Nevada-Las Vegas

Venues & Self Catering Questions

Hi and hello - one to-be groom of two here who apparently thought it would all just be so easy...

The Issue: We're not wanting anything fancy and expensive, so DIY style weddings are kind of the lane I want to be in. However, the first thing on my list, which is venue finding, is proving difficult. 

As I said, the DIY appeals to me not only because of the budget, but also because I'm a major control freak. I literally want to do everything myself (or delegated). Food, drink, music, photos, invites, decor, scheduling. I have multiple plans of action already, and know I'll be able to pull it off, if only I had a venue...

Venues: I had no clue that small halls and event spaces were so harsh with self catering! It was just something I'd never thought about before searching lately. I could understand some liquor laws in place, but why do all the places I've looked at deny simply renting out the space for you to bring in your own stuff? 

What I'd like to find is a space where I'm allowed to do just that; bring in my own food on my own platters/dishes and set it up my own decor just how I like. But I keep hitting this "in house catering" wall. 

Please, any suggestions or ideas of where to look are welcome. Style of the venue isn't very important as my theme/colors are flexible, but it will need to be indoors OR indoors/outdoors (summer event) and fit about 60-80. Other info that might be helpful is it'll be a cocktail reception only, as the ceremony will be in Utah, not a formal sit down dinner. 

Thanks again! I'm hoping in the whole of Vegas there's a few options out there hiding from me!

Re: Venues & Self Catering Questions

• What about renting a vacation house? A number of folks on here have done it, search "Vegas VRBO" on here and you should find at least a few specific properties (assuming TheKnot's search function cooperates).

You could also go in-suite at one of the resorts where it's easier to smuggle -- Mandalay Bay and the Delano are pretty "don't ask, don't tell" about outside vendors.
  • I don't think you're going to find very many event spaces at all that allow outside catering in and around the strip; the rental fee for the property is typically just a small line item while the business anticipates making their actual profit off the catering.

Do you have a budget you'd like to stay within?  For 60-80 you'd actually need a fairly sizable space.  I was initially going to say an in-suite sounds like a good idea for you given there are large and diverse options, but none fit that many other than the Stardust Suite at the Orleans and it requires their catering as the room itself actually has no charge.  I think I've heard the minimum is $4k, so if you could get them to do all booze and apps for $4k, it might not be that bad of an option.

Another idea would be Hussong's Cantina in the Mandalay Mall.  They can accommodate that number of guests and are reasonable in price, and of course would have bartending staff waiting on all of your guests.  We had our rehearsal dinner there, it was about $3500 for 45 ppl, with meal, apps, desert and two hours of premium open bar.  The food part was $25/pp.  You may be able to get them to work out some kind of booze-only option for you.  Other restaurants up and down the strip would probably do the same thing; all they really care about is meeting their minimums and it's a lot more profitable (far less wait staff, kitchen staff, etc) to just be pouring drinks for a few hours, so you might be able to swing a good deal.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• edited September 2015
    Thanks! This is probably what I'll start researching next (VRBO) and maybe peruse some more dining places. 
  • You're probably going to be better off going the route of a vacation home, or going the route of don't-ask-don't-tell at one of the suites on the strip. Or, you could go non-Vegas while in Vegas, and try and find a small reception hall or private banquet room, such as like at the Westin.
  • It's a little out of the way (Read: Henderson), however the Henderson Convention Center allows outside catering and bar service.  It's super basic, includes tables, chairs, linens, and a portable bar for I believe up to 120 people.  They also provide a kitchen area with warmers and a fridge/freezer.  The cost is around $900 and you get the space for up to 12 hours.  

http://cityofhenderson.com/henderson-happenings/henderson-convention-center/henderson-convention-center-weddings

• We are having our wedding here: http://www.togetherforeverreceptions.com/

They've been very wonderful to work with. There is an option to just rent the space and bring your own food. I'm not sure that they would allow you to bring your own alcohol though. We are using their in-house catering and open bar, but we are also bringing a couple of other food items.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards