Chit Chat

NWR: Dog Sitter Gift

Happy Friday!

I am getting my Christmas list ready and I want to add presents for my pups sitter and day care lady.

I usually take my pup to day care 1-2 days a week. The facility I take her to is a day care/groomer. One woman is in charge and usually has 2 other woman that help out.

The other is a sitter we leave our pup with whenever we go out of town. I found her through a Facebook virtual garage sale posting. We have used her twice now and really like her. She's a stay at home mom and only watches one dog at a time (plus her own) We prefer it over boarding.

What are appropriate gifts? I was thinking restaurant gift cards, but I honestly do not know what they like. I used to just give my hair person a ridiculous tip around the holidays, but I'm at a loss right now.... 

Re: NWR: Dog Sitter Gift

• labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2015
    Usually I just give extra large cash tips around the holiday season to people I see regularly for hair, waxing, stuff like that. I'd do the same for your daycare and petsitters. A restaurant gift card doesn't seem like a very good idea since you have no idea what they like.

ETA: I'm thinking if you want to make it a little more personalized you could give the cash with a card "signed" from you and the dog and little note from your pup. I dunno....I always do weird cutesy things like that with my dog.

• Prepaid Visa gift cards are always a good option. That way, they can go shopping or go out to eat or treat themselves to something they wouldn't normally spend money on.

• At the holidays I tip the pet sitter a big wad of cash. During the year, I'll bring pastries or something like that in, but around they holidays no one wants more sugar, they do want more cash. So I vote cash.
  • I agree with the cutesy note from your dogs (and maybe a picture of them) to go with the cash. I would find that meaningful and sweet.
  • Prepaid Visa gift cards are always a good option. That way, they can go shopping or go out to eat or treat themselves to something they wouldn't normally spend money on.
    I'm sorry, but prepaid Visa/Mastercard gift cards are a pain in the ass.  Some places have trouble accepting them, and sometimes you even need exact balances to use it.  If you're going to give a prepaid Visa type card, just give cash.  

• levioosa said:

Prepaid Visa gift cards are always a good option. That way, they can go shopping or go out to eat or treat themselves to something they wouldn't normally spend money on.

I'm sorry, but prepaid Visa/Mastercard gift cards are a pain in the ass.  Some places have trouble accepting them, and sometimes you even need exact balances to use it.  If you're going to give a prepaid Visa type card, just give cash.  

True, I brought 2 of these from our wedding on vacation to pay for our meals and found out restaurants won't accept them! Something about the tipping line screwing up the balance or such. I was so annoyed! We had like $300 on them.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• luckya23 said:
    Prepaid Visa gift cards are always a good option. That way, they can go shopping or go out to eat or treat themselves to something they wouldn't normally spend money on.
    True, I brought 2 of these from our wedding on vacation to pay for our meals and found out restaurants won't accept them! Something about the tipping line screwing up the balance or such. I was so annoyed! We had like $300 on them.
    Depending on the restaurant, you need to have them charge the card for less than the amount to account for the tip. So if you have a 50 dollar gift card, and a restaurant bill for 50, it won't go through because the credit card companies assume you'll tip and it makes sure you have a little extra on the card to cover that. So if you have a restaurant bill for 50, I would tell the server to only charge the prepaid card 40, and pay the remainder with cash/ another card. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards