New York-Long Island

tipping matradee captian and bridal attendant at reception

has anyone encountered a reception hall that tells you how much you are supposed to tip matradee captian and bridal attendant and if so when did they tell you this because i am a little taken back i am about two weeks away from my wedding and my reception hall has just added a $650.00 tab ontop of the $3,000.00 in gratuitiy that we are already giving them I am annoyed and confused
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: tipping matradee captian and bridal attendant at reception

• edited December 2011
    I'd definitely question that. My understanding is that if they tack on gratuity to the per person price, an additional tip is optional. I could be wrong, but so far that's what I've seen. I wouldn't sign that contract until you get it sorted out. Or if you've already signed the contract and that wasn't included in it, I'd fight it.
  • lex22109lex22109 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was told I had to tip my matradee and bridal attendent around $1,000
  • edited December 2011
    Did they also charge you a percentage of the per person cost as gratuity lex? That's what's getting me with this situation.
  • edited December 2011
    yes they did already charge a 20% gratuity on the price per head and we did sign a contract but tips for the matredee and attendant and captian was not included i am 2 weeks away from my wedding and i have to say I am a little annoyed that they are telling me how much to tip that should really be dependant upon the level of their service and what I have to spend or at least i would think that
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with you 100% flower. I'd try to fight that!
  • t&j2008t&j2008 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The way it was explained to us when we got married last summer was that the 20% service charge was split amongst the waitstaff and bartenders, and neither the maitre'd or bridal attendant's tips were included in that fee.  We didn't have a captain, but I assume that is the case there as well.  The recommended tip for the maitre'd was $2-$4 per person.  I don't agree that you should be required to give a certain amount, and do believe that your tips should be based on service, but depending on the size of your guest list, $650 does not sound outrageous to me if it is being divided between 3 people.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks t&j, I didn't realize that the 20% gratuity was not split with the maitre'de or bridal attendant. Interesting. Again, I agree that they should not give a set amount on what to tip unless they include that information in the contract.
  • lex22109lex22109 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry for teh late reply- I was told the same 3-5 per head as a tip for the matradee and bridal attendent so if I have about 230 people that is close to the $100 tip. I'm not a huge fan of being told how much, so look at it as a guideline.
  • sassytaysassytay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I was shocked as well, but my banquet manager told me way in advance that it would cost $300 for the Matradee and 100 for the bridal attendant.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards