Wedding Woes

It's Prudie Friday.

Dear Prudence, 
Four years ago, my sweet and loving husband, the awesome father of our three children, was struck down by brain cancer and suffered brain trauma following emergency surgery. I’ve cared for him at home, dealing with the hassles of hospitals, insurance, family drama (his parents blame me for his health issues). He will never recover and he is declining. It is like being married to a 41-year-old Alzheimer’s patient. He does not remember me, our long marriage, or our kids. I’m trying to place him in a nursing home, but there are waiting lists. About a year ago, I met a man who was genuine and kind. As the friendship grew, he began helping with my kids, even helping my husband by playing music and visiting with him. My boyfriend knows I am committed to giving my husband the care he deserves and respects that this is a package deal. Once my husband can be placed in a good facility, I will pursue divorce, while making sure he is properly cared for until he passes on. My boyfriend and I recently found out that, despite using protection, I’m pregnant. We are excited, as once I am legally able, we want to marry. My family is not happy, as in their eyes this is not appropriate, and they have been icing me out. They adored my husband, and have had little chance to get to know my boyfriend, since I live in another state. How can I smooth over my relationship with my family?

—Pregnant Caregiver

Re: It's Prudie Friday.

• I agree with her family. I'd side-eye this a bit. To me this falls into the "in sickness and in health" part of their vows.
  • If I were the one that had the brain injury I would want my husband to be happy too.  Taking care of someone in this state wouldn't make anyone happy.  It can't be good for the kids either.  She's not dumping her husband on the street.  It sounds like she's doing her best to get him everything he needs. 

• The timing of the pregnancy is not ideal.  But I agree that I can't fault her for moving on.
  • I think that's a "just a reminder - "protection" isn't fail safe" but that horse left the stable a while ago...

I agree - where is his/her family if they've got time to judge her but not time to help lift some of the caregiver burden off of her.  Even with waiting lists though, a care center isn't the "easy answer" for her and the situation even without the BF especially if he's on the final decline.. 

Yep - it's definitely side-eye worthy, but I'm with conn - can't judge her for a second!! 

Also, the "in sickness and in health" wasn't in our vows - the priest was very specific about that when we were going through prep and having to memorize them - I remember it because it was a surprising omission since we were already dealing with LFIL's Parkinson's and Blindness already so it stuck out...

• Wowee.  I think she's doing the "right thing" for her in getting her husband to a nursing home since it's too overwhelming for her to do 24-hour care but... the implication is she'll leave him there, divorce him, and never see him again.  Um, ok.  I hope some family will step up, or else that man will have a miserable end of his life.

This just makes me way, way sad.  Imagine those kids watching their dad decline and then be forgotten.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards