Vow Renewals

Vow Renewal Dress

I've been over to the I Do Take Two website and do not entirely understand their rule of, "the dress you select for your wedding vow renewal should not look like a wedding dress".  They say to keep the wedding dresses to the brides, but that it is okay to wear white.  Since wedding dresses are so varied now in style (and color), how would I know that a dress is appropriately non-wedding?

My husband and I were married our senior year of college and did not go on a honeymoon.  We've talked about going on an anniversary trip for our 10 year reunion (or 15, or whenever works with our schedule) and renewing our vows.  We would be celebrating making it that far despite getting married so young, surviving going to graduate school for his doctorate, and moving across country twice (most likely three times by then).

We have discussed going to a beach to renew our vows and have a photographer to capture the memories.  This is not something we would invite others to attend; this would be just for us.  Would I be breaking etiquette by wearing a beachy wedding dress even when there is just us, a photographer, and some sort of facilitator for the vows?

The attached photo is similar to what I would pick if wearing a white wedding dress is not appropriate.

Re: Vow Renewal Dress

• Etiquette is really just a standard for which you should treat others. Since you are not inviting anyone to attend your renewal I think the dress you picked out would be fine. Honestly as long as the vendors were compensated and contracts honored I don't see how you could break etiquette. Other knotties may think differently though, many are much more versed in etiquette than I am. 
  • I've been over to the I Do Take Two website and do not entirely understand their rule of, "the dress you select for your wedding vow renewal should not look like a wedding dress".  They say to keep the wedding dresses to the brides, but that it is okay to wear white.  Since wedding dresses are so varied now in style (and color), how would I know that a dress is appropriately non-wedding?

My husband and I were married our senior year of college and did not go on a honeymoon.  We've talked about going on an anniversary trip for our 10 year reunion (or 15, or whenever works with our schedule) and renewing our vows.  We would be celebrating making it that far despite getting married so young, surviving going to graduate school for his doctorate, and moving across country twice (most likely three times by then).

We have discussed going to a beach to renew our vows and have a photographer to capture the memories.  This is not something we would invite others to attend; this would be just for us.  Would I be breaking etiquette by wearing a beachy wedding dress even when there is just us, a photographer, and some sort of facilitator for the vows?

The attached photo is similar to what I would pick if wearing a white wedding dress is not appropriate.
    If you are having a private vow renewal, with no guests, then you can do anything you wish.  It is only when you have guests that etiquette is an issue.  Wear whatever you want to wear.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I've been over to the I Do Take Two website and do not entirely understand their rule of, "the dress you select for your wedding vow renewal should not look like a wedding dress".  They say to keep the wedding dresses to the brides, but that it is okay to wear white.  Since wedding dresses are so varied now in style (and color), how would I know that a dress is appropriately non-wedding?

PPs covered the etiquette piece, but I wanted to mention that my actual wedding was me in a beach wedding dress with just us, a photographer and a celebrant!

• Thanks!  I was thinking anything I picked would be fine since there'd not be anyone there to see.  I suppose friends/family could see the pictures and judge what I'm wearing, but I don't care too much.  This day will be just for us.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards