Attire & Accessories Forum

Dress only comes in plus size?

Mori Lee 3194 - I fell in love with this dress but the person that was helping me at the wedding shop realized that it's a new dress that only comes in plus size right now. She said she would call and ask when they will start making it in other sizes and if they can make a smaller size for me... is this probable? I'm so nervous about it and I don't know whether I should get my hopes up. Or has anyone seen this or know if designers make other sizes fairly quickly? 

Also, if I just order the smallest plus size they have (16) and I'm around a 14, how bad would that be for alterations? 

Re: Dress only comes in plus size?

• 14 to 16 wouldn't be to terrible don't by a seamstress. Now if it was 16 to 8 that bad.
    I had to get an 18 bridesmaid dress because a mix up and I'm a 16 quite a bit had to be altered in but it is doable
  • Done not don't sorry
  • Personally I would rather find a similar gown that can be ordered in my size.  Why pay so much more for alterations when you don't have too?

• Mori Lee 3194 - I fell in love with this dress but the person that was helping me at the wedding shop realized that it's a new dress that only comes in plus size right now. She said she would call and ask when they will start making it in other sizes and if they can make a smaller size for me... is this probable? I'm so nervous about it and I don't know whether I should get my hopes up. Or has anyone seen this or know if designers make other sizes fairly quickly? 

Also, if I just order the smallest plus size they have (16) and I'm around a 14, how bad would that be for alterations? 

Are you a street size 14? Because you might be a 16 or 18 in bridals. Bridal dresses are almost always sized way small. I'm a street size 8 and my dress was a 12. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • No, they measured me and I'm about a 14 in bridal. The smallest size is a 16. 
  • I don't think it would be impossible to have the dress altered but it may be pretty costly.  I will say, I have seen styles similar to that from many other designers, I can't recall who off the top of my head but its a pretty popular style right now.  May be worth doing some research to try to find another one similar that you like first. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Speaking from someone who spent a lot on alterations to a lace dress similar to the one you're looking at.... and it was ordered in the correct size... I think you could do it, but just be prepared to pay a lot in alterations.  Lace dresses cost a lot to alter since it requires a lot more hand work than non-lace... same for anything with lots of beading.  

I agree that it's a pretty popular dress style right now so you can probably find something very similar from a different designer.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • I would keep looking. It could get so expensive to alter and you run the risk of it getting messed up! If you don't find something you love just as much you could always go back to it.
  • i work in retail and have over 16 years working with dresses clothing for all genders and sizes 

with plus size clothing they use a different size pattern to cut the fabrics and make the sizes because of our curvy bodies,

for instance designers make gowns up to a 28-30 depending on the designer if they don't have a plus size line the larger sizes will be made using the average size pattern they will just cut more fabric to construct the dress and it wont fit right on a plus size women.

now if the designer has a specific plus size line they will have the special pattern that will cut the gown and make it so it fits right to our bodies. when you take a plus size gown the smallest size and put it on a person who is a misses size 14 the dress will fit totally wrong and they will have to alter the dress drastically to fit your shape and body 

i remember my first dress shop i went to was a bridal consignment they had some amazing mori lee gowns from the 2009 collection i said well the dress is 5 seasons old but the design style was still popular it was a 28 i am a bridal 26 the dress didnt close up all the way in the back and fit me funny it was because the dress was not a 28w it was just a 28 

hope this helps 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards