Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Kids Fun Table

Have any of you done a kids fun table before? The last two weddings I worked they had little crafts for the kids at a table but I forgot to see if it was being used as the reception went on. I have 35 kids on the guest list that range from infant to 12yrs old, most of them are in the 3-6 range. I was thinking of getting some little coloring books and crafty things we could put on a table for them to occupy themselves a bit. The table would be in the reception room which is a large open banquet type room where cocktail hour and everything will be so I was thinking the parents could enjoy their drink at cocktail hour while keeping an eye on their kids.

Good idea? Bad idea? And parents please feel free to chime in, I don't have kids so I would love to hear your opinions as well.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Kids Fun Table

• Options
    I say yes to coloring books but no to crafting. That sounds like a mess that could potentially spread out. Glue, glitter, pieces of yarn, etc could end up everywhere. Plus I just don't picture kids sitting there crafting with things going on around them.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I think that's a nice idea. Hit up the dollar store and get some crayons and little coloring books but don't be concerned with making sure they are occupied the entire reception.

Parents know their kids so if they think they will be bored and causing a scene if they don't have toys or it's a totally kid centered event, they will either leave early or leave kids at home. I had a 45 kids under 12 but it was a family property so they were familiar with what was happening- knew what they could do to entertain themselves.

I also double checked with my dj that songs were edited and appropriate (that country song "lets get drunk and screw" migt not have any curse words but its inappropriate in my opinion) before 9:30.

• Options
    I agree with a table and coloring books, but not craft items. Not only could that get messy, but your venue might not be okay with it.

You might discuss this with the parents of the kids in question and see what they suggest. If their kids have favorite toys, gadgets, etc. that are practical for them to bring and won't be messy or inappropriately noisy, it might be a good idea to let them bring them and use them in the play area.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I talked to my cousin who has one of the kids in question and we came up with a list of coloring books, crayons, little 3D butterfly necklaces if the girls want to make one (no messy crafting, just fitting them together with peel and stick, tried them out on the neighbor's grand kids tonight), and dinosaur packets with stickers, pencils, and a note pad. I also just got a small pack of small stuffed animals I will put in a basket for the smaller kids if the parents want to grab one for them. Not planning on entertaining them all night, just wanted to have something they can doodle on during cocktail hour if they want while the moms and dads are chatting. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I talked to my cousin who has one of the kids in question and we came up with a list of coloring books, crayons, little 3D butterfly necklaces if the girls want to make one (no messy crafting, just fitting them together with peel and stick, tried them out on the neighbor's grand kids tonight), and dinosaur packets with stickers, pencils, and a note pad. I also just got a small pack of small stuffed animals I will put in a basket for the smaller kids if the parents want to grab one for them. Not planning on entertaining them all night, just wanted to have something they can doodle on during cocktail hour if they want while the moms and dads are chatting. 
    Those all sound good, except maybe the dinosaur stickers. Depending on the age of the children and the furniture in the hall, I'd be concerned about them sticking things to, say, wooden furniture with nice finishes or something. 
  • Options
    Thanks @JediElizabeth I hadn't even thought of that. They came in little bags so maybe I'll just give those to the parents of boys later and they can decide if they want to give them to the kids later. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards