Attire & Accessories Forum

Hayley Paige dress (Dori) bra suggestions

Like many others, I'm looking for suggestions for a bra for this dress (https://www.jlmcouture.com/Hayley-Paige/Bridal/Additional/Style-6413)

Since it's a super-popular style, I figured maybe I'd find a bride on here that wore this and had a great boob plan. I haven't had alterations yet (I'll need a plan in place for then), but I tried on my dress when it came in, and my saleslady suggested a low-back bra that would still need to be unhooked at the top and folded over, which is a no for me, especially at the $150 price tag. That's why I'm turning to you, wise women of the internet.

Some questions you may have:
Q1: What size beasts are you working with?
A1: 36-38DD. Oof.

Q2: Why did you buy this dress if you didn't know what to do with your boobs?
A2: Fair question. In all the chaos of tulle and clips and fabric with the sample gown, I didn't realize exactly how complicated my situation would be. I also thought that the fee for adjusting to my cup size in conjunction with the fact that it had boning would do the trick. That is not the case. Also, I loved the dress, and when you love something, you figure out a way.

Q3: Why not try sewn-in cups/breast tape/prayer?
A3: I have little to no experience with any of those, but if you do and have found any of the above to help lift and separate, please tell me more.

As a backup, if no one has any experience with this particular style, how creepy is it to message brides/strangers on Instagram who've worn it and ask what they did? It feels very creepy, but I need ideas.

Thanks in advance, ladies!

Re: Hayley Paige dress (Dori) bra suggestions

• Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2015
    What is the structure like in the bodice of the dress?  If the bodice is pretty structured then sewn in cups will work just fine.  Remember this dress is going to be super fitted to your body so basically it will act like its own bra.  It isn't like a t-shirt where there is no structure that holds up the shirt/keeps things from falling/holds you up.  Sewn in cups will just help to keep you boobs where they should be (up and perky) and to give you a bit more shape in that area.

• Thanks for the input! I was thinking cups were mostly for ladies with smaller boobs. 

The top layer is a bunch of crystals locked together to form their own layer (free from the layer of fabric underneath), while the layer underneath is cream/nude and fairly gauzy and with some light boning (not corset-like boning), so I wasn't sure how trusting I could be of cups if the boning wasn't that intense. (As you can tell, I haven't mastered my bridal lingo.) Also, when I tried it on, the straps needed to be shortened about 2", so that I'm sure also distorted how the front will look on me.
  • Agreed w/ Maggie.  I'm a 36DD and I found adding cups to my sheer back dressand the structure under the dress (boning, but not as much as a corset) were enough to keep the girls in order all night with no bra.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Agree with PPs. I'm a 32E/EE and I had cups sewn in. If your seamstress is worth their salt, they'll have that top fit perfectly so the cups just add the extra support.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards