Wedding Invitations & Paper

Save the Date timing?

I've seen a few different time frames on sending save the dates, but most common looks to be about six months. I'm getting married in May 2016, so six months would fall in December 2015 - right around the holidays. My mom and I think that's a bad time to send since everyone is bombarded with Christmas cards, advertisements, etc., so we are thinking of either sending them in early November or early January after the new year.

I would say 90% of our guest list is local, besides some family from out of state who we told the date when we booked the venue just to be safe. Any thoughts on when we should send? Do you think December is a bad time too or are we just being paranoid?

Re: Save the Date timing?

• You can send them anywhere up to a year out. So if I were you, I'd beat the holiday rush and send them in late October/early November.

Just make sure your STDs only go to people you are 100% sure you want to invite. Because once they go out, those people are invited and you really can't take it back if budget/plans change.
    *********************************************************************************

• Well save the dates are never required and are typically only really useful to guests who are OOT due to them needing to make travel and lodging arrangements.

But you can send STDs anywhere from 6-12 months in advance, so if you want to send them tomorrow you would be well within the right time frame.

• I'd recommend sending them before the holidays rather than waiting until after. Giving the OOT and even your local friends and family an extra month or so to be aware of exactly when your wedding day will do you no harm.
  • PupatellaPupatella member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2015
    We sent ours out about 11 months in advance which just happened to correspond with the holidays (although most of our guests are from OOT). We went through magnet street to order our STD's (although I'm sure other companies do this as well). They have a holiday card that you can purchase which matches the design of your STD, and then insert your STD magnet into the holiday card. We chose this option since we were sending ours out around the holidays.

But I also think that sending them out now, or before the holidays, is perfectly fine too. I think OOT guests will greatly appreciate knowing as soon as possible so they can plan accordingly. 

We didn't have our exact date until the middle of November last year, and wanted to give family and friends a decent heads up.

ETA: We also had our website up and running when we sent out our STD's, and guests OOT greatly appreciated this. We already had room blocks, info, etc. all there for them to glance over. 

• I've seen a few different time frames on sending save the dates, but most common looks to be about six months. I'm getting married in May 2016, so six months would fall in December 2015 - right around the holidays. My mom and I think that's a bad time to send since everyone is bombarded with Christmas cards, advertisements, etc., so we are thinking of either sending them in early November or early January after the new year.

I would say 90% of our guest list is local, besides some family from out of state who we told the date when we booked the venue just to be safe. Any thoughts on when we should send? Do you think December is a bad time too or are we just being paranoid?
    STDates are not necessary.  Send them out if you want to, but if 90% of your guests are local, you can just, oh, I don't know, talk to them and tell them that you're planning on inviting them to your wedding, so if they could Save that Date for you, that'd be awesome.  I think STDates are an unnecessary expense.
  • Pupatella said:
    We sent ours out about 11 months in advance which just happened to correspond with the holidays (although most of our guests are from OOT). We went through magnet street to order our STD's (although I'm sure other companies do this as well). They have a holiday card that you can purchase which matches the design of your STD, and then insert your STD magnet into the holiday card. We chose this option since we were sending ours out around the holidays.

But I also think that sending them out now, or before the holidays, is perfectly fine too. I think OOT guests will greatly appreciate knowing as soon as possible so they can plan accordingly. 

We didn't have our exact date until the middle of November last year, and wanted to give family and friends a decent heads up.

ETA: We also had our website up and running when we sent out our STD's, and guests OOT greatly appreciated this. We already had room blocks, info, etc. all there for them to glance over. 
    That's what I'm shooting for so that the website is ready when we send them out. Right now we still need to block rooms and are still waiting on our engagement photos which I'd like to include on the website, but after that I think we'll be good.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Sounds like I'm not too early even if I sent them now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards