Wedding Woes

Venue Flaked-Out on Alcohol License

I'm not a big drinker, but I was planning on at least having a glass of chardonnay at my wedding. My venue is a local historical building and the guy who is now in charge of the events there has been a nightmare to work with: he never showed-up for the meeting with the caterer (that he agreed to and arranged because it's a mandatory part of our contract with them) so my MIL forced him to give us the building code so we could get in with the caterer, he keeps calling me "Alexandria" when my name is "Alexandra," he says he contacted our caterer but then (more than once) has flipped the blame onto the caterer, onto me, onto whoever (my MIL called him on it). So now, today, he e-mails the catering staff that we didn't hire (because the woman wouldn't give me a breakdown of costs and she got my venue completely wrong) and asked if she was staffing our event!!! This is after at least a dozen e-mails giving him the name/contact/etc. of our caterer and staff. So on July 27th, I asked him about the alcohol license. He said he would call our caterer that week. 

Did he call? 

NOPE.

Just found out today when he e-mailed the person we never hired. Told me today that there's only a 50/50 chance now of getting the license (Massachusetts is nuts about this stuff) because it's 11 days before the wedding. The selectman have to approve the license and when are they meeting? They started meeting at 6:00pm tonight, which is PROBABLY why the guy thought he'd ask about the license when it wasn't on the agenda. I am so livid right now and mostly because this guy has dropped the ball so. many. times. and I have had to repeat myself in very specific, clear, concise e-mails over and over and over and over again. I just feel so disrespected and like I should just light $1500 on fire. This is my only vendor who has an absolute mess. 

Now I'm concerned that the venue won't be set-up the night before (as we discussed in e-mail #458) so we can get in and do things nor will it be open on-time the afternoon of 9/26 for my caterer and DJ to get set-up! I am really, really concerned about this guy's competence and there doesn't seem to be anyone else on that board that I can see to ask about getting their act together! This is the only Bridezilla moment I've had and I'm slightly ashamed that it's over the liquor license, but really it's the culmination of things. I just feel so disrespected and frustrated right now. 

Going to go look-up mocktail recipes now... maybe all my years of being an RA way back will come in handy here. Geez. 

Re: Venue Flaked-Out on Alcohol License

• I would stop e-mailing this guy. Pick up the phone, express your concerns, and request an in person meeting. Confirm all of the details with him, written down and documented, to get the warm and fuzzy you need.

As for the alcohol license, is this something you can handle without this guy? I would cut him out of it if you can, just for your own peace of mind.

• The one question I'd have is - do you need an alcohol license if you provide your own for the toast?  Something to consider. 

I also agree with the PP - it's time to pick up the phone, and if he's unresponsive, there's someone who hired him, go to them to say "We have a BIG problem here!". 

• Pupatella said:
    I would stop e-mailing this guy. Pick up the phone, express your concerns, and request an in person meeting. Confirm all of the details with him, written down and documented, to get the warm and fuzzy you need.

As for the alcohol license, is this something you can handle without this guy? I would cut him out of it if you can, just for your own peace of mind.
    All of this.  It's good that you emailed him before, so you at least have documentation of all of your communications with him.  (Necessary, but not sufficient.)  At this point, it sounds like the situation needs to be escalated.  Definitely meet in person.  Does he have some sort of manager who can address your concerns?

After the wedding, I would post a clear and concise review of his performance on TK, Yelp, and anywhere else.  But that's not going to help right now, so I'd definitely focus on doing whatever you have to, in order to ensure that he's clear on everything.  It sucks that it's on you when he should be the one handling it, but it is what it is.
  • omg he keeps calling you by the wrong name?!
  • Heffalump said:
    Pupatella said:
    I would stop e-mailing this guy. Pick up the phone, express your concerns, and request an in person meeting. Confirm all of the details with him, written down and documented, to get the warm and fuzzy you need.

All of this.  It's good that you emailed him before, so you at least have documentation of all of your communications with him.  (Necessary, but not sufficient.)  At this point, it sounds like the situation needs to be escalated.  Definitely meet in person.  Does he have some sort of manager who can address your concerns?

After the wedding, I would post a clear and concise review of his performance on TK, Yelp, and anywhere else.  But that's not going to help right now, so I'd definitely focus on doing whatever you have to, in order to ensure that he's clear on everything.  It sucks that it's on you when he should be the one handling it, but it is what it is.

I definitely agree with PPs. Also - is there a way you can contact any of the Selectmen? I am also from MA and completely understand the alcohol license obtaining hassle here. If you can get in touch with one of the Selectmen and explain your predicament I would imagine they would be more than willing to help you out with the license.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards