Chit Chat

The annoying neighbor

Out of 5 days that we spent working on our new house, the new neighbor has showed up 4 times. 

The first time she stopped by we thought it was really nice of her. She was super drunk, and kept telling us how drunk she was and how all she does is drink. Ok, whatever. She kept rambling on and on, so after a while we started dropping hints that it was time for her to go. We were literally holding wet paint brushes in our hands and really needed to get the painting done. But it took her quite a while to get the hint. 

She came back the next day, drunk again, and wanted us to come over. Again, we were right in the middle of work (we haven't moved in there yet, so if we're there then we're busy working our asses off on the billion things we need to do). Again, it took her quite a while to leave. 

Third day, H's entire family was in our house working and she showed up drunk AGAIN (totally wasted at 2 in the afternoon. I was on a Lowe's run so I missed it but SIL said she was slurring and "really pushing" for H and I to come over, despite the fact that she could clearly see we had a house full of people all working. 

Yesterday we were only at the house for a little bit because we were exhausted and just planned to check on a few things quickly and then leave. As we're pulling out of the driveway, she appears behind our car and H almost hits her. Scared the crap out of us. This time, she has brought her husband over "to look at our electrical problems." We had mentioned in one convo that we've hired an electrician to upgrade something. He's already hired and scheduled. Why she thought she should bring her husband over to look at our stuff is beyond me. 

She was drunk again, holding a huge margarita, and H immediately told her "Sorry, we're heading out now. We're really tired." And again she wouldn't stop talking to the point that we finally said "ok bye!" and just drove away. 

I'm annoyed now. She's annoying. When I have tons of stuff to do, I hate being interrupted. It's a huge waste of time. I also hate hate hate hate when people just show up to my house unannounced. 

Who else has a crazy/annoying neighbor story? 

Re: The annoying neighbor

• Why are you answering the door/letting her in/stopping to talk to her.

"Now isn't a good time. Bye." Or "please leave, we're busy." She's drunkenly hassling you. It's not nice and you don't need to be polite.
  • does she just walk in the house when you've been painting and stuff? If so lock that door (and make sure locks have changed from the previous owner in case she had a key).
  • Why are you answering the door/letting her in/stopping to talk to her. "Now isn't a good time. Bye." Or "please leave, we're busy." She's drunkenly hassling you. It's not nice and you don't need to be polite.
    Yeah, we'll be implementing the bolded. The first time she stopped by she said she just wanted to welcome us to the neighborhood. We've been in our current neighborhood for 2.5 years and no one has ever bothered to talk to us. We don't know a single neighbor. And she's around our age, so we were like "Oh cool, a friendly neighbor! We can have some new friends! How fun." But  we've changed our minds now lol. 
  • kvruns said:
    does she just walk in the house when you've been painting and stuff? If so lock that door (and make sure locks have changed from the previous owner in case she had a key).
    We keep the doors locked because our first day there, a different neighbor just walked right into our kitchen unannounced. We've been told several times that it's a very "close-knit" street where everyone knows everyone and they all hang out and help each other with stuff. I'm not that social lol. And we've already had a lock smith come over to re-key everything, and I added a lock to the basement door that leads into the garage because there wasn't one on there yet. 

So at least she rings the doorbell. But seriously, who shows up at someone's house EVERY DAY??? 

• weird!! I like to be social too but that's ridiculous.
  • kvruns said:
    weird!! I like to be social too but that's ridiculous.
    It is weird. H keeps joking that we've moved to Stepford. 
  • Geez this sounds like a nightmare!!! Maybe Lowe's sells crazy neighbor repellent.....

• gaaaah noooo!! We hate socializing too, especially when we're busy working on something. Lock the door, get curtains/ blinds. Let her ring the bell 1,000 times and ignore it. Even if she knows you're there because of your car, ignore! We call this enforcing the Jehovas Witness tactics. Under NO circumstances give her your last name/ accept an online friend request!

What a psycho.

I haven't really had an crazy neighbors except one apartment years ago. This dude on the middle floor was like 40 and single and just a gross creepo. He left a love note on my roommate's car (we were 24). And took my best friend to court because she lived downstairs and he said her dog was trying to attack him. The dog was a 9 pound maltese that never even went near him or licked him.

• Is it too late to sell the house and move somewhere else?

Or worst neighbor was a very aggressive warrior for Christ. He would wait on his porch every day, and corner me in my driveway to tell me about church and Jesus. He had the pastor send letters to our house, chastising us for not being in church. It was very tiresome. They were nice enough people otherwise, but I don't miss them.
  • The next time she brings her husband over, you should say something to him (if he's sober). Just tell him that his wife needs to stop coming over without an invitation first. Maybe he doesn't realize what a problem it's becoming.
  • Several years ago I had a similar always drunk neighbor.  She seemed friendly enough, until she started banging on my door at 2 am EVERY night, just because she was drunk and bored and wanted to hang out... um, I had to work in the morning, so no I did not want to hang out all night. But, she continued to come over at obscene hours on a regular basis... even after I got harsh and told her to fuck off and leave me alone. She also did this to one of our other neighbors.  Other neighbor finally got a restraining order against her.  I was about to do the same when drunk, crazy girl finally got evicted.

• Ugh, what a nightmare! This is what I don't like about the 'burbs. I don't really want to socialize with my neighbors. You can call me antisocial or a hermit or whatever. Sure, a block party or a backyard BBQ once every few months is nice, but 99% of the time when I'm home I wanna be left alone.

My sister has a neighbor like this - a catty, gossipy, alcoholic stay-at-home mom with WAY too much time on her hands. She comes over all the time with a glass of wine and starts talking shit about the other women in the cul-de-sac. My sister knows from the other neighbors that this woman calls my sister's family "white trash" behind her back because my BIL works in construction (*gasp*) and my niece goes to public school (*double gasp*). My sister runs and hides whenever she sees her coming up the driveway to knock on the door.
  • zitiqueen said:
    The next time she brings her husband over, you should say something to him (if he's sober). Just tell him that his wife needs to stop coming over without an invitation first. Maybe he doesn't realize what a problem it's becoming.
    Why would you say something to the H? Husband isn't her babysitter.  If the problem is with her, then speak to her. She is an adult after all.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • What a nightmare! We had a neighbor like that and one night she told us she was locked out, so my dad went over with her {and myself I tow because I was curious} He was going to bust the latch in the kitchen window to remove the glass and screen. He almost does it when some guy barrels out of the house yelling "WHO THE F**K IS OUT HERE!? WHAT THE F**K IS GOING ON!?"

I backed right the hell away terrified, my dad explained the situation and our neighbor was just sort of standing there spacey. Guy that came out looks at her and mumbles something. My guess is he kicked her out for being drunk.

Random fact, I see her on my bus and she's moved now. I think the alcohol has caused long term damage because she's quite shaky now and a little twitchy.
  • Ugh, what a nightmare! This is what I don't like about the 'burbs. I don't really want to socialize with my neighbors. You can call me antisocial or a hermit or whatever. Sure, a block party or a backyard BBQ once every few months is nice, but 99% of the time when I'm home I wanna be left alone.

My sister has a neighbor like this - a catty, gossipy, alcoholic stay-at-home mom with WAY too much time on her hands. She comes over all the time with a glass of wine and starts talking shit about the other women in the cul-de-sac. My sister knows from the other neighbors that this woman calls my sister's family "white trash" behind her back because my BIL works in construction (*gasp*) and my niece goes to public school (*double gasp*). My sister runs and hides whenever she sees her coming up the driveway to knock on the door.
    I'm the same way. I guess I'm more antisocial than I thought because when I get home from work, I just want to be home and not be bothered by anyone. My mom raised me to believe that it's very rude to drop in unannounced/uninvited. I would never do that to someone, so I don't get it when people think it's ok to do to me. I think we were too nice the first time she came over, but the first time it seemed like she really just wanted to say hi so no big deal. Ugh. 
  • What a nightmare! We had a neighbor like that and one night she told us she was locked out, so my dad went over with her {and myself I tow because I was curious} He was going to bust the latch in the kitchen window to remove the glass and screen. He almost does it when some guy barrels out of the house yelling "WHO THE F**K IS OUT HERE!? WHAT THE F**K IS GOING ON!?"

I backed right the hell away terrified, my dad explained the situation and our neighbor was just sort of standing there spacey. Guy that came out looks at her and mumbles something. My guess is he kicked her out for being drunk.

Random fact, I see her on my bus and she's moved now. I think the alcohol has caused long term damage because she's quite shaky now and a little twitchy.
    Wow. That's one of those things that's kind of funny but it's not funny! 
  • KatWAG said:
    zitiqueen said:
    The next time she brings her husband over, you should say something to him (if he's sober). Just tell him that his wife needs to stop coming over without an invitation first. Maybe he doesn't realize what a problem it's becoming.
    Why would you say something to the H? Husband isn't her babysitter.  If the problem is with her, then speak to her. She is an adult after all.
    Oh I agree, something needs to be said to the wife if she isn't getting the hints that are being dropped. But if that doesn't solve the problem, I think it's time to involve the husband. Nobody should feel like a prisoner in their own home because the drunk next door is bored.
  • zitiqueen said:
    KatWAG said:
    zitiqueen said:
    Oh I agree, something needs to be said to the wife if she isn't getting the hints that are being dropped. But if that doesn't solve the problem, I think it's time to involve the husband. Nobody should feel like a prisoner in their own home because the drunk next door is bored.
    Maybe I'll just hand her a paintbrush and put her to work next time she decides to show up. "Here, you can work or you can get the fuck out. And no talking." But then again I don't want drunky mcdrunkerson messing up the paint job. 
  • zitiqueen said:
    KatWAG said:
    zitiqueen said:
    Maybe I'll just hand her a paintbrush and put her to work next time she decides to show up. "Here, you can work or you can get the fuck out. And no talking." But then again I don't want drunky mcdrunkerson messing up the paint job. 
    My thoughts exactly. Lol.

I'm the same way. I guess I'm more antisocial than I thought because when I get home from work, I just want to be home and not be bothered by anyone. My mom raised me to believe that it's very rude to drop in unannounced/uninvited. I would never do that to someone, so I don't get it when people think it's ok to do to me. I think we were too nice the first time she came over, but the first time it seemed like she really just wanted to say hi so no big deal. Ugh. 
    Yeah I do not feel the need to make friends with my neighbours. When I first moved into my place, my next-door neighbour introduced herself to me from her deck. We say hello when we see each other, I've borrowed her can opener, she's received my mail, but we're not buddies. A couple weeks after I moved in, I was raking leaves in the backyard and another neighbour from three houses down appeared beside me to introduce himself and chat about my grandparents?! Nice enough man but that was too invasive for my liking haha.

Funnily enough I just read this story on reddit about a even more invasive neighbour than either yours or mine: My neighbors didn't like the color of my house was so they had it painted a different color while I was out of town
    I couldn't  believe this so I googled it and found the following update:  Holy Hell!

"I was going to wait until the after the weekend to talk to the lawyer I used for their last lawsuit against me, but there have been further developments so I had to call him this morning. Beyond the fact that they have filed another lawsuit against me for the cost of the painters (yes, seriously) I can't say anything further about what has all happened, on the advice of my lawyer. I will provide an update once everything is resolved.

Edit: Thank-you to everyone who responded to my last post. You really know how to make a girl feel special :p"

• PupatellaPupatella member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2015

"I was going to wait until the after the weekend to talk to the lawyer I used for their last lawsuit against me, but there have been further developments so I had to call him this morning. Beyond the fact that they have filed another lawsuit against me for the cost of the painters (yes, seriously) I can't say anything further about what has all happened, on the advice of my lawyer. I will provide an update once everything is resolved.

Edit: Thank-you to everyone who responded to my last post. You really know how to make a girl feel special :p"

This is unbelievable!! Well at least she now has proof that they are the ones who hired the company that painted her house. Beyond ridiculous.

• Yeah I do not feel the need to make friends with my neighbours. When I first moved into my place, my next-door neighbour introduced herself to me from her deck. We say hello when we see each other, I've borrowed her can opener, she's received my mail, but we're not buddies. A couple weeks after I moved in, I was raking leaves in the backyard and another neighbour from three houses down appeared beside me to introduce himself and chat about my grandparents?! Nice enough man but that was too invasive for my liking haha.

Funnily enough I just read this story on reddit about a even more invasive neighbour than either yours or mine: My neighbors didn't like the color of my house was so they had it painted a different color while I was out of town
    I couldn't  believe this so I googled it and found the following update:  Holy Hell!

That whole story is just....what the fuck.  

• novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015
    Ugh, what a nightmare! This is what I don't like about the 'burbs. I don't really want to socialize with my neighbors. You can call me antisocial or a hermit or whatever. Sure, a block party or a backyard BBQ once every few months is nice, but 99% of the time when I'm home I wanna be left alone.
    Yeah I do not feel the need to make friends with my neighbours. When I first moved into my place, my next-door neighbour introduced herself to me from her deck. We say hello when we see each other, I've borrowed her can opener, she's received my mail, but we're not buddies. A couple weeks after I moved in, I was raking leaves in the backyard and another neighbour from three houses down appeared beside me to introduce himself and chat about my grandparents?! Nice enough man but that was too invasive for my liking haha.

Holy hell! That poor lady. I hope she sues the crap out of them. Ugh. They make my annoying neighbor seem awesome by comparison lol. People are fucking nuts.

ETA you better believe if they did that to me, I'd be painting my house the most obnoxious shade of yellow known to man, and suing them to pay for it. Ha.  

Basically. It's sad but honestly I have very little sympathy for her now, knowing that she pretty much did it to herself.

Basically. It's sad but honestly I have very little sympathy for her now, knowing that she pretty much did it to herself.
    Oh I meant the part about her being kicked out. The story is kind of funny. The after effects on her health are just sad. 
  • Stop answering the door?

Are you able to look out of a window discreetly to see who is at your door without that person knowing you are looking?  If so, just stop answering the door when you see that it's her.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

Are you able to look out of a window discreetly to see who is at your door without that person knowing you are looking?  If so, just stop answering the door when you see that it's her.
    That's definitely my plan. The problem is, we have HUGE living room windows, and the window treatments are gone since we're painting all the walls. So if I'm anywhere in that area of the house, she can see me from a mile away. 

Last night I went there and purposely only painted the hallway so I wouldn't be in her sight. I just did not feel like dealing with her. 

That's definitely my plan. The problem is, we have HUGE living room windows, and the window treatments are gone since we're painting all the walls. So if I'm anywhere in that area of the house, she can see me from a mile away. 

Last night I went there and purposely only painted the hallway so I wouldn't be in her sight. I just did not feel like dealing with her. 
    Even if she can see you and starts banging on the windows, you can still just ignore her. . . it could be a fun game!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards