Pre-wedding Parties

When to have wedding shower?

My fiance and I have a unique situation. Our wedding date is June 25th, 2016. He is from California and I am from Texas (where the wedding will be), but we both go to school in California. I'll be in Texas over the Christmas break and won't go back to Cali until around the 20th of January. After I graduate in early May I'll be back in Texas until our wedding. My parents and matron of honor have been discussing wedding showers and want to know when to have them, but I don't know when to have them. My church does really nice wedding showers for all engaged couples in the church and my extended family and friends would want to have one for us as well. Obviously, I want my fiancé to be there. My parents have brought up the fact that it won't really make sense for him to fly to Texas just to be there for the wedding showers since he'll be spending more getting here than we'll probably get from the showers. He and I were hoping he could visit over Christmas break, but that would be too early for a shower, wouldn't it? Should I have him not visit over the break and have him visit in early May so we could have a couple showers? Since we are trying to save, should I just go ahead and have them without him? Coming to Texas just for the wedding would mean taking off of work and spending a couple hundred on plane tickets. He doesn't plan on coming to Texas until about a week or two before the wedding, and that would be too close to the wedding to have a shower... I just don't know what to do! Thanks in advance for the help!

Re: When to have wedding shower?

• I think December or January is much too early. I agree he prob shouldn't come.
  • Just have it without him.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • blocketh said:
    My fiance and I have a unique situation. Our wedding date is June 25th, 2016. He is from California and I am from Texas (where the wedding will be), but we both go to school in California. I'll be in Texas over the Christmas break and won't go back to Cali until around the 20th of January. After I graduate in early May I'll be back in Texas until our wedding. My parents and matron of honor have been discussing wedding showers and want to know when to have them, but I don't know when to have them. My church does really nice wedding showers for all engaged couples in the church and my extended family and friends would want to have one for us as well. Obviously, I want my fiancé to be there. My parents have brought up the fact that it won't really make sense for him to fly to Texas just to be there for the wedding showers since he'll be spending more getting here than we'll probably get from the showers. He and I were hoping he could visit over Christmas break, but that would be too early for a shower, wouldn't it? Should I have him not visit over the break and have him visit in early May so we could have a couple showers? Since we are trying to save, should I just go ahead and have them without him? Coming to Texas just for the wedding would mean taking off of work and spending a couple hundred on plane tickets. He doesn't plan on coming to Texas until about a week or two before the wedding, and that would be too close to the wedding to have a shower... I just don't know what to do! Thanks in advance for the help!
    I'm sure you didn't mean it this way ... it sounds a bit like you're seeing the shower as a way of income ... just comes across odd.  I wouldn't phrase things that way next time.
  • No, not necessarily. My parents just see it as defeating the purpose for him to spend all that money to get here when he could just use that money to get what we need instead of having others get it for us. We aren't seeing the showers as income, but as a blessing. Not every couple has a lot of money to start off with, so every little thing is a huge blessing for us.
    And as  far as not having him with me, I really would like to avoid that. Where I'm from in Texas, that's not the culture. At least not in our circles. Both the groom and bride attend and folks bring presents and have a small fellowship. It's a very intimate time that would just be awkward for one person to be there. I don't think I've ever been to a wedding shower where it was just one of the two that was there.
  • ILoveBeachMusic - I really like this suggestion and will definitely consider it as an alternative if he can't come at a good time. Thank you so much!
  • Traditionally, the groom does not attend the shower.  It used to be a ladies' thing.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards