Wedding Party
Options

Who should be in charge of FG and RB

Hi! Needing some advice (I am getting too much from my family regarding this!!)

My RBs are my twin nephews who will be 15 months at my wedding. I planned on having them sit in a wagon and get pulled down the aisle as they will still be so little and barely walking at that time. We recently found out that my fiance's sister is now expecting a baby as well! Not sure of boy or girl yet, but will be only 6 months at my wedding.

Who should pull the wagon down the aisle at the ceremony, and what should I do with the 6 month old? Don't want to leave them out totally. Originally i was going to have my sister (MOH) pull her sons in the wagon, but people have told me that seems strange and it should be my mother instead.

HELP!

Thanks!! :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Who should be in charge of FG and RB

• Options
    Hi! Needing some advice (I am getting too much from my family regarding this!!)

My RBs are my twin nephews who will be 15 months at my wedding. I planned on having them sit in a wagon and get pulled down the aisle as they will still be so little and barely walking at that time. We recently found out that my fiance's sister is now expecting a baby as well! Not sure of boy or girl yet, but will be only 6 months at my wedding.

Who should pull the wagon down the aisle at the ceremony, and what should I do with the 6 month old? Don't want to leave them out totally. Originally i was going to have my sister (MOH) pull her sons in the wagon, but people have told me that seems strange and it should be my mother instead.

HELP!

Thanks!! :)

Lose the wagon.  It poses a safety hazard-what if it tips over while one of the kids is in it?  What if someone slams it into someone else walking down the aisle or whatever?

If the kids aren't big enough to make it down the aisle by themselves without adult help, then just take photos with them rather than trying to get them down the aisle.

• Options
    I don't see a problem with their mom/MOH pulling the wagon. That would be the normal order anyway. 

As long as it's not a wagon built in 1940 and your aisle isn't a steep slope, I don't see any safety issues with a mother pulling her children in a wagon.
    This.  A lot of kids get pulled around in wagons (see it all the time at July 4th parades/fireworks) by their parents.  Now if you wanted a 3 year old to pull it then I would be changing my tune, but I think a parent can handle pulling their kids in a wagon.

As for the 6 month old I really don't think you need to include him/her.  I mean the 15 months old won't remember being in your wedding but the 6 month old really won't remember being in your wedding.  I would just have the 6 month old sit in Grandma's or her/his Father's lap.

• Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2015
    I don't see a problem with their mom/MOH pulling the wagon. That would be the normal order anyway. 

As long as it's not a wagon built in 1940 and your aisle isn't a steep slope, I don't see any safety issues with a mother pulling her children in a wagon.
    This.  A lot of kids get pulled around in wagons (see it all the time at July 4th parades/fireworks) by their parents.  Now if you wanted a 3 year old to pull it then I would be changing my tune, but I think a parent can handle pulling their kids in a wagon.

As for the 6 month old I really don't think you need to include him/her.  I mean the 15 months old won't remember being in your wedding but the 6 month old really won't remember being in your wedding.  I would just have the 6 month old sit in Grandma's or her/his Father's lap.
    meh, I'm siding with Jen on this one.    

I've also seen parents pull their kids on wagons.  I've also seen the kid try to stand up, fall down, try to get out of the wagon.  At a park on 4th of July is one thing, an alise of a church is another.  (assuming it's a church, if it's outside then there could be other issues like uneven terrain).  It's not 'cute' to me.

If it's anyone other than the parents you get into the issue where kids that age tend to want to be with their parents who is within sight.

I also think if they are too young to walk by themselves they have no business being a  wedding.   So take my opinion with a grain of salt.

ETA  - I should add I think it's too early to even nail down any plans here.    Let's assume since you just found out about your FSIL she is about 3 months along.   That means you have about a year away.   That means the twins are only a few months old now.    So much can happen between now and then. Kids at that age change so much from week to week and month to month at that age.  An idea that sounds good now is pretty bad a year later.        

Twins also have a built in partner in crime.  So what might work for a singleton doesn't always work for twins.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I suppose some 15-month-olds might be 'barely walking' but I know several small children who were up and running around a year (literally, one boy went from crawling to straight up running skipping the walking phase within a week of his first birthday). Certainly I can easily imagine such children attempting to climb out of a wagon to disastrous result. Skip it. Take pictures with the babies and call it a day.
  • Options
    I guess when I am envisioning this wagon I am envisioning one of those larger wagons with taller sides and seat belts so that the kids can't try and climb out of the wagon.

IMO, all flower girls and ring bearers are essentially props because they really don't serve any other purpose but to look cute.

• Options
    Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

I definitely have a lot of time to think about it, just thought I would put it out there since it was brought up in my family. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I guess when I am envisioning this wagon I am envisioning one of those larger wagons with taller sides and seat belts so that the kids can't try and climb out of the wagon.

IMO, all flower girls and ring bearers are essentially props because they really don't serve any other purpose but to look cute.
    I'm picturing this:

• Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015

Viczaesar said:

I'm picturing this:
    I am picturing this, minus the canopy.

ETA: I think we need to remember that wagons have evolved since the basic metal one's and that there are more options to use then what you pictured. You know, one's with seats and seatbelts.

• Options
    OP, you need to find out if your venue will even allow children to be pulled in a wagon. 
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    zitiqueen said:
    OP, you need to find out if your venue will even allow children to be pulled in a wagon. 

I'd skip this and avoid the wagon altogether.  Honestly, if your kids can't get up and down the aisle without someone pushing or carrying them in a wagon, cart, carriage, or stroller, they're too young to go up and down the aisle.

• Options

Also, remember that even at 15 months and NOT walking, they are probably going to be mobile enough to attempt an escape.

I had my 2 nephews as my ring bearers.  The younger one was just under 2 and he did not make it down the aisle.  He was named as a ring bearer and given a gift as if he participated in the wedding, but he was really a RB in name only.  So you can still have these kids as your RB or FGs, but they don't have to actually go down the aisle to fulfill their role.  I wouldn't even give the parents any specific wardrobe instructions, since they are so young.

• Options

Viczaesar said:

I'm picturing this:
    I am picturing this, minus the canopy.

ETA: I think we need to remember that wagons have evolved since the basic metal one's and that there are more options to use then what you pictured. You know, one's with seats and seatbelts.
    There may be more options (though I've never seen any IRL), but that doesn't mean that's what people are picturing when they talk about having a kid pulled down the aisle in a wagon.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards