Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

When does the photographer eat?

Hi- 

We're having a small ceremony and reception (15 people including us). The reception is just a sit down dinner at a local restaurant, no decorations or anything fancy. just whatever the restaurant already looks like/ is serving for brunch.  

However, we are planning to hire photographers for pictures and I'm wondering when the photographer is supposed to eat. Our guests are going to be able to order whatever they'd like from the menu I'm including the photographer in this and  I'm not sure if I should ask what they'd like to eat ahead of time and then have the restaurant have it ready earlier than other folks food. Or if they should order with us and eat at the same time or do they eat after we're eating? I'd like pictures of the guests mingling with us before the food arrives and maybe  a few candids during dinner itself and then some shots of us leaving the restaurant (maybe I should scrap this and just do the leaving the church part for pics).

I'm just not sure how the timing works out. I want to make sure the photographer has time to eat I just don't know how to arrange things so that goes smoothly. 

Re: When does the photographer eat?

• How long is your reception? It sounds like you're having a morning ceremony and late morning/early afternoon meal, but are you going to have any type of party continue after that? 

I ask because if you're doing the ceremony and reception at like 10am and feel like you'll be done by 1 pm, you could still give your photographer a meal, but it wouldn't be any hardship for him or her to wait until after lunch. On the other hand, if you're starting at the same time and have booked a private toom until 3 or 4pm, you'd definitely want to schedule time for the photographer to eat.
  • Ask your photog how they would like to handle the situation. You should definitely offer to feed them, and I'm they will want to order ahead so they can get their food quickly so they can get back to work.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• How long is your reception? It sounds like you're having a morning ceremony and late morning/early afternoon meal, but are you going to have any type of party continue after that? 

I ask because if you're doing the ceremony and reception at like 10am and feel like you'll be done by 1 pm, you could still give your photographer a meal, but it wouldn't be any hardship for him or her to wait until after lunch. On the other hand, if you're starting at the same time and have booked a private toom until 3 or 4pm, you'd definitely want to schedule time for the photographer to eat.

The reception is however long it takes people to eat and socialize. We haven't  offically booked anything yet. I've checked the times and ability to do what I'm planning at these two places though. 

I'm planning for the ceremony to be at 11am and then the reception from 11:30am  to 1:30pm. So basically a long brunch. The church and reception restaurant are in walking distance (5 mins apart) and the everyone who will be at the wedding (family only) will be in the pictures so I'm not imagining the need for any pics outside of the church or reception. After the 1:30 mark everyone is going home, no additional party or anything.  
  • adwks said:
    How long is your reception? It sounds like you're having a morning ceremony and late morning/early afternoon meal, but are you going to have any type of party continue after that? 

The reception is however long it takes people to eat and socialize. We haven't  offically booked anything yet. I've checked the times and ability to do what I'm planning at these two places though. 

I'm planning for the ceremony to be at 11am and then the reception from 11:30am  to 1:30pm. So basically a long brunch. The church and reception restaurant are in walking distance (5 mins apart) and the everyone who will be at the wedding (family only) will be in the pictures so I'm not imagining the need for any pics outside of the church or reception. After the 1:30 mark everyone is going home, no additional party or anything.  
    Based on your timeline I'd ask them when they would like to eat then.  

At the caterer I work for, I typically am in charge of dismissing tables for the buffet and try and invite them to eat towards the end, but not last so they are able to work after dinner as needed.  
  • Let the photographer order/eat when everyone else does, or at least ask their preference. When everyone is eating there aren't really many opportunities to take photos since eating photos are extremely unflattering. Once guests finish eating they start mingling more, and you want your photog to be able to capture that with food in his/her belly. 

Also, please alert the venue staff to take the photogs order/serve them closely after the bridal party/VIP family. I know you said yours isn't buffet, but this applies to buffets too, please do not have your photographer go last. They won't get to eat because they will have to rush, and if they do decide to sit and eat they will likely miss photo opps. (then the lovely problem of having venue staff take full plates of uneaten food away fi they get up to take a photo.)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards