Attire & Accessories Forum

To Petticoat, Or Not to Petticoat...

That, is the question.
Hello! So I ordered my dress for my wedding in 5 months (cutting it a bit close...). It's an A-Line. An Allure 2802. I had initially wanted a ballgown, but all ballgown's I tried on were too bulky/heavy for my shape and pricey. So I got all humble and went with the Allure 2802. I was thinking that I could put a petticoat under it to poof out the skirt more like a ballgown. I'm wondering if this will work, and if the dress has enough fabric for a petticoat, and if it would give the skirt the needed volume.
Any thoughts? Ideas?

Re: To Petticoat, Or Not to Petticoat...

• Yes, I think you can wear a petticoat, it just depends on the size of the petticoat. I wore an a-line gown, and had a petticoat underneath, but it wasn't a big out. It was enough to keep the shape of the skirt and keep the skirt out so it wouldn't go between my legs when I walked.

I would recommend trying on a variety of petticoats once it comes in to see what it looks like. I doubt you will have enough fabric to wear a big petticoat, but you can likely wear a small one. make sure you don't go with too large of one, even if it technically fits under the skirt. It will probably start to look a bit odd and "tight" and you will lose the lovely draping in the layers of the skirt.
  • Ok...my goal is to give it a fuller skirt. I know absolutely nothing about petticoats/wedding gown items so I'm at a loss. The dress I'm getting does have some padding in the cups, and then light boning through the torso.
    So I'm thinking I'd need just the petticoat. I also debated adding tulle underneath for volume, but I think a petticoat would be cheaper and less work....?
    What type of petticoat did you wear? Crinoline? Did it have hoops?
  • I had this same problem. The dress I will likely buy (having dress regret with just a deposit) is an A-line and I tried on a crinoline petticoat under it for this same reason. I wanted a ball gown. I had photos taken in it without the petticoat and with the petticoat and honestly, the dress lays better without the petticoat. With it, it looks very, very structured. I'm still not sure which look I want whereas without, it looks more free-flowing.
  • When you go in for a fitting, ask. I thought I needed one under my A-line dress, but instead they raised the crinoline layer that was already within my dress a few inches up, which made the whole bottom of the dress poof out a whole lot more. It made a world of difference, it was WAY cheaper than adding in a petticoat.

Also, some will depend on your ceremony. I had to kneel my whole ceremony (yay Catholic church) so additional layers would have been rough.
  • Does your dress already have crinoline underneath or no? I had an A-line dress but the skirt was very full because of the layers of crinoline already underneath. So I would add a crinoline skirt if your dress doesn't already have some poof included, and if it does - you could always ask about adding an additional layer to give it some more volume but I would talk to your seamstress first.

• edited November 2015
    My dress skirt is made up of tulle, I'm pretty sure there's no crinoline under it. I'm wanting the skirt to look fuller, and not quite as flowy as it does right now. Link to see the dress: http://www.allurebridals.com/products/2802
  • When I went to pick up my dress I tried on petticoats with it and found the right size one (there's waist size and there's fullness). You don't need one to royally puff it out, just one to give it proper shaping. Try one on, if it looks right, go with it. Overall it's a pretty cheap bridal item at the bridal salons.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards