Massachusetts-Boston

Blank Canvas Venues and Cyclorama?

Hello Bridal World! So my fiance and I have had a tough time with wedding venue searches.  We learned that most of the venues that we were interested not only had an exclusive catering but they also had food beverage minimums of $20K and higher.  No, no and %&$@ No! The best venue that met our needs was Cyclorama - perfect blank canvas, HUGE, and you can do whatever you want...for the most part.  The problem is they promoted one price point for rental but our quote was almost double.  The rental price was fine but then they have items for staffing, etc... for $3K in addition to a $2K security deposit.  Making the rental of the room $10K+ and we haven't even done anything yet - doesn't include food, decor, lighting, etc...  We love the place but we are having such a hard time justifying it and our secret weapon (an event coordinator) is having such a tough time negotiating with them - she says because of their non-profit location - they are an unmovable wall.  We are so close to just biting the bullet and doing this.  We were hoping to do a wedding of 200+ guests for under $25K in total and we feel like we are completely off base here. But seriously for an empty room to cost $10K just seems crazy.  Any suggestions for other venues like this or if you had an event at Cyclorama is it really worth it? 

Re: Blank Canvas Venues and Cyclorama?

• IamnowmrsjmsIamnowmrsjms member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited October 2015

I've never heard of Cyclorama.  Have you looked at Artists for Humanity in Boston? Sounds similar to Cyclorama, in that it's a non profit and pretty much a "blank space" for you to create whatever vision you want.

Keep in mind that a "blank space" venue is going to create a lot more work for you and probably be more expensive (site rental fees+table/chair rentals/linen and serveware rentals+catering service/wait staff+decor+lighting...)

Are you dead set on this kind of venue? A 25k budget is very reasonable, but you may be stretching it w over 200 guests.Can you downsize your guest list at all?

ETA-10K is A LOT of $ to piss away on an empty room.  You were put off by 20K catering minimums, but you will pretty much throw away 10K for a room?! I wouldn't "just bite the bullet," and book them.  Take your time, do more research.  When are you planning on getting married?

• Artist for Humanity was the first choice - the only problem is that they are under construction and may not be booking for a while. However we are looking at the end of April 2017 for our date so definitely worth trying again.  The Cyclorama is HUGE and the rental for the room is $6K but then they have these other line items like licenses, cleaning, trash/recycling, event associates, security - those are the items that turned this into a $10K so maybe that is still worth it?  But I definitely hear you on the budget piece. The biggest thing is that we are not looking for a cookie cutter wedding.  There will be a lot of things that we would want to omit - like we're not doing a 3-5 course sit down dinner, no wedding cake, no limos etc... so there are ways to trim the fat.  My problem with these other places that have these minimums is that we are locked into their catering plan and their alcohol costs vs us bringing whatever food we want and buying alcohol from NH for really cheep. Our even planner knows how to break rules with out breaking rules and saving thousands for marrying couples.   But still definitely a tough call.  We just spoke to friends of ours recently who are looking at a $40-45K wedding for just 100 people so that definitely put things into perspective for us.  Definitely going to try Artists for Humanity.
  • Artist for Humanity was the first choice - the only problem is that they are under construction and may not be booking for a while. However we are looking at the end of April 2017 for our date so definitely worth trying again.  The Cyclorama is HUGE and the rental for the room is $6K but then they have these other line items like licenses, cleaning, trash/recycling, event associates, security - those are the items that turned this into a $10K so maybe that is still worth it?  But I definitely hear you on the budget piece. The biggest thing is that we are not looking for a cookie cutter wedding.  There will be a lot of things that we would want to omit - like we're not doing a 3-5 course sit down dinner, no wedding cake, no limos etc... so there are ways to trim the fat.  My problem with these other places that have these minimums is that we are locked into their catering plan and their alcohol costs vs us bringing whatever food we want and buying alcohol from NH for really cheep. Our even planner knows how to break rules with out breaking rules and saving thousands for marrying couples.   But still definitely a tough call.  We just spoke to friends of ours recently who are looking at a $40-45K wedding for just 100 people so that definitely put things into perspective for us.  Definitely going to try Artists for Humanity.

To the bolded-IMO, No.

My H and I didn't want a cookie cutter hotel ballroom or country club wedding either.  We found the perfect venue in Providence, RI.  A restaurant that used to be a federal reserve bank.  We looked at close to a dozen venues before we found this and fell in love.

You have plenty of time, so don't feel rushed to sign a contract ASAP.  Yes, venues book quickly, but I think you're far out enough that you'll still be able to take more time before you decide.

Where are you having your ceremony? The most important thing is going to be finding a venue that will coincide w your ceremony so that there is no gap for your guests.

What style dinner do you want to serve, since you said you're not doing a 3-5 course plated meal?

I got married 3 weeks ago, but loved planning my wedding and find I can't stay away from the boards! LOL  I looked at probably every venue imaginable in the Boston/Cape/Providence/Newport, RI area, so I'm happy to give you any suggestions if you want them.

• Hi OP!  We looked at the Cyclorama when we were first on the venue hunt.  We had similar wants as you guys - thought not necessarily a blank space, but something that didn't scream "wedding venue".  We had such a hard time the first couple months trying to find a place - especially one that would fit 175-200 guests.  We love the Cyclorama building as we used to go to Belgian Beer Fest there every year.  I was crushed when I found out it was going to cost $10k just to get in the door.  SO NOT WORTH IT.  You will never be able to pull off $25k for 200 people if you dump almost half of it into the room fee.  I don't mean that to be negative, just to hopefully help put things in perspective.  We tried to convince ourselves we could do the same thing - but the other stuff adds up SO fast.  Especially in a huge empty room.  Don't blow the budget on something that truly only has visual impact (i.e. doesn't really affect guest comfort/enjoyment) - as amazing as that visual may be!  Ugh, that skylight.  Damn it.

Artists for Humanity is a great suggestion - keep checking with them for sure.  I would also look at the Boston Harbor Distillery - its a really cool industrial-type venue, though I don't know how many people it holds.  There is also a mill building type space we looked at in Dover, NH called the Rivermill - not sure if you are willing to go that far.  It ended up being a little pricey for us (limited catering/bar options) and far away.  My last suggestion would be to check out our venue, the Arlington Town Hall.  While not exactly a *blank* canvas since it's very historic looking, it's a huge open room (actually an auditorium) with very high ceilings and you can do so much with the space.  They let you use any caterer you want, which was really important to us (no minimums or anything like that).  It was a great deal compared to other places we looked and the room was absolutely gorgeous when it was all decorated.

Good luck!!!

• If you don't mind having your wedding on the North Shore, there is a venue that is almost a blank canvas, can accommodate 200+ guests, and you don't have to worry about renting pertinent items such as chairs, linens, etc.

The venue is the Blue Ocean Event Center which is where our wedding will be held next April 2016 - http://www.blueoceaneventcenter.com/weddings/venues/

You have to use their catering because the venue is associated with a great restaurant next door, the Seaglass. But the food is great, I've had lunch and the Sunday Brunch which is awesome! I'm having a morning ceremony and brunch reception.

The venue overlooks Salisbury Beach in Salisbury, MA and though we are having our ceremony indoors if you wish you can marry on the beach. All the rooms except for the Music Hall have wall to wall windows facing the Atlantic Ocean -- beautiful views.

The room decor are neutral colors, modern, sleek and sophisticated. For the ceremony there is an arbor, nich padded white chairs, and they can also supply artificial trees and planted pedestals. Reception rooms have espresso brown chiavari chairs, modern (glass) candle centerpieces at no extra cost. You can of course bring in your own decorations, centerpieces, or rent custom lines or tableware.

This venue may not be your cup of tea, but in any case I wish you luck in finding your wedding venue.

Lydia

• Big cool spaces in Back Bay / South End can charge whatever they want, and as the old adage says, its not too expensive if enough people buy it. Being that its a non-profit I am betting that they are affording to operate non-events by making a lot of their money off special events. Have you looked into 9OFS? I think its about as blank-canvasey as you can get.
  • elloquent said:
    Big cool spaces in Back Bay / South End can charge whatever they want, and as the old adage says, its not too expensive if enough people buy it. Being that its a non-profit I am betting that they are affording to operate non-events by making a lot of their money off special events. Have you looked into 9OFS? I think its about as blank-canvasey as you can get.
    9OFS is a great suggestion - totally forgot about that spot!  Also, OP - check out Space 57 at the Revere Hotel.

• OP-have you made any progress on a decision yet?
  • @ Lydia Ann
    This venue looks gorgeous! I'd never heard of it.
  • Believe it or not Space 57 is currently holding our date for another event. 90FS I was really interested but not sure they can fit us. I was definitely able to tell my fiance to lets wait on Cyclorama for a while and continue our search. So we are going down a new list and opening our eyes to a little more outside the city.  Thank you all for some great suggestions that I will need to add on the list. We were both away at a conference so now we are full blown back at with the wedding search :)

• So to answer the questions from some of you - we are looking to do a Tapas cocktail style reception being that the ceremony will be on either a different night with a much smaller crew or it will be right before the party but we are looking to do a later night set up.
  • So to answer the questions from some of you - we are looking to do a Tapas cocktail style reception being that the ceremony will be on either a different night with a much smaller crew or it will be right before the party but we are looking to do a later night set up.

1. A reception occurs AFTER your ceremony as a THANK YOU to your guests who attended the ceremony.  Why would you plan two different days? You get ONE DAY. What guest is going to want to celebrate your wedding for TWO DAYS? Just, no.

Please don't tell me that you're planning on having a "small ceremony" w a select group then having a larger reception w people not invited to your ceremony.  Spend some time on the etiquette board.  This is called a tiered reception and it's VERY RUDE to your guests.

Furthermore, if by having a "cocktail style reception," you mean you're just serving apps and drinks, then I'd reconsider if this will be done at a meal time.  You need to provide your guests with food appropriate for a meal time and there needs to be a seat for every butt.  If you don't provide these two comforts, you're not hosting properly.  Be prepared for people to leave early and go eat dinner somewhere.  Who wants to be standing up for a reception in heels?

• I'm sorry but who are you and why are you immediately judging an event for a couple you know nothing about with guests who you also know nothing about? 85% of our guests are Latin Dancers who do nothing but dance. That being said we still plan to have seating for everyone and what I mean by tapas style is. Small Plates and Tapas is more what we are doing - very different from cocktail appetizers. Lots of small plates of all sorts that are constantly coming out so people can eat all night. Stationary and passed.  This even is a later evening event first of all and the thing that I personally hate most of all is having dinner last for 2 and half hours with a salad, then another dish, then you wait a while for the main course.  It's boring. We are a community of dancers and musicians and we know how to create a party for our people. These are women who can kick ass in 5 inch heels for 6 hours.  As for our ceremony when I mean private I mean private.  Seriously...come on - that is an intimate moment which is probably the only thing the bride and groom have control over. It is intimate and personal - do we really want 250+ people for something like that? We have met many couples that have a private ceremony with just their parents and immediate family like months before and then they have a big party.  No harm no foul.  ESPECIALLY when it's people from other countries.  They do it all the time.  Our event coordinator has done this many times with a HUGE success rate.  This is thinking outside the box.
  • I'm sorry but who are you and why are you immediately judging an event for a couple you know nothing about with guests who you also know nothing about? 85% of our guests are Latin Dancers who do nothing but dance. That being said we still plan to have seating for everyone and what I mean by tapas style is. Small Plates and Tapas is more what we are doing - very different from cocktail appetizers. Lots of small plates of all sorts that are constantly coming out so people can eat all night. Stationary and passed.  This even is a later evening event first of all and the thing that I personally hate most of all is having dinner last for 2 and half hours with a salad, then another dish, then you wait a while for the main course.  It's boring. We are a community of dancers and musicians and we know how to create a party for our people. These are women who can kick ass in 5 inch heels for 6 hours.  As for our ceremony when I mean private I mean private.  Seriously...come on - that is an intimate moment which is probably the only thing the bride and groom have control over. It is intimate and personal - do we really want 250+ people for something like that? We have met many couples that have a private ceremony with just their parents and immediate family like months before and then they have a big party.  No harm no foul.  ESPECIALLY when it's people from other countries.  They do it all the time.  Our event coordinator has done this many times with a HUGE success rate.  This is thinking outside the box.

This is NOT thinking outside the box.  This is RUDE.  If you want a small ceremony AND reception, then that is fine.  Keep it small.  People WANT to see you get married, that is the important part, not the party.

You need to invite EVERYONE to the entire wedding, not just some to the ceremony and more to the reception. 

You came on a wedding board looking for advice, and you got it.  Please don't insult your guests and also improperly host them.

PS your event coordinator is giving you horrible advice. 

Are you concerned at all about properly hosting your guests? Please lurk on the etiquette board, sounds like you need to learn a thing or two.

• sounds like the knot magazine who is not the queen of all weddings rules got to your head and you haven't left this site after getting married a year ago.
  • I'm sorry you felt the need to delete your profile because you could not handle honest advice.  Not like it matters, but I got married 2 months ago, not last year. :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards