Not Engaged Yet

Terrific Tuesday!

13»

Re: Terrific Tuesday!

• @speakeasy14 - You said you'd have more pride in it, intimating that if someone had their college paid for, they shouldn't be proud of it (or shouldn't be as proud of it as someone else who had to pay more $$$ for it). I think that logic is flawed. I paid for 50% of my undergrad degree and 100% of my grad degree, so clearly I'm not who you were poking with that comment, but I think it's wrong to think that someone having college paid for means someone didn't work hard for what they earned. Should the person that went to a community college feel less pride in their degree because they paid less for it than you paid for yours?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• @labro - Oh my GOODNESS!  Callie is a doll.  So precious and such a gift!  
  • @cu97tiger The tree with the leaves was my original plan. I love those! FI wasn't feeling the tree though, but I wanted to find something similar. I don't remember how I found that shop, but I do remember it was after a long round of random Etsy searching. We both thought it was a good compromise, and I think it will look great hanging in our home for many years to come. The colors are kind of our wedding colors. From what I know, our colors are purple and ivory. I wanted more color than that in our guestbook, so I told them to do purple + fall colors.

@jenjen047 lol Good question. I briefly opened the package to make sure it looked good but didn't get a chance to really measure it. I can measure tonight and let you know. I ordered it September 5, and it was delivered to the leasing office yesterday, so it didn't take anywhere near as long as Etsy estimated.

@LaBro SHE IS PRECIOUS AND PERFECT AND AMAZING! She is the best velociraptor ever.

• @KeptInStitches - I will gladly take any and all extra blanket donations ;)  

• @swazzle, we might be able to work something out for food! ;)
  • @labro aaaaaaaw BEBE!!!! <3

• @keptinstitches - I'm leaving in early November!

As to the school debate, I paid for college and law school "on my own".  I put that in quotes because it was a combination of working in school, my savings, scholarships I earned and student loans.  I do think it limited me and added to my stress in many ways but only because of my personality.  For example, I "had" to work while others hung out, I "had" to earn great grades or lose the scholarships, I "had" to take summer school classes to graduate in three years vs four to cut costs, I "had" to get into a top 10% school with top 10% grades so I could get into the top 10% of law firms to pay off the debt from the top 10% school (great logic, huh?).  These are all "had" to do events because of my drive and who I am.  I know plenty who had to pay for school "on their own" like me and got crap grades and have that debt for life.  They are ok with that (or, if not, they know there isn't much they can do about it).  They are all life choices.  All of that said, I think having a parent pay for your school is really nice and maybe opens up a few more doors so you can make different life choices.  And choices are almost always nice.
  • wink0erinwink0erin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2015

@speakeasy14 @cu97tiger For most of undergrad I had scholarships and parental help with tuition, but I paid for my books, supplies, and living expenses. By the time I was getting my second undergrad degree I was working full-time, but still had some help with tuition (everything else was on me). My master's degree was mostly covered by my employer, and I covered the rest. Regardless of how things were paid for, I busted my ass. But that's also because I was raised to make education a priority, and work as well. If I had paid for it all myself the only difference would be that I would have more debt, something my parents did not want me to deal with. Regardless, I've always paid my own living expenses, entertainment expenses, and health expenses. I'm mega independent so I never was able to ask for money anyway, it just felt weird. I like doing things for myself.

But I get what speakeasy is saying, I know several friends who had their tuition and living expenses 100% paid by their parents, they partied instead, and ultimately dropped out. But from what I know, they didn't grow up with education as a priority either. The same thing happened for some who took out loans, dropped out, and are now left struggling to pay back said loans since they never finished school.

Different topic really, but college is way too expensive. It's insaaaaaane. I feel bad for students beginning college now.

• @eilis1228 - I was just curious because I am picturing each orb to be the size of a thumbprint but not sure if the scale is just totally off.

Re: school debate - I think @cu97tiger makes an excellent point. How much you paid out of pocket for your education has nothing to do with how proud you should be of your education. Even comparing apples to apples : 2 students who paid for 100% of their education on their own. One went to state school, the other to Harvard. Should one be more proud than the other?
  • @KeptInStitches I looooveeee the Doctor Who scarf! I keep meaning to crochet one but I've been a bit craft lazy recently.

• @wink0erin, thanks! This is my third - I did one for a friend of mine and the blue variant several years ago. This is my first that's "reasonable" in size.
  • Hi girls. I am slacking again. Been really busy once again! I am here everyday just don't always have a chance to sit down and write at length...

I am going to attempt to tag and respond better...

@Southernpeach89 Congrats on your baby girl! I am fairly new so I don't know details and am not a facebook friend, but I am sure she is adorable and you are enjoying mommyhood and your new bundle! Hope you heal up and feel good fast!

@labro Congrats on becoming an Aunt! I love being an aunt! My nieces and nephews are my world. I agree its a love you cant describe and I didn't know existed before I became an Aunt! I spoil mine every chance I get and holidays we go big! But really its fun and amazing and I joke with my sister that even it gets rough I get to return them to her haha!

@Swazzle I want that pizza in my belly! Sounds delish!

@Cocobellef Poor baby pup! Hope Baxter feels better very soon! My Buster and Ginger are my babies and I always worry about them! I know its tough seeing them sick or hurt so I hope hes better soon for your sake too. He needs snuggles and treats!!!

As for me, I am a little behind so here goes!

Tuesday we went to Disneyland and used our passes. We are making them well worth it!

Wednesday I worked, had an interview and did laundry and relaxed.

Thursday I had a meeting at work. We have them twice a month. Then Cory and I did errands, picked up dinner and snuggled and watched some shows we recorded.

Friday I hung out with my cute future inlaws and our house full of dogs haha we have Buster and Corys parents have 2 dogs plus his brother and his gf have a dog. In total 2 doxies and 2 Chihuahuas.

This weekend was interesting. I worked on Saturday with my client and relaxed at home after. But Sunday my mom brought my grandma and aunt who are visiting from Hawaii to see me up where I moved with Cory for the first time. On her way here she was about to miss the exit so she sped up to change lanes and got a speeding ticket. We then visited a museum here in town and on the way back she got a flat tire and it turned out she had 3 nails in 2 tires somehow so we spent half the day at Pepboys getting her new tires! Luckily Cory was with us as we needed a man to help haha...

Monday I worked with another client. I came home and made Rice Krispie Treats because well I wanted them. (And dangit I ate the whole tray to myself whoops)...I meal prepped stuffed shells with ground turkey, onions, garlic, and yellow bell pepper with tomato sauce and cheese on top and served with mixed steamed vegetables (carrots, broccoli, waterchestnuts and green beans). It was delicious and I meal prep because we both work during lunch and dinner meals so we have fresh healthier food then drive thru some days....I love reading everyones yummy parts of their posts with dinner menus! Pinterest makes me crazy with recipes I wanna try, but everyones here sound good too! I love cooking and baking so dieting doesn't work well for me but we are trying to lose and maintain healthy weight...

Today I had an interview and finally after months of job hunting and interviewing got hired basically on the spot! They called a few minutes after and I start tomorrow. I feel bad my other job didn't get much notice, but I couldn't pass it up! I will be nannying for a special needs boy about 35hours a week. The schedule is great and the pay is good too! I start at $15 an hour for this week training and then we will work out a weekly rate. I am happy though, my other job the hours were awful and all over the place and now I will know my schedule. I have to pick Cory up from work soon.

I don't think I shared a pic of me or  one of Cory and I so I will attach some here. Talk soon! I will try to be on more!!!

-Alana

• wink0erin said:

@speakeasy14 @cu97tiger For most of undergrad I had scholarships and parental help with tuition, but I paid for my books, supplies, and living expenses. By the time I was getting my second undergrad degree I was working full-time, but still had some help with tuition (everything else was on me). My master's degree was mostly covered by my employer, and I covered the rest. Regardless of how things were paid for, I busted my ass. But that's also because I was raised to make education a priority, and work as well. If I had paid for it all myself the only difference would be that I would have more debt, something my parents did not want me to deal with. Regardless, I've always paid my own living expenses, entertainment expenses, and health expenses. I'm mega independent so I never was able to ask for money anyway, it just felt weird. I like doing things for myself.

But I get what speakeasy is saying, I know several friends who had their tuition and living expenses 100% paid by their parents, they partied instead, and ultimately dropped out. But from what I know, they didn't grow up with education as a priority either. The same thing happened for some who took out loans, dropped out, and are now left struggling to pay back said loans since they never finished school.

Different topic really, but college is way too expensive. It's insaaaaaane. I feel bad for students beginning college now.

I get what you're saying, but there are plenty of people who come from low-income failes that used scholarships and grants to get through school, and it didn't mean they were lazy, didn't work hard, or shouldn't be proud of their degree. I think everyone gets the point of what I'm trying to say, so I'll stop beating this dead horse now ;)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• @cu97tiger Agreed! I don't think where the money comes from matters, it's all in the mindset/priorities of the person.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards