Attire & Accessories Forum

Help! Questions on low-back gown undergarments!

I recently purchased my dress (pictures attached) and am trying to figure out what to do for a bra.  As you can see, the dress has a VERY low back, making a regular bra out of the question.  Do you think I should try to find a low-back bustier? A stick-on, backless bra? Or do I even need a bra? I'm a 32 C... 

I was considering having the seamstress sew in cups.  If I do that, what should I wear to the fittings? I'll be honest, being completely topless while trying on my dress made me a little uncomfortable.  I would be even more uncomfortable if I was braless while the seamstress was messing around in that area.  

Any thoughts? 

Thanks!

Re: Help! Questions on low-back gown undergarments!

• Get cups sewn in. As far as being uncomfortable with the seamstress, why? They're just boobs. She's seen plenty before, I assure you. Ditto for whoever was assisting you trying it on. It comes with the job.
  • Yeah I'm with you on the uncomfortable factor, but you just have to suck it up. I'm sure they see and feel hundreds of boobs a day. 

I had the same issue, low back, 34C. If the dress has no structure on top then gets cups sewn in, but they don't really do anything for support. Just serve to cover any nip and not have you 'swinging around'. Cups actually looked weird in mine so I didn't. None of the recommended stick on bras did anything for me, but they might for you, everyone is different. 

I actually went with Fashion Forms breast lifts, (a breast lift tape)  just to keep them up and sort of 'still' if that makes sense. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Your seamstress doesn't care if you are braless.  In fact, she has probably seen the same amount of topless women as a Playboy photographer.  Seriously, she is just focusing on getting your dress pinned correctly so that she can do the appropriate alterations.  So I think that is something that you just need to get over.

The only thing that I think that would work with that dress are one of those stick on bras or lifting tape.  But if you get cups sewn in then you wouldn't need either of those things.

• My dress has a similar back and I'm a 34G. When I was purchasing the dress they told me a bra wouldn't be a big deal, but after I purchased it they said "well you could try chicken cutlet inserts". 

I would let the seamstress add in cups, but you could also wear a backless bra in addition to the cups, I suppose. NuBra is supposed to be excellent. If you're really that uncomfortable around the seamstress, wear a NuBra or pasties or something. Really though, people in that industry have seen naked women hundreds of times. They won't really notice or care.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Yeah, ditto others, get over the uncomfortable factor with the boobs.  They're just breasts, it's not like you're flashing your vagina to her.  

My dress had a similar plunge in front, and a sheer back.  I'm a DD.  I was completely comfortable with the sewn in cups and all the other structural things the dress had built in, and I'm usually a pretty modest person.
    Married 9.12.15
  • mvlepistomvlepisto member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2015
    I am a 38DD and I had cups sewn into my dress and it was fine, the girls stayed in place. So I think with that low of a back that would be your best option. Wear whatever makes you comfortable to the fitting. If the seamstress needs you to take off your bra for accuracy she will tell you.
  • I'm a 34DDD and had a cut out back that went pretty low.  I originally purchased a corset with a deep back that was low enough, but the boning in it was too visible through the material. The seamstress ended up putting in cups, which I was nervous about with my larger chest, but they worked out perfectly.
  • I wouldn't recommend a stick on bra (they have the tendency to become sweaty).  If you're wanting to wear a normal bra, try to find a low-back bra extender.  It's a strap that hooks into the clips of your normal bra, goes down, around your tummy and then back up to the other side of the bra, creating a low-back "x" shape with the bra straps at the back.  These are usually found in lingerie sections in department stores or online.  Otherwise cups sewn into the dress would work (you could always give your dressmaker an oldish bra to cut up and use).
  • Honey, they're just boobs!  All ladies have them!  Get over yourself.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Your seamstress definitely can sew in cups. Also, with a 32C, you might not even need them. I'm a 34C and I'm going with nothing. Some dresses are structured enough that you don't need anything.

Also, 2 of my BM are DD and the dress is mid-low back; they are both fine with just the cups sewn in.

Lastly, your seamstress with not care! Boobs are nothing to them. Take it from someone who gets waxed every month - you get over feeling indecent very quickly.

• I wore those adhesive bras that snap at the front.  Worked fine but I am a 34 B/C.  Try them on before the wedding but buy a new set for the big day because I don't think that the adhesive will hold up well. Also consider dress tape to keep in your emergency kit.
  • To the people who are saying "get over it" to the OP, this is insulting.  I hated disrobing when I tried on dresses. The woman should have turned around.  When she said "I see tons of boobies", that just made it worse. How crass! 
  • T19103 said:

To the people who are saying "get over it" to the OP, this is insulting.  I hated disrobing when I tried on dresses. The woman should have turned around.  When she said "I see tons of boobies", that just made it worse. How crass! 

If you don't want anyone seeing your breasts, maybe don't pick a backless dress that plunges below your bra line in front then?
  • T19103 said:

To the people who are saying "get over it" to the OP, this is insulting.  I hated disrobing when I tried on dresses. The woman should have turned around.  When she said "I see tons of boobies", that just made it worse. How crass! 

Then wear pasties or a backless bra. It really isn't that big of a deal.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• T19103 said:

But the bolded is true.  They see so many boobs that they really don't give a shit if they see yours.  They aren't staring at you and drooling.  They become numb to it.  Probably like how a gyno gets numb at seeing vag after vag.  They probably aren't even paying that close attention to you disrobing.  Their job is to get you in and out of dresses and to help you find something you like.  With that job comes seeing people pretty much completely naked.  The only person in that room that was uncomfortable was you because the consultant could not give a crap that you are topless.

• T19103 said:
    Whenever I tried on dresses and met with my seamstress, both the consultant and seamstress waited outside for me to undress and get the dress kind of on and then they would come in and zip me up. I did have to ask at one place how to get in a dress so they saw me undressed but the lady was very professional.

Now when I went for alterations, the lady had to put her hands down my front and things like that but she kept it professional. If your seamstress makes you uncomfortable then let her know or go somewhere else.

• switSwoo00switSwoo00 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2015

T19103 said:

But the bolded is true.  They see so many boobs that they really don't give a shit if they see yours.  They aren't staring at you and drooling.  They become numb to it.  Probably like how a gyno gets numb at seeing vag after vag.  They probably aren't even paying that close attention to you disrobing.  Their job is to get you in and out of dresses and to help you find something you like.  With that job comes seeing people pretty much completely naked.  The only person in that room that was uncomfortable was you because the consultant could not give a crap that you are topless.

Boxes boxes boxes boxes

Yes, that's true, but it's not so much about their feelings as the person whose boobs/vag you're referring to. I'm a midwife and was a nurse prior to this. I've seen thousands of human body parts in various stages of undress and I am completely numb to it now, but I appreciate that every person has a different boundary for where they feel comfortable exposing their body to me and I try to be aware that just because I am totally not bothered, that doesn't change their perception of feeling vulnerable. If i can deliver a baby without making someone get completely nude then I'm pretty sure a seamstress doesn't need a full frontal to measure some cups.

ETA boxes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards