Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Makeup Artist didn't show up for wedding!

I was in 6 weddings this year. My last one was this past weekend and I'm happy that now I can focus on my own wedding. 

Let me tell you lovely ladies what happened in 5 out of 6 of these weddings.

My makeup was awful in 4 of them....and one makeup artist didn't even bother to show up in one of them. We only had one artist that was actually any good.

One of my friends (that I absolutely love) is a bit of a cheap skate. She had the money to hire good vendors but she went the cheap route on just abut everything and her wedding was the most disorganized out of the 6 I was in. If it wasn't one thing it was another. 

Not sure if it had to do with the inexperience of the wedding vendor (her videographer was arrested the day or two before and showed up late to her wedding) and her wedding planner didn't do anything but sit around and act like she was one of the wedding party members. She was only a day of planner but she charged $300 for day of but she was more of a liability than a help. 

For her makeup, she hired some artist because she was only charging $40 a person or something like that. Guess what? She didn't show up at all. 

We all ended up doing our own makeup and in a rush. It was a complete nightmare. My friend ended up doing her own because she refused to pay for makeup at the last minute from a makeup artist who charged significantly more and who could have been there at a moment's noticed. I love her but she is not very good with her own makeup (she fully admits it) I will be curious how it shows up in photos. Praying it will be ok.

The one wedding where we actually had great makeup was a pro artist that has been in the wedding industry for a long time. (I think I paid like $125 for our makeup but it was perfect and the day ran smoothly)

She told us that a lot of people are throwing up websites and calling themselves makeup artists and taking brides for a ride just to get things like cell phone bills paid. I was floored. She said that the industry is being taken over with Instagram artists and 17 year old high school students that have no idea how to work with brides.

She informed me that she gets a lot of business from last minute brides who were either stood up or cancelled on at the last minute. 

How has the process of finding a makeup artist been for you? How do you tell who will be good and who won't when looking at their websites and work?

Re: Makeup Artist didn't show up for wedding!

• I will be doing my own makeup. My sister too is great with makeup and she will be doing makeup for everyone. We have a small bridal party so it works. 

Anyone can call themselves a makeup artist these days. I got into the business because as a woman of color, I got fed up with makeup artists who did not understand how to work with my skin color and dark features. Many of my family and friends had the same issue. So I started it but eventually learned how to work with people of all colors and types. 

Here's my suggestion: 

1. Interview them. Ask them about their approach? personal style? and if they had experience with wedding makeup. Ask them questions about your skin type, color, and what they suggest. 

2. Some makeup artists do a trial. I offer a $20 deposit for a trial at least 4 weeks ahead but I suggest earlier. This is so what we can try different looks and she gets an idea how to work with me and see if it's a mutual match. The deposit will go towards the final price. There is no commitment unless she decides to move forward. 

3. When looking at her portfolio online, I suggest looking if she has people of all skin types, colors and backgrounds, and different looks and styles. That shows experience and understanding the client's needs. To me, I want the bride to be herself but feel beautiful. When working with brides, I ask several questions about their lifestyle, skin type, skin or beauty concerns, and the kind of makeup she normally wears, where the wedding is held, formality time etc. 

4. Go for a makeup artist who you feel communicating with. Communication style and personality match is important because you want someone who understands what you are looking for. Don't feel guilty about asking questions. 
  • Also doing my own. I've been practicing all year with different styles and colors though to make sure I know what I'm doing and it looks good ahead of time. 

I just have to say I feel this statement of yours is a bit judgey: "One of my friends (that I absolutely love) is a bit of a cheap skate. She had the money to hire good vendors but she went the cheap route on just abut everything."

How do you know how much money she has to spend on a wedding? Maybe she has student loans or other savings that she'd rather put good money towards. My parents are paying for a lot of my wedding expenses, but I am doing my utmost best not to burden them unnecessarily, and could easily be accused of taking "cheap routes" for a lot of my things. It's fine to say your friend was disorganized and did not do her due diligence in double-checking these vendors she hired, but I feel it's rather rude to bring finances into it. Inexpensive does not always equal disorganized. Poor planning does. There's plenty of expensive weddings that have been train wrecks, too. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Annnnd just realized this is a really old thread that probably needs to be shut down. @hellohkb ?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards