Wedding Woes

Asking a Bridemaidzilla to step down

edited November 2015 in Wedding Woes
Recently I had to ask two of my bridesmaids to step down. I really struggled with this over the period of several months, in which time they did several things that hurt my feelings. These two bridesmaids were girls that I spent a lot of time with going out to the bars when I was single. The other girls in my bridal party have been my friend since I was a kid but I couldn't see not asking these two girls because we spent A lot of time together. After I asked them it slowly became obvious to me that they were not as good of friends as I had hoped for. For example, they left me at a bar without telling me they were leaving and took off for 5 hours. I had to get another ride home. I found out later that they were at another bar with a group of guys and didn't think anything of it. They also told me they didn't like the colour of the dresses and should have been able to pick them thmselves. I went to loan because I had a bridesmaids and the salon told me that to me opinions is a bad idea. I picked address that is the most popular for all body types and I sent them a picture before I decided. I guess that was not good enough.We had an engagement party and they left early to go to a bar. During the summer one of them was having a "bad month" so she chose to just ignore me even though I reached out to her to see if she was OK because she said that too many good things were going on in my life with the wedding and she just couldn't deal with them in comparison to hers. At my bachelorette these two girls showed up late to dinner and when I was in the middle of my thank you speech they were laughing and taking selfies. Then they disappeared shortly thereafter to a different bar for the entire night to meet up with some guys that they had met. They never apologized or thought that anything was wrong with it. Further to this, one of the girls invited some guy to come to our bachelorette dinner before the bar...and he sat next to us the entire time. That didn't make me mad but I did think it was weird. When we were heading to the bar the girls asked if they were coming and they just took off. I didn't my other meeting guys and would encourage it but I would've expected them to stay with us for my bachelorette. My other friends were very upsetwe're not surprised about it because many of them have questioned why I'm friends with these two girls. I always stuck up for them because I believe that you should stick up for your friends. But I felt very embarrassed and hurt so I finally addressed it in a classy way, because I couldn't keep these things in anymore. We had also planned to go on a girls weekend away just before the wedding with all the bridesmaids, and I was nervous that drama may arise given that the girls were upset with them. These girls were also much older and had been married before so I feel like they should have know. Better. While they did apologize "if I felt that way" they also got immediately defensive and told me that they would not be waiting around for anyone else to get ready and wanted to do their own things together on the trip without me getting upset about it. I asked my sister for advice and she said if they wanted to hang out together without the group then why were they going? Overall, I was offended by their comments and they said that I was unreasonable and selfish. They said that I was a bad friend and that they didn't even know how my fiancé dealt with me and that I was a ms. Know it all. I knew pointing fingers would do no good so I tried to keep a classy and simply explained that I would never put guys before my friends. I realized that I had higher expectations of them than they could probably give me because we see things so many things differently in terms of our friendship. I also knew based on how they reacted to me expressing my feelings, that we wouldn't be friends at all after the wedding. They said they didn't want to go on the trip with us and continued to make their comments. I did some soul searching and realized that this was not something I needed or wanted. The wedding is close and they are mad at me and my other friends because they don't understand what the big deal is. I said I thought it was for the best that they stepped down. And then things got worse. I received A horrible text message from one of the girls. She attacked me on so many different levels and the insults were hurtful. I apologized sincerely from my end for things happening the way they did because I did not want to be tasteless or crude. and even though I know it was the right decision for me, the things that were said made me feel like a bad person. My friends said to just look where it's coming from but I don't like to hurt anyone or cause problems. This was a hard decision for me and it's a horrible feeling to know that you were friends with someone that could say such cruel things so easily. I'm trying to move forward and struggling because I'm senstive. Was I wrong? How do I get over this? Feeling sad and confused.

Re: Asking a Bridemaidzilla to step down

• It sounds like you asked these women to be bridesmaids without really knowing them. And like a PP said, bar hopping with people doesn't necessary equal a life-long, lasting friendship. Also, was their behavior at your events on par with what you know of them? Probably. You can't expect people to change. Take this as a lesson learned and move on. They don't sound like good friends, and life is too short to spend it with crappy people.
  • Yeah, honestly, it sounds like these two friendships have run their course. It's unfortunate, but it happens. I can see mistakes on both sides (foisting a dress on them without any input incl. budget, bringing some rando to the bachelorette). But if these relationships were worth saving, I think you could get past it. Sadly, it sounds like it's time to move on, for everyone involved.
  • Asking people to no longer be bridesmaids is a friendship ending move, I'm not surprise that your friends are acting that way after you ended the friendship. I have to wonder if this is how they typically act and you were expecting them to change or if this is new behavior? I guess it doesn't matter now, time to move on and get over it.
  • Holy wall of text. But somewhere in there I read that you're constantly defending their behavior to your other friends, even before asking them to be in your wedding. Did you think their behavior would change because you're getting married?
  • I have a hard time believing a bunch of 13 year-olds bar hopping - cause this sure as all hell sounds like some middle school drama.

Let me help you:
    "I made a mistake when I asked 2 people to be bridesmaids. I thought they were my friends, but they repeatedly treated me like crap, so I fired them. Admittedly, I was too pushy and my expectations were too high, so I am willing to accept some of the blame for the situation. One of the girls said some mean things, and I'm overly sensitive and don't know how to cope. I will cut ties with these girls because I do not wish to associate with them anymore. I need to grow a pair, stand up for myself, and work on finding quality friends who do not just ditch me at bars. "

You're welcome.
  • It sounds like both of you made errors in judgement that led to the end of this friendship.

First, they did many things wrong including leaving you and inviting a random to your party. However, you weren't fair to them with your dictation of dress choice and party requirements. Also, your girls trip sounds more like a field trip than a vacation. If they're paying for themselves and have some interests different than the rest of the group, let them go.

However, as a former party girl who is late to the marriage game, you sound like the friend who got engaged and is all of a sudden too good for your former pastime. Possibly, you ostracized and patronized them long before they decided your wedding wasn't a priority.

Either way, kicking them out of the wedding party is a friendship ending move to make amends with yourself about whatever hang ups remain and move on.
  • Anytime you kick someone out of your WP, it's a friendship ending move. It sounds like this split was a long time in the making. Yes, some of your expectations were too high, OTOH, they sound like party girls ala "Real Housewives of..." which takes it a whole different direction. The cutting of ties was probably a good idea to do now than after the wedding and have them both in the wedding pictures. I'd do one last text to offer to purchase the dresses from them (and any incidentals for the wedding you've required them to purchase - shoes, jewelry, etc.) so they're not out anything, and call it a day...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards