Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Open house a few months after reception

Hi everyone,

I am in dire need of some advice! My future mother-in-law wants my fiance and I to send letters (basically apologizing, I think?) to the relatives/friends who will not be invited to our wedding or reception and to extend an invitation to an open house at a later date that she and my father-in-law will be hosting. While I would love to invite everyone to our wedding, it is not financially possible (student loan debt, my fiance and I are also paying for 95% of the wedding) and this seemed like a good compromise. How can we (tactfully) go about honoring the request of my in-laws??

Best Answers

• Options
    levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Answer ✓
    LB59270 said:
    Hi everyone,

I am in dire need of some advice! My future mother-in-law wants my fiance and I to send letters (basically apologizing, I think?) to the relatives/friends who will not be invited to our wedding or reception and to extend an invitation to an open house at a later date that she and my father-in-law will be hosting. While I would love to invite everyone to our wedding, it is not financially possible (student loan debt, my fiance and I are also paying for 95% of the wedding) and this seemed like a good compromise. How can we (tactfully) go about honoring the request of my in-laws??
    Do not send an apology letter.  You have nothing to apologize for.  While it looks like your parents or in-laws are contributing, so they have some sort of say, steer clear of doing a repeat reception.  You can throw a "celebration of marriage" party, but it is not your reception, and it shouldn't have any traditional "wedding reception" trappings (i.e. first dance, cake cutting, garter toss, etc).  @CMGragain is great with wording for celebration of marriage invites.  

Re: Open house a few months after reception

• Options

This is what Chivarees are for... 

But really, no apology letter - REALLY!  As long as you didn't send STD's to these people, which would be a bigger etiquette blunder, there is no reason that you need to apologize to anyone.  If your FMIL wants to throw any party after the fact to celebrate - more power to her, she can plan/organize/send invites, just let you know when to show up.  If she'd like for the people not invited to get an announcement after the fact (you could print these up and have her put them in the mailbox the AM of your wedding), that's o.k. too!  But apology, just, no...

• Options
    LB59270 said:
    Hi everyone,

Just wanted to make sure... you say wedding OR reception.
    Everyone you're inviting to one is getting invited to the other, right?
  • Options
    Yes. I just included both; my mind has a tendency to split the two up since they are not at the same location. :)
  • Options
    levioosa said:
    Do not send an apology letter.  You have nothing to apologize for.  While it looks like your parents or in-laws are contributing, so they have some sort of say, steer clear of doing a repeat reception.  You can throw a "celebration of marriage" party, but it is not your reception, and it shouldn't have any traditional "wedding reception" trappings (i.e. first dance, cake cutting, garter toss, etc).  @CMGragain is great with wording for celebration of marriage invites.  
    This is a great idea. I'll have to look into it!
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    If your FILs want to host a party for their relatives and friends who won't be invited to the wedding, they can do that, but they should issue the invitations themselves. You should not send out any "apology letters" because you do not owe anyone an apology that you are not inviting them to your wedding (providing you invite all couples together and don't split up minor siblings).
    My line of thought was: "In the thirteen years I have been best friends with my fiance, and I have only met you once or twice, we won't be extending an invitation (and vice versa for him)." We are inviting all immediate family and a few relatives.
  • Options
    MesmrEwe said:

This is what Chivarees are for... 

But really, no apology letter - REALLY!  As long as you didn't send STD's to these people, which would be a bigger etiquette blunder, there is no reason that you need to apologize to anyone.  If your FMIL wants to throw any party after the fact to celebrate - more power to her, she can plan/organize/send invites, just let you know when to show up.  If she'd like for the people not invited to get an announcement after the fact (you could print these up and have her put them in the mailbox the AM of your wedding), that's o.k. too!  But apology, just, no...

No STD's have been sent. They will be going out in the new year, and I was trying to gain perspective on this before they were mailed. Another question answered!

• Options
    Is there any reason, other than budget restraints, that you do not want to invite the people your MIL wants you to send these letters to and invite to the open house?  If she has the means to host these people for a seperate event and if you do not object to them being invited if you had room in your budget (and not over the capacity of your venue), maybe suggest that she contribute to the extra cost of inviting the guests. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    AW3380 said:
    Is there any reason, other than budget restraints, that you do not want to invite the people your MIL wants you to send these letters to and invite to the open house?  If she has the means to host these people for a seperate event and if you do not object to them being invited if you had room in your budget (and not over the capacity of your venue), maybe suggest that she contribute to the extra cost of inviting the guests. 
    With the exception of MIL/FILs few close friends, I disagree with this, unless the OP and her FI would want these guests there. And from the OPs other posts, these are people the OP has met once or twice, so they don't sound like they are the ILs best friends. 

IMO, weddings are a more personal event, and just because they *could* afford to invite every person they've ever met, or every person who MIL is going to gush to about her son's wedding, doesn't mean they should. There is nothing wrong with MIL throwing a party of her own to invite all of her friends at another time and place. 

OP- I would not send any apology letters out. You have nothing to apologize for. If your ILs want to host an open house, "Come meet my new DIL!", they absolutely can- anyone can throw a party for any reason. But if this is the case, they should be sending the invitations (in which case they can invite anyone they want), because they are the ones hosting the party. 
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015
    Mr. and Mrs. John Groomsparents
    announce the marriage of
    Miss Bride's Full Name
    to their son
    Groom's First Middle
    Date of marriage
    City, State

This is a formal wedding announcement.  Your MIL may  send it as soon as you are married to anyone who wasn't invited to the wedding.  It is NOT an apology - that would be inappropriate.  The marriage announcement does not mean that anyone should bring or send you a gift.  It is a personal way of telling people who were not invited to the wedding

Mr. and Mrs. John Groomsparent
    request the pleasure of your company
    at an open house party
    to celebrate the recent marriage of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    Date
    Time
    Address
    City, State

This is a party invitation.  It makes it clear that you are already married and it invites people to a party.  It is sent by your MIL, since she is the hostess.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards