Attire & Accessories Forum

Dresses for those who are fuller on top...

What designers will let out the cup to a G or H? I'm not a plus size bride, but am very well endowed... (naturally, so they need support!) 

Also, what necklines work best? I know halter is out, and I feel like strapless would be risky!

Re: Dresses for those who are fuller on top...

• Yes, that's an issue I'm seeing a lot of- ALL the dresses are low-back... Illusion looks lovely!
  • I have a larger, fuller bust, although not a G-H. What I found is that dresses with structure in the bodice can  make all the difference in the world. I ended up going with a strapless dress and felt 100% comfortable and supported the entire night. Definitely avoid a too low back because a lot of long-line bras and corsets won't be able to be accommodated.

I don't know what your budget is like but I had a lot of luck with various dresses from Casablanca. Getting a dress in your largest measurement (which for me was my bust) made a huuggeee difference in getting a dress properly fitted to my shape. It's must easier to take in a dress than to try and let it out to accommodate your chest.

• Mori Lee tends to be good for room in the chest area.  Oddly enough, some of the Vera Wang dresses as well.  I've had good luck with David's for formals (I'm a FF) not overflowing.  At the end of the day it comes down to going in and trying on dresses to see what works for you.  Halter may not work, but there are tons of options now that have something at the shoulders which helps with support.  The kicker is in the alterations and finding a supportive long-line that's not going to give out, which is worth spending some good money on to get the metal and not plastic boning. 
  • Thank you! What is a long-line? And I had no idea there was metal boning- good to know!!
  • I am also larger chested, I'm a G. I found an Alfred Angelo sheath lace dress that I will have to wear a strapless bra with. The back is high enough that I won't have to worry about the bra showing. When you make an appointment at a bridal store, be honest and ask the consultant/stylist what they think will look good on you. They have seen brides all shapes and sizes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you! What is a long-line? And I had no idea there was metal boning- good to know!!

A long-line is a strapless bra that extends down the waist (sometimes to the top of the hip) similar to a corset.  While smaller chested women often have no issue with a simple strapless bra, there comes a point when one is wearing it for a full day that gravity wins.  A long-line helps things stay in place instead of creeping downward.

The boning in a long-line can help determine it's "shelf life" (if you can call it that)..  Traditional plastic boning is great if you're a traditional size in the cup and will get you through the one-day if you never wear clothes that require it.  Sadly, the last one I purchased gave out about an hour before the end of the main event though held perfectly for the fittings.  Metal boning OTOH is more expensive, but they're built to last longer and are far more durable than the plastic.  Often you need to specialty order these, but those I know who own them swear by them as the only way to go.  Neither lasts forever, but the metal ones unless the metal gets bent, they do last a very long time.

• Super helpful- thank you!!
  • I'm not a G-H, just a DD but my dress ended up not requiring a bra at all once we added bra cups.  It had quite a bit of structure in the bodice, and despite the illusion back and no bra, I felt very supported all evening.  Mine was a Sottero & Midgley.  

I was honestly surprised, but I learned that wedding dresses are built a lot differently than regular evening gowns or cocktail dresses.  So much more going on underneath to support everything.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Oh good to know, one or two of the dresses I'm hoping to see are Sottero&Midgley too!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards