Wedding Etiquette Forum

Advice

Okay guys, I need some advice. Is it acceptable to offer open bar for a few hours and then turn it into cash bar? I've only been to a couple weddings so I didn't know if this was considered rude. TIA! :)

Re: Advice

• edited November 2015

Okay guys, I need some advice. Is it acceptable to offer open bar for a few hours and then turn it into cash bar? I've only been to a couple weddings so I didn't know if this was considered rude. TIA! :)

Yes, that is considered rude. You should host your guests consistently throughout the reception.

ETA: Cash bars are always rude.
  • Okay guys, I need some advice. Is it acceptable to offer open bar for a few hours and then turn it into cash bar? I've only been to a couple weddings so I didn't know if this was considered rude. TIA! :)

No.  Cash bars are always rude.  Guests should never be expected to pay for anything.
  • Thanks, ladies! Been thinking about beer and wine throughout the night. My venue offer hourly or per drink. All of this is new to me so I appreciate the advice!

• Price it out.

Is the hourly a total hourly bar cost, or still per person? And that's for a full bar correct?

If it is per drink (or a consumption bar, where you and your DH would pay the tab at the end of the night), then find out what they would charge for beer, wine, and other drinks. 

Then it is a know your crowd thing. If you have a lot of big drinkers, and depending on the number of guests, the hourly cost might be cheaper for you in the long run. But generally beer and wine are cheaper drinks, so paying for that, even if it is per drink, could be quite reasonable for you.
  • Thanks, ladies! Been thinking about beer and wine throughout the night. My venue offer hourly or per drink. All of this is new to me so I appreciate the advice!

Having beer and wine only throughout the whole night is totally fine. Whatever you host (full bar, beer and wine only, or even just non-alcoholic drinks),  you want to make sure it is hosted the entire length of reception.

Just in case... make sure all soft drinks/non-alcoholic drinks are 100% hosted, regardless of what you decide for your alcohol options. 

Just in case... make sure all soft drinks/non-alcoholic drinks are 100% hosted, regardless of what you decide for your alcohol options. 

Ditto this.
    I went to a wedding where the beer and wine stayed free all night, but after dinner they started charging for the soft drinks!
    I was pregnant at the time so wasn't really feeling the wine. Bad morning sickness and reeeeeally wanted another gingerale. I think we caved and bought one ($2!!!!), but then we left about 10 minutes later.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards