Wedding Invitations & Paper

Cardstock to print DIY save the dates on

Hi! I'm looking to print my own save the dates I designed at Office Depot. However, I'm not sure what cardstock to print them on. I had a sample printed on the 110 lb. cardstock and thought it was still too light. I'm looking for something a little thicker and heavier.

Any suggestions?

Re: Cardstock to print DIY save the dates on

• lilryn11lilryn11 member
    First Comment
    edited November 2015
    You could do plastic save the dates...check out live love last by plasticprinters.com
  • Can you go up to 120 lb. cardstock? It shouldn't need to be any heavier than that.

• Be aware that once you get to heavier cardstocks, they're very hard to print with on a home printer.  I know I tried to do my invite inserts on 80# and had tons of issues with a brand new home printer.  I could get every third one or so to work.

But you can take them to FedEx Office or whatever and have them print on their big printers for a very low rate.  That might be worth it in the end because even if your printer can handle the heavy stock, you likely will have to feed it in one by one.  I know I paid like $25 for mine, and it was WELL worth not having to spend a couple hours doing it at home.
    Married 9.12.15
  • I did 110# for my STD and it was okay. I agree that it may have been nice to have been a bit thicker, but it served its purpose.

I special ordered 130# for my RSVP postcards. You won't find it at most stores and even at specialty paper store, I still had to special order it.  I loved the thickness for postcards, but it was a pain to work with.  It came in very large sheets (I think it was 22"x34").  I had to cut with exacto knife, instead of paper cutter.  Even when I got them down to manageable size, it was too thick for my paper cutter to cut easily.  The paper was too thick for my home printer (and would be for most home printers).  I was able to print it at work on our large, professional copier/printer, but it still had issues with jamming on occasion.  In the end, I was happy with the result though.  But, I did waste a lot of paper in the process of cutting down to size and misprints. 

Having gone through it, I'd suggest either being satisfied with the 100# paper (which will work fine) or having them printed at local print shop (kinkos, etc.).  They have much better equipment and experience for working with thick paper.

• Hi! We ordered these for our DIY invitations: 
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BEEMOOG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

It's as thick as cardstock and went through my home printer fine.  Good luck with the DIY project! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards