Snarky Brides

Need snarky opinion on cutting corners for live music

OK snarky brides, I need your opinion on this one. Would you side-eye a wedding that cut cost corners but had a live band for cocktail hour? The cost cutting would be having disposable cups/plates/utensils, a barbecue buffet, and a signature cocktail + beer/wine instead of a full bar.

Basically, is it weird to have a laid-back or casual reception with a live band for part of it? The band is old timey Americana (fiddle, mandolin, trumpet, stand-up bass, guitar), and the wedding reception is in a restored barn. We're going for a down-home classy vibe, if that makes sense. What do you think?

Re: Need snarky opinion on cutting corners for live music

• lyndausvilyndausvi Western Slope, Colorado mod
    Moderator Knottie Warrior 10000 Comments 500 Love Its
    edited October 2015
    What would be be serving if you didn't have the live band?

ETA - I do not see anything wrong with your plan.  How would someone know you were even cutting corners for the live band anyway?  Maybe people have your type of menu.

I was just wondering.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Whaf kind of band? I wouldn't side eye the music choice over the nice dishes or booze per say, but I've definitely side eyed full pop/rock bands in cocktail hours. They're generally too loud to talk over but it's not really appropriate to dance yet...and unless you know and love the band, they're almost always a waste of money, because everyone would rather hear the recordings they know from a DJ. A jazz band or string quartet? I'd enjoy that.
  • lyndausvi: We'd maybe spring for the nicer meat choices (tri tip instead of pork), and maybe get actual china plates. The band is $800 so it's not so much a splurge, just differently allocating the budget. I'm just worried the band would look out of place at a casual reception, if that makes sense? And I should clarify it's a quartet with mostly instrumental music, some vocals. All their repertoire is classic Americana, like pre-1950s.
    JediElizabeth
  • I wouldn't side-eye it at all. I'd actually probably wonder why I'm eating BBQ on a really nice plate lol

FI and I are planning on doing BBQ, disposable cutlery, and a sig. drink + beer/wine as well...not really to cut corners, but just because that is what we like and it fits our budget. I don't think anyone would be disgruntled by all that.

Also, I think if you feel that the food is genuinely good and that the disposable stuff will hold up well, then go for those options and have your live band.

• OK snarky brides, I need your opinion on this one. Would you side-eye a wedding that cut cost corners but had a live band for cocktail hour? The cost cutting would be having disposable cups/plates/utensils, a barbecue buffet, and a signature cocktail + beer/wine instead of a full bar.

Basically, is it weird to have a laid-back or casual reception with a live band for part of it? The band is old timey Americana (fiddle, mandolin, trumpet, stand-up bass, guitar), and the wedding reception is in a restored barn. We're going for a down-home classy vibe, if that makes sense. What do you think?
    As an environmentalist, paper plates make me cry.  But I wouldn't side-eye a band as a way to spend your money.
  • julieanne912julieanne912 member
    1000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary First Answer
    edited October 2015
    OK snarky brides, I need your opinion on this one. Would you side-eye a wedding that cut cost corners but had a live band for cocktail hour? The cost cutting would be having disposable cups/plates/utensils, a barbecue buffet, and a signature cocktail + beer/wine instead of a full bar.

My wedding was in a barn, and we also had BBQ food and disposable plates and cups, beer, wine, and 3 liquor choices and mixers.  We received a lot of compliments on the food.  If someone side eyed it, oh well... I wasn't about to spend tons of money on china for BBQ food in a barn.   

I will say, having a live band for only an hour for $800 seems a bit crazy to me and I would wonder why they only played for an hour... but I don't think it would even occur to anybody that because you saved money w/ the type of food, that you were able to afford the band.    
    Married 9.12.15
  • adk19: All plates etc will be compostable, and the wedding is in California so much more environmentally friendly than washing dishes in the drought!

Thanks for everyone's responses, I guess I am just over-thinking this. I will hire the band!
  • I would definitely side-eye this if you had like a full-on 10-piece band with singers and electric guitars that probably cost you a few thousand dollars to hire.  What you have planned sounds great.  I would also like to eat and drink at your wedding.

[Deleted User]spockforprez
  • Nah, sounds fun!
    *********************************************************************************

• thisismynickname2thisismynickname2 City By The Lake member
    5000 Comments Sixth Anniversary 500 Love Its First Answer
    I'm good with your plan. My logic is all about what matters. Quality of food matters. What you serve it on does not matter (and kudos to you re: drought). I'd get a kick out of the band and it's guest-focused so that matters. Go for it. 

[Deleted User]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards