Chit Chat

Work Appreciation

Most of us spend more time at work than anywhere else, it's nice to hear that "thank you" every once in a while and to know that you are appreciated. 

I wanted to share this story because I thought it was a neat thing that the company did and I don't feel like you see it enough.

My FI works about 7 months out of the year in a different state, needless to say, it's hard on both of us. I came home yesterday from a week away and had a very thoughtful appreciation letter from his boss with a Starbucks gift card and flowers. It thanked me for all that I do to take care of the house and for supporting my FI while he is away, and that they know he couldn't do what he does without me. 

I felt like this was a very nice way to do a little extra not only for the employee but also for the family, and acknowledge that they are sacrificing also. It makes you happy to know that you are supporting a company that actually thinks about their people as people and not numbers.

Anyone else have a happy Monday pick me up story? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Work Appreciation

• I don't have a happy Monday pick me up story to share but that is INCREDIBLY sweet!  
  • I don't have a happy Monday pick me up story to share but that is INCREDIBLY sweet!  
    That puppy is a great Monday pick me up!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited September 2015
    That's cool.  I once read about a company that gave out $150 gift cards to a restaurant to new employees so they could take their families out to celebrate the new job.  I thought that was pretty cool.
  • That's cool.  I once read about a company that gave out $150 gift cards to a restaurant to new employees so they could take their families out to celebrate the new job.  I thought that was pretty cool.
    That is really cool, I wish more employers would understand what a difference things like this can make in an employee's motivation and enjoyment at their place of work.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • that is really nice!

My company is big into things like that. They regularly do little things to show employee appreciation, they will send flowers or something if a family member dies (even someone's grandparent or the spouse's relatives, etc). We are also into "hugging" our clients and will send different care packages for things such as new babies, new houses, get well soon, someone winning an award, etc.

• That is really sweet.

The club is very good to us.   We are going to NYC and they told DH to expense a dinner at this place DH is dying to go.  It's $240 per head + $198 per head for the wine tasting. Something like 18 course meal.         They are also picking up my flight and expenses to the islands in Nov (DH's is picked up through the event planners).

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • We get movie passes or similar at Christmas and the end of the year.  We're a public school with at least 80 employees, so they can't spend much, but the thought is there. 

Friday I received an e-mail from a former student.  He moved to a new school this year cos he didn't like our school.  That kid will be a lawyer, cos he would argue anything and everything just cos he could.  On the last day last year, he thanks our Principal on his way out the door, for the past year, making the school awesome, etc. and finished with "and Go fuck yourself".  We all and a good laugh about it actually.  

Well, in this e-mail, he thanked me for teaching him for 2 years, said his French class was super easy so far and he was planning on continuing in French cos of me.  And no PS Go fuck yourself, so that was pretty awesome, and completely unexpected.  That's the perk of my job

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards