Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Bored? Help me with our RD menu please.

edited September 2015 in Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
So we've had to move our RD to a new venue to accommodate the larger # of guests now that FMIL has decided to add several more people (more of her relatives) to the RD list. They are paying, so it makes zero difference to me, except that now we need to come up with a menu. The venue suggests for a group this size (50ish) that we offer a pared-down menu, rather than the whole thing. They suggest choosing some apps to have served to each table. We were thinking chips & salsa (theirs is really good), the queso, and their guacamole which we also really liked. For the menus given to the guests they suggested a choice of either the Ancho Chicken Tortilla Soup, the Ensalada Verde, or the Tomatillo Wedge; and then 4-6 entree choices. They are doing some sort of dessert (I can't remember but it sounded tasty and I don't care about dessert) plus I am having a cake made because it is one of my BM's birthdays.

Which menu items would you be happiest to see as options? I know I need to have a variety, and have addressed that we need at least one veggie option (which may have to be a veg version of the enchiladas or the linguine verde since this menu is a meatfest). I have my favs, but I eat a lot of things that not everyone enjoys, so outside opinions are good.

I think for booze we are going to stick with all of the beers, 4 wine choices (red, white, dry rose' and bubbles) and then a top shelf (fresh lime, not sour mix) margarita. With 50 people, flooding the bar with the entire cocktail list could make the bartenders hate us. Also, I don't want to wait 30 minutes for my drink because of it.

Menu:
http://verdesmexican.com/menu.html

Re: Bored? Help me with our RD menu please.

• The Carne Verde and the Pascano were my two favorite options.

The chips and salsa with margaritas also sounds amazing!!

Your RD sounds fun. It's thoughtful how you are having a cake for you BMs bday.

Hope this helps!!

• One suggestion is something without the spice factor going for it.  Not everyone can take spicy/heat foods. 
  • GUACAMOLE. ALL OF IT.

Anyway...your apps sound good. I agree with your booze options as well.

For entrees, everything sounds good, but I, like you, will eat most things that other people may not. I think the carne asada or carne verde are pretty basic options that most people who eat meat will enjoy. The angus ribeye looks simple, to @mesmrewe 's point.   I think the chile ala parilla could easily easily be made veggie, though not vegan (not sure if this matters for your group).The shrimp mojo I think is also a fairly universally appealing choice. I think the pollo verde is also a good option.

Wish I was coming to your RD! I may have to order Mexican tonight...

• We are doing Mexican for our RD too! I'm a vegetarian and I would be super excited for the vegetarian versions of both of the entree's you mentioned or the chile ala parilla that @missa011 mentioned! 

If it's just one person that you know of who will need it you might want to reach out to them and see what they'd prefer. I know I always have a bit of anxiety when there's a reduced menu not knowing if there will be a veggie option so knowing ahead of time that'd be amazing. It's not necessary if you don't really know the person and I would never expect it but I'm always very grateful when I'm told ahead of time there's a veggie option.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are doing Mexican for our RD too! I'm a vegetarian and I would be super excited for the vegetarian versions of both of the entree's you mentioned or the chile ala parilla that @missa011 mentioned! 

If it's just one person that you know of who will need it you might want to reach out to them and see what they'd prefer. I know I always have a bit of anxiety when there's a reduced menu not knowing if there will be a veggie option so knowing ahead of time that'd be amazing. It's not necessary if you don't really know the person and I would never expect it but I'm always very grateful when I'm told ahead of time there's a veggie option.
    I actually don't know that there are any off the top of my head. One of my BMs used to be but the power of bacon brought her back :) I just don't know all of the guests since 50+ of the guests are Fi's side and 20-something are mine (his family is WAY bigger than mine, hence the reason for the venue change). I would simply hate for someone to show up and have nothing to eat but starters. I know we have vegetarians coming to the wedding and that has been addressed, but eating nothing but salad and (even amazing) guacamole the night before would be a little disappointing.

I actually don't know that there are any off the top of my head. One of my BMs used to be but the power of bacon brought her back :) I just don't know all of the guests since 50+ of the guests are Fi's side and 20-something are mine (his family is WAY bigger than mine, hence the reason for the venue change). I would simply hate for someone to show up and have nothing to eat but starters. I know we have vegetarians coming to the wedding and that has been addressed, but eating nothing but salad and (even amazing) guacamole the night before would be a little disappointing.
    That makes sense, if you don't know who they are then it'd be hard to ask them, my suggestion was really just if you knew Aunt Susie was one or something. I think any of the three entrees mentioned would make most vegetarians happy. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That menu sounds great, can I come?!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I think the pollo palomino sounds amazing. Of course, I'm a huge fan of poblano peppers. Also the bacon wrapped shrimp, can't go wrong with that!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards