Wedding Invitations & Paper

Too late for Save The Dates?

I'm 5 months away from the wedding. Is it too late to send save the dates? I haven't booked the community center  yet and  I still have to order them, if I do send them.  I can book and order the first week of Oct. if that helps.

Re: Too late for Save The Dates?

• Hmm... so your invites would go out 3 months after your save the dates. I don't know, I think that's fine. At this point it's up to you if you want to spend the money. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • IMO, I would skip them.  STDs aren't necessary.  Once you do book your venue I would just call up any VIPs and tell them the date.

• I think it's too late and not worth it.
  • skip them.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Do you have a lot of guests who would need to make travel arrangments? If you're blocking rooms for guests, it might be helpful for them to have that information on an STD. Otherwise I'd skip STDs and contact your VIPs as soon as you book the community center to give them the pertinent information. At this point, it's really up to you. What is easier?

• DarthV8rDarthV8r member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    @mairepoppy I have one family invited from out of state ( very likely they will not show up because they are coming for Christmas but I wanted to invite them anyway) and a couple coming from 2 hours away.It's on a Saturday and  I just wanted to make sure all my friends and family who work on the weekends can request it off.  I will book rooms for my  out of town VIPS because I have hotel credit that I need to use.

I just found out that STAPLES  has same day print "save the dates".  So  I  can send them out by Monday.  If I decide to send them out.  Its $25.00 for 25 save the dates ( thats more than I need).  I have stamps and can hand deliver most of them. 
  • I think it's fine to send STDs five months out.  Since you've recently changed your wedding date, you  can be sure everyone is officially notified with the STDs. 

• I think it's fine to send STDs five months out.  Since you've recently changed your wedding date, you  can be sure everyone is officially notified with the STDs. 

I'm 5 months away from the wedding. Is it too late to send save the dates? I haven't booked the community center  yet and  I still have to order them, if I do send them.  I can book and order the first week of Oct. if that helps.

@mairepoppy   It appears she hasn't even booked the venue yet.   I would really suggest not sending out STD until you do that.

I think money would be better spent on other things.  You can always call or email your VIPs.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • edited September 2015
    On no, I wouldn't send out the STDs until the venue is booked. I'm thinking that once that's done, it might be easier and faster to mail  (or email) the STDs than it would be to get in touch with everyone via phone. 

But STDs are never required. My daughter planned her wedding in less than 6 months and didn't bother with STDs. She sent word via the family grapevines, which were extremely effective.

(Thanks, Lynda.)

• OK instead of save the dates I can put that money towards tablecloths. I might just print out 2 from my computer and send them to the out of towners (after I book). I can make phone calls and tell my guests to save the date.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards