Budget Weddings Forum

Black Friday Sales - Anything to look out for?

edited November 2015 in Budget Weddings Forum
Hi all!

I'm having an August 2016 wedding and starting to plan the big stuff (MOC/photographer/venue/church booked and currently narrowing down DJ and catering), but haven't thought too much about the fun decorations part. 

With black friday sales coming up, I'm wondering if anyone has advice on things to look out for? I feel like I'm not thinking of decor or smaller wedding items and might miss some great opportunities for deals.

Any brides have items that they are keeping their eye on or stuff they purchased for their wedding? Just a note-- not looking for specifics or vendors, just curious if you are planning to take advantage on things like card boxes/holders etc. 

Re: Black Friday Sales - Anything to look out for?

• When I think of black friday I think of malls, best buy etc. Maybe check out Micheals or Hobby Lobby but I certainly wouldn't be waiting in line at 6 am for anything from there. You might have luck on cyber Monday on amazon.

• I went shopping for my wedding dress on black Friday, lol! There were no sales. And honestly, I've been disappointed the last couple years with Black Friday. The sales aren't that good anymore.

Ditto PPs on having better luck on Cyber Monday.
    *********************************************************************************

• Think about your wedding party gifts.  Shop for each person individually like it is their birthday.  Things like really nice wine glasses, etc go on sale super cheap.  Last year DD wanted wine glasses for Christmas.  I found a set that normally sells for 72.00 on sale for 19.00.

If you know your bridal party has specific interests look for those things.  I think the holiday season is an awesome way to get really  nice BP gifts for a great price.

• We did chocolate covered pretzel rods for our favor.  I purchased the melting chocolate at Michael's on Black Friday.  I made sure the expiration date was good through out wedding, which was March.

I also bought some of the BP gifts.  Target had $5 DVDs of Bridesmaids, so I bought a copy for each BM.  It wasn't there only gift, but it was the first thing I got for each of them!

If you are planning on fake floral bouquets, you might want to buy all of the flowers.  You could also probably purchase something to make a card box with. 

I wouldn't go too hard on buying decorations, there is a long way till August and you may change your mind on things.  But then get stuck with items because they are no longer returnable.

• $89 TV sets for your WP as gifts?!?!? 

Only if you're getting a 30% off your entire purchase of combined regular and sale price items at Michael's/Hobby Lobby/JoAnn's is it really worth getting things like an aisle runner, cake topper, invite kits, etc.

• Michael's has their Black Friday ad posted already here: http://www.theblackfriday.com/michaels-blackfriday.shtml  

Sadly they're opening their stores at 4pm on Thursday :(  But you can shop online.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • I booked my photographer through either a Black Friday or Cyber Monday sale.

otherwise you might get a good coupon at Michael's or JoAnn for % off total purchase, including sale items.

• I second all the JoAnn's and Michael's suggestions, although now knowing Michael's is opening at 4pm Thanksgiving I won't be shopping there this holiday season unless they have something I can't find elsewhere.

Also, after a quick peek at some of the sales flyers already available, some of the items are currently on sale for the same or BETTER deals!

• I think PP have the Black Friday thing covered.  But, I wanted to add that you may want to look at sales/clearances after other holidays.  You may be able to find decor or favor items cheap after easter or valentines day.  Candy from either can go great for favors. We found our flower girl dress on after-easter clearance for $14. We had a destination wedding and I found a lot of great beachy/nautical themed stuff on sale at end of summer for my welcome bags. So, keep an eye out after holidays to see what sales items may work for your wedding.

• You can get some great deals on fine jewelry from reputable companies on Black Friday. Depending on what you are looking for you might be able to find stuff for the Bride, bridesmaid, cuff links, or mothers of the bride and groom jewelry. If there is something you are eyeing, check it out before hand and make sure it's actually a deal on black Friday

Personally I will be looking for a Fuiji Film Instax Camera on sale that day because we'd like to do the instant photo guestbook, and that little camera and film can be quite costly.

As other posters have said, welcome bags, potential for travel savings for honeymoon, gifts and decor are all possibilities.  Just make sure you have a plan and budget before you spent a cent - don't want to get caught up in the sales stickers. 
  • Some great ideas here, especially bridal party gifts!  

If you are sending STDs and haven't purchased them already, Wedding Paper Divas usually has an awesome sale on Black Friday/Cyber Monday.  They always have sales, but I believe this is their biggest discount of the year.  I bought our STDs that weekend last year and I believe they were 35% off.

• You can get some great deals on fine jewelry from reputable companies on Black Friday. Depending on what you are looking for you might be able to find stuff for the Bride, bridesmaid, cuff links, or mothers of the bride and groom jewelry. If there is something you are eyeing, check it out before hand and make sure it's actually a deal on black Friday

Personally I will be looking for a Fuiji Film Instax Camera on sale that day because we'd like to do the instant photo guestbook, and that little camera and film can be quite costly.

As other posters have said, welcome bags, potential for travel savings for honeymoon, gifts and decor are all possibilities.  Just make sure you have a plan and budget before you spent a cent - don't want to get caught up in the sales stickers. 
    FYI, I did the FujiFilm Instax photo guestbook.  It turned out awesome.  But, besides the cost of the camera, we found that film costs about $0.75 for each picture.  And plan on around 1.5 - 2 pictures per guest/couple.  Several people will take more than one picture.  You may get many that do photos in family groups, but we also had people having fun with it and taking multiple pictures.  But, we had some great, fun pictures as a result.  Luckily, I planned for that and had more than enough film. My sister did the same thing for her wedding, but planned for 1 picture per family/couple.  She ran out of film fairly early.  There was another wedding at her venue that had a photo booth, so several of her guests crashed the neighboring wedding to use the photo booth.  And she had maybe 1/4 of her book with no photos.  So, it's better to have too much film than not enough.

• We ordered our invitations on sale on Black Friday. Other things that come to mind are shoes, jewelry, shapewear to go with the dress, and gifts for your WP.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I'm hoping Etsy people will have a Cyber Monday sale. Keeping my out for bridal party gifts and the artsy stuff for my wedding (customized cake toppers, centerpiece, decor)
  • I think PP have the Black Friday thing covered.  But, I wanted to add that you may want to look at sales/clearances after other holidays.  You may be able to find decor or favor items cheap after easter or valentines day.  Candy from either can go great for favors. We found our flower girl dress on after-easter clearance for $14. We had a destination wedding and I found a lot of great beachy/nautical themed stuff on sale at end of summer for my welcome bags. So, keep an eye out after holidays to see what sales items may work for your wedding.

I agree with this. If you're planning to use any sort of strung lights, wait until after Christmas. You can get them dirt cheap! I've gotten white Christmas lights before for $1.75 per box!

• What a weird post.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards