Chit Chat
Options

Brad's Wedding

novella1186novella1186 member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited September 2015 in Chit Chat
Just a warning, this will probably be a long, long post. The wedding was somehow so much worse than I had thought it would be. 

For anyone who doesn't "know" Brad, he's H's childhood friend who's super rude and was a HUGE pain in the ass to me while we were planning our wedding, plus his now wife is kind of horrible. If you're bored, here's a Brad post. 

So, first there was the cash non-shower, and then the rude wedding invite to set the tone for this nonsense. 

I was close to not going at all but H wanted to be able to spend time with me and I didn't really want to stay in our new house alone yet. It just feels weird there right now. So I went... 

Friday: 
Brad never told us what time the rehearsal dinner was until about 3 hours before it started, and we live 2 and a half hours away. [There was no actual rehearsal; just a dinner]. So on Friday, H and I both had to leave work early with no notice to run home and change and finish packing. As we're walking out the door, H gets another text from Brad letting us know that "business casual attire is required" for the RD. Ugh. So I had to run back in and change because wtf is business casual attire for a non-business event?! 

We get there and all the appetizers are already gone. There were only 3 small plates for 30+ people, and no one ever brought out more apps. H and I were starving by the time we got there, but we had to wait 2 more hours till dinner was served. 

Crazypants was a drunk mess. Yelled across the room for a waiter to bring her more whiskey while she's holding a full glass, and also snapped at a waitress. Her mom was also a drunk mess and cornered Brad demanding to know whether or not he was gonna show up for the wedding. It was super awkward and I kind of just slowly strolled away from that one. 

We then had to sit and watch each WP member open their gift, even though they all got the exact same thing. Brad got all the GMs knives. 

The food was good, though, and it was fully hosted so that part was a lot better than we expected. (Dinner was served family-style even though Crazypants had told us at our wedding that we were trashy for serving family-style).  

Saturday: 
H's parents drove in from out of town and ended up getting there about an hour early since there wasn't as much traffic as they anticipated. The site was closing (only one room was staying open as private event space) so there was nowhere for them to go besides into the reception space. They walk in and the bride's mom yells at them to get out. She said "This is all supposed to be a surprise and you're ruining it!" So his parents had to just stand in the hallway for an hour. That's some good hospitality. 

I rode over to the venue with a couple friends since H took our car to go early for all the WP stuff. The venue was actually at a huge historical site with a bunch of different parking lots and tons of different buildings. The invitation didn't say anything about where to go, there were no signs, and no one directing guests. One of the friends finally asked a lawn maintenance guy and he told us to park at the visitor center and go in there to get to the path to walk out to the barn where the ceremony was. So that's what we did. 

It was a long, long, long walk out there. Again, no signs and no one directing people, and tons of paths going every direction, so we just had to guess where to go. Luckily we saw some other wedding guests wandering around and just followed them. 

But by the time we got into the barn, there were no chairs left, so some of us had to awkwardly stand in the back the entire time. 

The barn had no AC, no fans, no airflow, and it was hot. 

**ATTENTION LURKERS! Here is exactly why you DO NOT ever put your vision ahead of the comfort and well-being of your guests!!!**

Just as the ceremony was about to end, a BM passed out and hit the ground. Apparently she was only 17 so her mom was also there, and the lady got up so fast that she threw her chair into the wall and ran up the aisle literally screaming. 

Luckily there were 2 army medics, I think 2 or 3 nurses, and I was standing next to a doctor. The girl woke right up, sat up and was talking, so she seemed fine but her mother would not stop screaming so multiple people ended up calling 911 and the whole site got flooded with fire trucks, an ambulance, paramedics, etc. In the midst of all this the pastor decided to just go ahead and pronounce Brad and crazypants as husband and wife so they kissed, and crazypants literally stepped over her fallen BM in order to make her grand exit. 

Then we find out the reception is back in the visitors center, so we get to make the long trek back. 

There was a head table, so I did not get to sit next to H. I did not get to sit with his parents, or with any of our friends. I was put at a "Significant Others" table with a bunch of random strangers (the SOs of everyone in the WP). 

Our table wasn't sent to the buffet until over an hour after the WP had already eaten, and they ran out of food. They ran out of damn food! So I got a little bit of mashed potatoes (which I had to scrape from the bottom of the pan) and a roll. 

But even if they hadn't run out, I wouldn't have been able to eat anything since I've been having medical issues and two of the things I can't have are pork and dairy. The only 2 main courses were chicken wrapped in bacon and smothered in cheese, or pork loin stuffed with bacon and cheese. H had called Brad weeks ago to ask about the food because we weren't sure if I'd be able to eat anything, and Brad assured H that there would be "lots of options" on the buffet. 

Apparently I didn't miss much, though, because our friends said the chicken and pork were both cold, hard and dry and even the bacon tasted bad. Oh, wedding food. 

The cash bar had like 7 different kinds of beer but only 2 kinds of wine (muscato and chardonnay) and then a few kinds of liquor which seemed odd but I guess I can't complain since I can't drink right now. Boo! 

The DJ was bizarre. A few people were referring to him as a "strip club announcer" (whatever that means) and even though the space was tiny, the music was so. Damn. Loud. People kept walking outside to take a break from it. Even Brad commented to us that it was way too loud (yet he didn't think to ask the DJ to turn it down a bit). The DJ would randomly stop a song right in the middle and would yell strange things into the microphone, plus the songs he was playing were kind of awful. The dance floor was pretty much empty the entire night, aside from a few little kids. 

Then they do toasts and someone comes out with champagne glasses and makes a big show of pouring champagne for the B&G... but no one else was allowed to have champagne. 

And right when I thought I already had a HUGE list of tacky BS to report back to TK, the DJ said the magic words. Dollar Dance. Yep, that happened. And at that point, all I could do was cheer. 

As soon as dinner was over and people could move around, I got to hang out with H and our friends so that part was fun. These friends live in other states so we hardly get to see them, which is the ONLY reason I stayed at the reception. It ended pretty early, so we all went out to get something to eat because no one had eaten much of the gross food (and I hadn't eaten anything really) so we ended the evening on a high note at least, and then went back to the hotel to try and sleep off the trauma lol. 

During the dollar dance H even leaned over and said "You'll have so much to tell your friends on TK." Yes. Yes I did. 

ETF too many words to not mess one up! 

Re: Brad's Wedding

• Options
    This kinda made my morning. I can't BELIEVE that woman stepped over her BM. Do you know if the BM passed out from the heat, or something else? That is some serious wedding drama.
  • Options
    YES!!! I've been waiting all weekend for you to report back on this mess.

The thing that got me the most was her stepping over her BM (who fainted from the heat!!!) to make her grand exit. Who the fuck does that?!?!?
  • Options
    abcdevonn said:
    This kinda made my morning. I can't BELIEVE that woman stepped over her BM. Do you know if the BM passed out from the heat, or something else? That is some serious wedding drama.
    The wife of the army medic who ran over to the BM was at my table at the reception, and she said it was a combo of the heat and not getting lunch or something? 

Luckily the girl went to the hospital to get checked out and then showed up at the reception later in the night so she was definitely ok. I just felt really really bad for her because when she woke up she kept apologizing to crazypants and started crying :( 
  • Options

The thing that got me the most was her stepping over her BM (who fainted from the heat!!!) to make her grand exit. Who the fuck does that?!?!?
    I know. If one of my BMs had passed out I cannot even fathom stepping over her and walking off to go have fun. I mean the girl was awake at that point but she was still on the ground and crying. Jesus! 
  • Options
    H's parents drove in from out of town and ended up getting there about an hour early since there wasn't as much traffic as they anticipated. The site was closing (only one room was staying open as private event space) so there was nowhere for them to go besides into the reception space. They walk in and the bride's mom yells at them to get out. She said "This is all supposed to be a surprise and you're ruining it!" So his parents had to just stand in the hallway for an hour. That's some good hospitality

This is the only thing I want to disagree with.   Your in-laws where rude for showing up an hour a head of time.   I work functions.  For ceremonies we are to have the room ready 30 minutes ahead of time.   Receptions 15 minutes.    As a worker I would have been annoyed at someone showing up an hour ahead of time. It disrupts my job as we are not ready to receive guests yet.   Not all venues have lobbies and or bars for guests to wait. That is not how their locations are set up.  It's not up to the hosts to anticipate guests arriving an hour early.   Your in-laws should have found a another place to wait.   

Other than that, it was a shit show.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    edited September 2015

I know. If one of my BMs had passed out I cannot even fathom stepping over her and walking off to go have fun. I mean the girl was awake at that point but she was still on the ground and crying. Jesus! 
    I couldn't fathom continuing the ceremony to not see if she was okay. I mean the pastor just kept going? I mean that doesn't sound very pastor-y
    ETA: words
  • Options

I couldn't fathom continuing the ceremony to not see if she was okay. I mean the pastor just kept going?
    No, it definitely came to a stop for a few minutes while the chaos ensued. People were checking on her and running around, so the pastor waited to make sure she woke up. Once she was awake, though, and things started to settle down a little, he was like "Well let's just go ahead and say they're man and wife!" or something like that. 
  • Options
    Oh man, I hope there is video!!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    H's parents drove in from out of town and ended up getting there about an hour early since there wasn't as much traffic as they anticipated. The site was closing (only one room was staying open as private event space) so there was nowhere for them to go besides into the reception space. They walk in and the bride's mom yells at them to get out. She said "This is all supposed to be a surprise and you're ruining it!" So his parents had to just stand in the hallway for an hour. That's some good hospitality

This is the only thing I want to disagree with.   Your in-laws where rude for showing up an hour a head of time.   I work functions.  For ceremonies we are to have the room ready 30 minutes ahead of time.   Receptions 15 minutes.    As a worker I would have been annoyed at someone showing up an hour ahead of time. It disrupts my job as we are not ready to receive guests yet.   Not all venues have lobbies and or bars for guests to wait. That is not how their locations are set up.  It's not up to the hosts to anticipate guests arriving an hour early.   Your in-laws should have found a another place to wait.   

Yeah, I get what you mean. The thing that gets me about this particular situation, though, is that the space was ready and empty. It was just the bride's mom I think? If the staff had told them to leave then fine, but the mother of the bride yelling at them and telling them they were ruining things seemed nasty to me. 

People got to our wedding almost two hours early which wasn't necessarily convenient for us but there were chairs set out already, and we had the caterer do snacks and drinks for exactly that scenario. 

You're definitely not required to host anyone before the event even starts, but yelling at them isn't ok. 
  • Options
    Oh wow, I can't even believe half this stuff! I put the S.O of the WP at the same table, but they knew everyone! Except one, but I put him with his in-laws so it wouldn't be weird.
    The food ... jeez. I'm a hugely picky eater so I wanted to be sure we had lots of options {not vegetarian, but 9/10 I will opt for the vegetarian choice}

So sorry you had to deal with that :(

{p.s this is what I meant by you have great stories!!}
  • Options
    Oh wow, I can't even believe half this stuff! I put the S.O of the WP at the same table, but they knew everyone! Except one, but I put him with his in-laws so it wouldn't be weird.
    The food ... jeez. I'm a hugely picky eater so I wanted to be sure we had lots of options {not vegetarian, but 9/10 I will opt for the vegetarian choice}

I'm not usually a picky eater at all, and even with the health issues I've been having, I'm usually fine with vegetables or whatever. But there just wasn't any food! lol 

And thank you! 
  • Options

I saw this post and said "YES!" in my head!  It did not disappoint either!

So much train wreckery!

I can't believe the bride just walked over her BM like that!  I was going to say that from reading all the Brad posts before this one, they never thought to feed their WP prior to the wedding.  The girl probably got to go to the hospital and get an IV of fluids.  She was probably more full from that IV bag than she would have been from that dinner.  So it was probably for the best that she went!

What are the odds that crazypants bride will hold this all against her BM for the rest of her life?

• Options
    lyndausvi said:

Yeah, I get what you mean. The thing that gets me about this particular situation, though, is that the space was ready and empty. It was just the bride's mom I think? If the staff had told them to leave then fine, but the mother of the bride yelling at them and telling them they were ruining things seemed nasty to me. 

People got to our wedding almost two hours early which wasn't necessarily convenient for us but there were chairs set out already, and we had the caterer do snacks and drinks for exactly that scenario. 

You're definitely not required to host anyone before the event even starts, but yelling at them isn't ok. 
    Yelling was wrong.  She could have been more gracious.     Just because you see tables and some settings on the table =/= ready. 

It was nice you were able to accommodate guests 2 hours early.  If guests showed up that early at the wedding after my sister's wedding they would have hit the last part of my sister's wedding.  Her venue had a 1 hour turn over time.  Sister's wedding ended at 5pm and the next one started at 6pm.  As a guest you should NEVER assume you are welcome more than 15 minutes before an event.  Sure some venues it might work. others not so much.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    What a shit show. 

At least you got to hang out with friends! 

I, too, want to know what "strip club announcer" means....

• Options
    As a studying paramedic person, I can't believe someone would just step over someone they presumably care about after they just passed out! I didn't read the background on Brad and crazypants yet since this was getting too good to veer off onto another (albeit related) post, but holy hell people are insane! She seems like a real peach :( and unfortunately, I foresee her holding this over poor bridesmaid's head for a very long time ... since she ruined her ceremony and all. Although I know how this ends for now, I'm going to go make some popcorn and kick back in the admin office while I enjoy reading the background on these crazy kids. This is probably going to be the highlight of my day, and I thoroughly appreciate it!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

This is exactly why the S/O of the WP should be seated with the WP. It's rude as hell to separate couples, even for a head table. 

I'm glad the whole thing ended with dinner somewhere. I would probably not have been able to make it that long without food. 
  • Options

This is exactly why the S/O of the WP should be seated with the WP. It's rude as hell to separate couples, even for a head table. 

I'm glad the whole thing ended with dinner somewhere. I would probably not have been able to make it that long without food. 
    me either, but I actually got lucky (?) and my stomach was really bad that day so I didn't have much of an appetite. Otherwise, I would have left to go get something to eat. 
  • Options
    I just... don't know... where... to start...

Thank you for making my Monday morning. I'm having a rough day so far, but I immediately felt like a kinder, more organized, more accomplished, and all-around better person after reading that.
  • Options
    This made my morning.  Sorry you had to live through that though!

• Options
    I know this is mean, but i secretly feel the need for you to keep going to Brad's future events to report back. I live for this tackiness. 

Birthdays? Baby cash non-showers? OH WAIT PROBABLY A PUPPY SHOWER (which is a thing now apparently, gag), or housewarming party? 
  • Options
    I know this is mean, but i secretly feel the need for you to keep going to Brad's future events to report back. I live for this tackiness. 

Birthdays? Baby cash non-showers? OH WAIT PROBABLY A PUPPY SHOWER (which is a thing now apparently, gag), or housewarming party? 
    Whaaaat? Puppy showers are a thing?! 

If I had it my way, I'd never see or hear from those two again. But I have a feeling I'm not that lucky. I'll be sure to let you know what happens next ;) 
  • Options

Whaaaat? Puppy showers are a thing?! 

If I had it my way, I'd never see or hear from those two again. But I have a feeling I'm not that lucky. I'll be sure to let you know what happens next ;) 

Somehow i haven't seen all of see but now that I have I'm with Charlottesmom! Brad needs a reality show or something. They sound just awful! And how does one screw up bacon?!
  • Options
    I was waiting for this, and I wasn't disappointed. I'm so sorry you had to endure all of that, though. Holy cow. I'm still not over the fact that she stepped over someone that she supposedly loves. Just...holy cow.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    I don't understand leaving work early to rush off to his rehearsal dinner at all, or changing last minute, and showing up an hour early is rude- drive around or sit in your car. No pork or milk is a weird dietary restriction, so not at all clear why you would rely on Brad, the least considerate person ever, to take care of that instead of eating first or bringing food.

I just don't get why you and your husband are so committed to being doormats for this guy. At all. You don't have to just sit back and let drama happen to you.
  • Options
    I just had FI read this to see his reaction, the best was;

FI: "What exactly is a dollar dance?"
    I explain.
    Him: "Wtf? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. People do that?! What the hell is wrong with people?"

I'm glad he see's the light.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015
    I'm sorry, Novella, but I believe about 9% of this post. 
    Yeah, I don't blame you. If someone had told me ahead of time that all of that shit was gonna happen, I would have laughed. Even knowing how rude they are I wouldn't have thought it would be THAT bad. But yeah, it really was that bad. You don't have to believe it, but unfortunately I lived it and I know it happened.

ETA I was actually waiting for someone to say they don't believe it, because it's a LOT of rude shit.
  • Options
    I don't understand leaving work early to rush off to his rehearsal dinner at all, or changing last minute, and showing up an hour early is rude- drive around or sit in your car. No pork or milk is a weird dietary restriction, so not at all clear why you would rely on Brad, the least considerate person ever, to take care of that instead of eating first or bringing food. I just don't get why you and your husband are so committed to being doormats for this guy. At all. You don't have to just sit back and let drama happen to you.
    No pork and no dairy is an easy thing to get around. I don't have much trouble finding things on menus or things to cook or whatever that don't involve the things I can't eat (it's more than pork or dairy, but I mentioned those two things because those were both in the only two entrees).

And you're right, H has always let Brad walk all over him and still does. I've talked to him about it, but he's naturally a doormat and would rather inconvenience himself to avoid upsetting/disappointing other people. He does it with work too. And I tend to let people walk all over me (remember the posts about my family? Most of my problem was that I never figured out I didn't need to get walked on). It's clearly a problem.
  • Options
    I don't understand leaving work early to rush off to his rehearsal dinner at all, or changing last minute, and showing up an hour early is rude- drive around or sit in your car. No pork or milk is a weird dietary restriction, so not at all clear why you would rely on Brad, the least considerate person ever, to take care of that instead of eating first or bringing food. I just don't get why you and your husband are so committed to being doormats for this guy. At all. You don't have to just sit back and let drama happen to you.
    Not really. Many Jewish people don't eat pork, and a lot of people are allergic to milk. 

Though I agree with everything else.

• Options

I don't understand leaving work early to rush off to his rehearsal dinner at all, or changing last minute, and showing up an hour early is rude- drive around or sit in your car. No pork or milk is a weird dietary restriction, so not at all clear why you would rely on Brad, the least considerate person ever, to take care of that instead of eating first or bringing food.

I just don't get why you and your husband are so committed to being doormats for this guy. At all. You don't have to just sit back and let drama happen to you.

Not really. Many Jewish people don't eat pork, and a lot of people are allergic to milk. 

Though I agree with everything else.

I just mean it's not like just being vegetarian. I would expect a normal host to work with it but if you're going to spend a year complaining about how Brad is the absolute worst it's just plain stupid to me to rely on him for anything that requires any amount of consideration.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards