Registry and Gift Forum

Receiving Gifts And Etiquette

Our wedding is 11/21. We just sent our invites about a week ago. Excitingly, we are already receiving RSVPs! We had an insert that included our wedding website and our reception info. My FI's brother was the first to RSVP (online; we did both paper and online RSVPs) which he did on Monday. Today, we received a box in the mail. Inside was a wedding gift from our registry with two AMAZING gifts in it from his brother. We will be writing a thank you card as soon as he gets home tonight. My question is if we can use the gifts now or wait till after the wedding? I'm just so excited to use the gifts but I can wait if necessary. 

We are not having a shower and only registered to appease our families because they kept asking where we were registered and couldn't wait to shop for the wedding, ect.
11/21/2012 - Chapter 1: The Text
10/23/2014 - Chapter 2: The Proposal
11/21/2015 - Chapter 3: The Wedding

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Receiving Gifts And Etiquette

• The only reason people caution against it is that if for any reason you don't get married the "brand new" gift must be returned. So just know that if it is something that you could not replace as new, wait. If is off of your registry and you could afford to purchase it yourself (and you expect it to still be available at the end of November), I say go ahead.
  • NicRen17 said:
    Our wedding is 11/21. We just sent our invites about a week ago. Excitingly, we are already receiving RSVPs! We had an insert that included our wedding website and our reception info. My FI's brother was the first to RSVP (online; we did both paper and online RSVPs) which he did on Monday. Today, we received a box in the mail. Inside was a wedding gift from our registry with two AMAZING gifts in it from his brother. We will be writing a thank you card as soon as he gets home tonight. My question is if we can use the gifts now or wait till after the wedding? I'm just so excited to use the gifts but I can wait if necessary. 

We are not having a shower and only registered to appease our families because they kept asking where we were registered and couldn't wait to shop for the wedding, ect.
    PP is right.  You can use it if you can afford to replace it.  But if I were you, I'd wait.  How much fun will it be to get back from your wedding or honeymoon and finally get to use all those things that you've had piled up in your living room since mid October???  Like an early Christmas!!!
  • The only reason people caution against it is that if for any reason you don't get married the "brand new" gift must be returned. So just know that if it is something that you could not replace as new, wait. If is off of your registry and you could afford to purchase it yourself (and you expect it to still be available at the end of November), I say go ahead.
    This is what I did.  Basically, if I could afford to replace it to be returned on my own, then I would use it (so like the little kitchen gadgets that came in handy to make food for a baby shower 2 weeks before the wedding, I dug into those... but not so much the dishes or the smoker).
    Married 9.12.15
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards