Budget Weddings Forum
Options

June Afternoon Wedding vs. Winter Evening Wedding

Hello Brides and Future Brides :) 

Again, I have been going back and forth - and back and forth - in my head as to what date, day, time of year to choose for our wedding. My very FIRST choice is the late Spring because I just love the time of year, the blooms, the weather, etc. Also, I really want the opportunity to take pictures outside when the luscious greens come out. So, we went venue shopping and realized that a Saturday evening wedding in June is just crazy. We were offered a great price for a Saturday afternoon - the ceremony would start at 11:30 a.m., reception from 1-5. We would plan an after party to keep celebrating after that. However, I have always pictured an evening wedding reception with a really party vibe. 

The quote we received for a Saturday evening wedding in Winter is exactly the same as the afternoon. So, it comes down to preference. What do I hesitate about winter? I just don't like the season and I feel like you have to take all pictures indoors, the blooms may be different, etc. However, i AM really considering it because it would be nice to have a Saturday evening party! Now, in speaking about June, there COULD be a chance that it rains - then I would be stuck indoors anyway. 

Anyway, I was hoping to get some feedback. Have any of you debated between Spring afternoon and Winter evening wedding? If so, what did you end up deciding? Can you offer any pros and cons? I feel like I'm going crazy!!

Thank you!

Re: June Afternoon Wedding vs. Winter Evening Wedding

• Options
    I'm not sure what part of the country you're in, but I personally would not choose a winter wedding where I live (NY). You'd have to worry about the threat of snow, especially if you have a lot of people traveling. One big snowstorm, and half you guest my not be able to attend. I'd also be worried about things like ice (I always fall on the ice every damn year) and salt (do I want to worry about getting salt on my dress/shoes?). 

I had an afternoon wedding in September. Ceremony started at 12pm. I personally thought it was great. We still had a party atmosphere. People drank, and the dance floor was packed for most of the event. Bonus - we got married at a beautfiful location that is known for their gardens, and I loved that we could all enjoy that during the day. 
  • Options
    I would pick the afternoon wedding.  My sister's was at 10:30am.  reception started at noon (catholic wedding with a 15 min drive to the venue).  It was a BLAST.    It had everything an evening wedding had.  Full plated lunch, bar and tons of dancing.   Yet it was over at 5pm.   

Although my parents had an after-party that some 150+ people attended and ended at.... well some people ended up staying all night. Ha.

While my own wedding was late afternoon into the evening, I've attended more afternoon weddings than evening weddings in my lifetime.   Depending on where you live an evening wedding in the winter can be problematic.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Afternoon weddings can be amazing parties! Went to one where there was tons of dancing drinking, desserts the party ended around 6. The only hard part was that we were from OOT and since there wasn't a full meal we were stuck trying to find somewhere to eat between the reception and the after party.

A small plug for winter weddings; my sister is getting married in December in NY. Not many people have to travel for it (H and I do and another couple or two but the vast majority live in the area). She and her FI love the winter, and they got really great deals on the venue, catering, music, and photography because it's off season. Now if a large part of the guest list had to travel I would be more hesitant, but it works for them.
  • Options
    Afternoon weddings can be amazing parties! Went to one where there was tons of dancing drinking, desserts the party ended around 6. The only hard part was that we were from OOT and since there wasn't a full meal we were stuck trying to find somewhere to eat between the reception and the after party. A small plug for winter weddings; my sister is getting married in December in NY. Not many people have to travel for it (H and I do and another couple or two but the vast majority live in the area). She and her FI love the winter, and they got really great deals on the venue, catering, music, and photography because it's off season. Now if a large part of the guest list had to travel I would be more hesitant, but it works for them.
    This wedding was hosted improperly. You should always be served a full meal during a meal time. At my afternoon wedding, we had a full cocktail hour and a sit down meal. 
  • Options
    I think based on your reasons for loving spring/early summer (the weather and the greenery) that an afternoon wedding is perfect for you.  You can get a lot of great pictures outdoors that showcase the stuff you love, which is much harder to do with an evening wedding (especially in the winter!) unless you get ready way early and take pictures in the middle of the day/early afternoon.  

And, in my experience, with enough drinks and good food, people will party any time of day :)
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    Climbingwife, I absolutely agree. I didn't mean to imply that this was ok. There were only heavy apps and snacks but no full meal for the reception that went from 2-6.

But for OPs concerns about a party vibe, you definitely can have that for an afternoon wedding!
  • Options
    To me June is summer more than spring, perhaps you could do it in April or May and get a better deal on an evening wedding? I don't think you should settle on the season if you don't want to. An afternoon wedding can be just as fun as an evening one. But a lot of times it's not just a venue discount you get off season you also will get discounts from other vendors like video/photo/DJ etc... However unless you have few people traveling or just love the snow (which it sounds like the latter isn't the case) I'd be wary of a winter wedding. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I really wanted to do an October wedding because FI and I love love love the fall, but it too is way too expensive for us to do Saturday night, so we just booked October 22, 2016 for our Saturday afternoon wedding! I worry about the fact that it's over early and we're brainstorming ways to have an after-party of some kind, but to me the season was important enough to us to do it. 

Good luck and happy planning!
  • Options
    snowywintersnowywinter member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    As someone who is having a winter evening wedding, I don't think there's anything wrong with them so long as your VIPs are okay with driving in possible bad weather. If your guests are from NJ, I doubt they'll be too scared to take on the roads, assuming there is no blizzard.

As for photos, they don't have to be restricted to indoors in the winter. You can get amazing outdoor photos if you're okay with the cold.

That said, have you thought of trying cold-weather venues for a spring weather? For example, I bet a ski resort would have a good deal for a spring or summer wedding because it's their off-season.
  • Options
    As someone who is having a winter evening wedding, I don't think there's anything wrong with them so long as your VIPs are okay with driving in possible bad weather. If your guests are from NJ, I doubt they'll be too scared to take on the roads, assuming there is no blizzard.

As for photos, they don't have to be restricted to indoors in the winter. You can get amazing outdoor photos if you're okay with the cold.

That said, have you thought of trying cold-weather venues for a spring weather? For example, I bet a ski resort would have a good deal for a spring or summer wedding because it's their off-season.
    you would think, but where I live in CO, summer is as busy or even more busy then summer.   At the private club we do not allow any weddings between mid-June and labor day because we are too busy with our members.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

Jesus with the bad advice. Just stop already. Just because people are from NJ doesn't mean they're all ok with traveling in a snow storm as long as it's "not a blizzard".

Also, if YOU want to take pictures outside in the winter, go for it. Please don't force your wedding party or family members to participle. I had to do that once for a winter wedding and it was miserable.
  • Options

Jesus with the bad advice. Just stop already. Just because people are from NJ doesn't mean they're all ok with traveling in a snow storm as long as it's "not a blizzard". Also, if YOU want to take pictures outside in the winter, go for it. Please don't force your wedding party or family members to participle. I had to do that once for a winter wedding and it was miserable.
    Just because my advice doesn't work for YOU doesn't mean it's bad advice. The world doesn't revolve around your opinions, hate to break it to you. Thousands of people have winter weddings every single year and somehow, someway their loved ones are okay with driving on the roads to get to the venue.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    lyndausvi said:

you would think, but where I live in CO, summer is as busy or even more busy then summer.   At the private club we do not allow any weddings between mid-June and labor day because we are too busy with our members.   
    Hm, I wonder if it's different in the spring. I live in New England and a friend of mine got married last April in the White Mountains of New Hampshire because it was the cheapest time of year (according to her. I didn't price the venues myself). I can see it being busy in the summer, but I'm wondering if there's a lull after ski season before summer?
  • Options

Jesus with the bad advice. Just stop already. Just because people are from NJ doesn't mean they're all ok with traveling in a snow storm as long as it's "not a blizzard".

Also, if YOU want to take pictures outside in the winter, go for it. Please don't force your wedding party or family members to participle. I had to do that once for a winter wedding and it was miserable.

Just because my advice doesn't work for YOU doesn't mean it's bad advice. The world doesn't revolve around your opinions, hate to break it to you. Thousands of people have winter weddings every single year and somehow, someway their loved ones are okay with driving on the roads to get to the venue.

Bad advice - saying that because people live in a certain state, they are ok driving in the snow.
    Bad advice - telling a poster to take pictures outside in the winter without mentioning that you shouldn't subject your loved ones to frigid temps.

You're all over this site giving awful advice.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Jesus with the bad advice. Just stop already. Just because people are from NJ doesn't mean they're all ok with traveling in a snow storm as long as it's "not a blizzard". Also, if YOU want to take pictures outside in the winter, go for it. Please don't force your wedding party or family members to participle. I had to do that once for a winter wedding and it was miserable.
    Bad advice - saying that because people live in a certain state, they are ok driving in the snow. Bad advice - telling a poster to take pictures outside in the winter without mentioning that you shouldn't subject your loved ones to frigid temps. You're all over this site giving awful advice.
    And you're all over this site bitching about everything under the sun. Look, just because this advice doesn't work for YOU does not mean it's bad advice. Saying that I doubt most native NJ folks would be "scared" to drive in snow is NOT bad advice. Saying that a poster can get great outdoor photos even in the winter is NOT bad advice. I don't have to include every freaking disclaimer in my posts to satisfy you and your ridiculous standards for good advice. Again, thousands of people have winter weddings every single year, including many, many, many posters on this very site. Somehow, they all made it happen. If you're so opposed to winter weddings, then don't go to one. Problem solved.
  • Options
    Please point me to all the posts where all I'm doing is bitching. I'll wait.

I've been a bridesmaid in at least 3 winter weddings. I know what I'm talking about, which is more than I can say for you.

I sincerely hope no one takes the tacky advice you're constantly throwing out there. You belong on WeddingWire.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Please point me to all the posts where all I'm doing is bitching. I'll wait. I've been a bridesmaid in at least 3 winter weddings. I know what I'm talking about, which is more than I can say for you. I sincerely hope no one takes the tacky advice you're constantly throwing out there. You belong on WeddingWire.
    Were you not the one complaining about winter wedding favors and the poster who wanted to give ornaments? There are others, but that's the one that jumped immediately to mind because you were so incredibly adamant that she doesn't know her own guests. And FYI, I've been a bridesmaid in 1 winter wedding, a MOH in another winter wedding, and attended 3 other winter weddings as a guest. So you were saying?

Again, just because YOU don't like my advice doesn't make it tacky. Time to realize that the world does not revolve around you and your silly opinions.
  • Options
    JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015
    I'm in NJ and had a winter wedding.  Not by choice, but because I had to reschedule our early November date because of Hurricane Sandy.  I was incredibly nervous that we'd get snow or ice and nobody would show.  Thankfully we didn't (and it was mid 40s and we took pictures outside too!), but it definitely was NOT my first choice.  And if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't pick December (or any winter month) again.

OP - Sounds like an afternoon wedding in June would work perfect for you!  

ETA - And @snowywinter - Sorrynotsorry, but there's no way I'm risking my life or DH's life driving to a wedding when the roads are bad.  Not gonna happen.   
  • Options

Please point me to all the posts where all I'm doing is bitching. I'll wait.

I've been a bridesmaid in at least 3 winter weddings. I know what I'm talking about, which is more than I can say for you.

I sincerely hope no one takes the tacky advice you're constantly throwing out there. You belong on WeddingWire.

Were you not the one complaining about winter wedding favors and the poster who wanted to give ornaments? There are others, but that's the one that jumped immediately to mind because you were so incredibly adamant that she doesn't know her own guests. And FYI, I've been a bridesmaid in 1 winter wedding, a MOH in another winter wedding, and attended 3 other winter weddings as a guest. So you were saying?

Again, just because YOU don't like my advice doesn't make it tacky. Time to realize that the world does not revolve around you and your silly opinions.

Omg you found one other post where I suggested the poster not give a certain type of favor that only one group of people would use. Good work!
    You've been here like a month. Slow your roll.
  • Options
    Please point me to all the posts where all I'm doing is bitching. I'll wait. I've been a bridesmaid in at least 3 winter weddings. I know what I'm talking about, which is more than I can say for you. I sincerely hope no one takes the tacky advice you're constantly throwing out there. You belong on WeddingWire.

Omg you found one other post where I suggested the poster not give a certain type of favor that only one group of people would use. Good work! You've been here like a month. Slow your roll.
    Oh there are others. As I said, that was the one that popped immediately to mind because it was the most obnoxious. And FYI, unless there's a policy I'm not aware of, your opinions aren't more respected just because you've been here longer. I'll post what I want, when I want and my advice doesn't suck just because YOU say it does. So build a bridge and get over it.
  • Options
    JoanE2012 said:
    I'm in NJ and had a winter wedding.  Not by choice, but because I had to reschedule our early November date because of Hurricane Sandy.  I was incredibly nervous that we'd get snow or ice and nobody would show.  Thankfully we didn't (and it was mid 40s and we took pictures outside too!), but it definitely was NOT my first choice.  And if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't pick December (or any winter month) again.

ETA - And @snowywinter - Sorrynotsorry, but there's no way I'm risking my life or DH's life driving to a wedding when the roads are bad.  Not gonna happen.   
    Then you don't go to the wedding. Simple as that. Obviously, if the roads are bad, some won't go. But as a lifelong northerner, a few snowflakes doesn't mean the roads are bad.
  • Options
    I've been a northerner for all of my 35 years. That doesn't mean I'm going to travel in a snowstorm.

Your advice sucks because you have proved in earlier posts that you don't know what it means to be a good host and you don't seem to understand etiquette.
  • Options
    JediElizabethJediElizabeth member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015
    JoanE2012 said:

Agreed, and agreed with @climbingwife. As an NJ native who's spent some time living up in the mountains of northeast PA, I still hate driving in any kind of weather. Before I was working in NYC and using public transit, I would arrange to work from home if there was even a hint of snow. There's NO way I'm driving to a wedding if there's any chance of getting caught in bad weather.

This is doubly true because the OP is considering an evening wedding in the winter, as opposed to a daytime one in summer. Temperatures go down a lot at night, and even a nicer winter day can have scary nighttime driving conditions. I might go if we were staying overnight at the hotel, but I'd have to be pretty close to someone for me to spend money on a hotel that close by just because I was afraid of nighttime driving conditions.

(edited for clarity)
  • Options
    JoanE2012 said:

Then you don't go to the wedding. Simple as that. Obviously, if the roads are bad, some won't go. But as a lifelong northerner, a few snowflakes doesn't mean the roads are bad.
    Exactly.  But for you to say that people from NJ wouldn't be afraid of bad road conditions is silly. No wedding is not that important to me that I would risk my car at best and my life at worst.  And I'm pretty sure that many would feel similar.  
  • Options
    I've been a northerner for all of my 35 years. That doesn't mean I'm going to travel in a snowstorm. Your advice sucks because you have proved in earlier posts that you don't know what it means to be a good host and you don't seem to understand etiquette.
    Your point of view sucks because you are extremely one-dimensional and the post above proves that you're not arguing on the topic discussed but on personal biases based on your perceived "bad host" standards. So again, get over it. There's nothing wrong with my advice, even if you, personally, don't like it.
  • Options
    JoanE2012 said:
    JoanE2012 said:

Exactly.  But for you to say that people from NJ wouldn't be afraid of bad road conditions is silly. No wedding is not that important to me that I would risk my car at best and my life at worst.  And I'm pretty sure that many would feel similar.  
    I really don't understand how we went from a snow showers (that happens quite often in the winter) to life-risking driving? I'm not talking about a bad snow storm or blizzard. I'm talking about a few snowflakes. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but where I'm from, life doesn't come to a standstill when it snows. We still go to the grocery store, we still go to the mall, we still go the movies. And yes, I would still go to a wedding, barring a bad snow/ice storm or blizzard.
  • Options
    Snowywinter - scroll up. I gave the OP advice that is spot on. Get a clue.
  • Options
    JoanE2012 said:
    JoanE2012 said:

I really don't understand how we went from a snow showers (that happens quite often in the winter) to life-risking driving? I'm not talking about a bad snow storm or blizzard. I'm talking about a few snowflakes. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but where I'm from, life doesn't come to a standstill when it snows. We still go to the grocery store, we still go to the mall, we still go the movies. And yes, I would still go to a wedding, barring a bad snow/ice storm or blizzard.
    Well, you're the one who said "I don't think there's anything wrong with them so long as your VIPs are okay with driving in possible bad weather. If your guests are from NJ, I doubt they'll be too scared to take on the roads, assuming there is no blizzard."

4...6....8...12 inches of snow can happen and cause treacherous roads, especially if the plows can't keep up or haven't gotten to secondary or tertiary roads.  And that can be life risking....I'm glad that you apparently haven't seen that first hand.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards