn't google to find the website? I find it super entitled to expect the couple to answer these questions. Adult better! It's not that hard!

That's bullshit. If hosts want guests to attend, and guests have questions that need answering, there's nothing the fuck "entitled" about expecting hosts to convey the most basic logistical information about the event they're being invited to. Otherwise, yeah, a basic part of hosting is to be the guests' point person for answering questions. If the hosts can't be bothered to answer questions without dismissing them with "Google it," which isn't always reliable or accurate, or accusing their guests of being "entitled," then they have no business inviting anyone to anything.

The bolded really made me laugh. When friends drive to visit me in the city they always ask me where to park! I'm like, WHEREVER YOU CAN FIND SPACE. Adult better, haha. 

• It's kind-of sad we are considered entitled if we want to get our friends/family's personal opinion about things like parking, the best subway stop, driving route, restaurants, etc.

I have knotties all the time PM me for advice on the USVI. I've never said  "ever heard of google, yelp, tripadvisor".   No, I answer the question because they are looking for local knowledge. These are not even my real life friends.  Of course, I'm going to help a real life friend or family.

Google can be helpful (I use it myself fairly often), but it's not the be all end all.  Sometimes I want to know my family/friends opinion instead.

The bolded really made me laugh. When friends drive to visit me in the city they always ask me where to park! I'm like, WHEREVER YOU CAN FIND SPACE. Adult better, haha. 
    We do not have parking where I work.   If I said "wherever you can find space" then some people will get their cars towed.  Mostly because parking signs in our area are not clearly marked.  As a local I know, as someone not from the area they might not.   Plus as a local I often can direct them to an area that is often spaces instead of them just going down random streets looking for something. Or I can direct them to the less expensive parking garage that is just a block farther away, but saves them $5 a night.

Again, do not under-estimate local knowledge.

• Just wanted to add that I agree that google maps is not always the best route.  I live a bit out of town and there is an expensive toll road that goes near our house.  Google maps always gives the first set of directions to include this toll road to get to our house.  So someone from out of town wouldn't realize that there are other ways to avoid paying the $5+ in tolls (invoice for it is mailed to their house based on the address tied to their license plate).   It also doesn't always take into account road construction.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • I use Google maps all the time for travelling, but rarely does it give the easiest route.

To get to our new house, it takes people a back way that includes 6 turns. If they just 100 yards further up the highway and took the main exit to our town, it would only be 1 turn. The back way doesn't even have street lights since it is country roads. None of our friends or family are familiar with our new town, so the way I tell them is much easier and less stress inducing than what Google maps says to do.

In our old town, Google maps would have people take the first exit into town they came to and finish the trip in town, when the best way to get there was to go up 3 more exits.

Local knowledge pretty much always trumps Google maps, in my experience. I use Google when I am travelling because I don't know locals, but would always prefer to ask someone I know.
  • Also forgot to add because our house/neighborhood is new, it doesn't even show up on people's car GPS systems.  We learned that at our housewarming party.  

Moral of the story, providing old school written directions is still the best way, especially for something that requires someone to be on time.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Just wanted to add that I agree that google maps is not always the best route.  I live a bit out of town and there is an expensive toll road that goes near our house.  Google maps always gives the first set of directions to include this toll road to get to our house.  So someone from out of town wouldn't realize that there are other ways to avoid paying the $5+ in tolls (invoice for it is mailed to their house based on the address tied to their license plate).   It also doesn't always take into account road construction.  
    Been burned on that one road @julieanne912.    2 different agencies charge you too!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards