Wedding Reception Forum
Options

reception with a band

So, i'm just looking for some shared experience stories if ya'll have any.  I've never been to a reception with a band before, but the dude wanted a band, so we're having a band.

actually i'm pretty excited, we've hired a rockabilly band out of nashville to play our reception and i LOVE the band so it should be fun, but i have zero experience with a reception with a band.  I'm sure that it'll go well, but i'm curious to know, have you guys had one/been to one? how did it go? anything go well/suck hardcore?

any shared stories would be SO totally appreciated :)
.... excuse me while i go get those pesky kids off my lawn. ;)

sincerely, 
THE OLD

Re: reception with a band

• Options
    I've been to a few weddings with a band.   Some have been great, others meh.

While some of the bands were good, they often catered to a certain genre.  Which IMO doesn't always works when you have a multi-generational wedding or with people who just do not like that style of music.  I attended one where hardly anyone was out on the dance floor because the style of music was pretty specific and most people just didn't like it.   With bands that do different genres tends to let everyone dance.

Speaking for multi-generational, I've attended a wedding where the band was so loud the older people had to leave.  You couldn't even talk to your neighbor.  These are older people who at DJ weddings would be out on the dance floor, but it was just so loud and not the music they normally dance to, they left.    

Just like everything there are good bands for weddings and not as good.   I would just make sure yours does a good mix of music and not blast out your older guests.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Good advice above. I've only been to two weddings with bands, but they were both fabulous. The bands weren't too loud, played a variety of music (classics, 80's, Top 40)... I definitely had a good time dancing!

Rockabilly is an acquired taste. Assuming most of your guests also enjoy this style of music, I'm sure it'll be a great time. Regarding noise, perhaps your venue has different areas where people can go if they need it quieter (like, the band isn't in the middle of the room, but on a far end; or, people can go outside on a patio to talk or something). 

• Options
    Never been to a reception with a band (unless you count mine, which was a string trio, not intended for dancing), but as a teacher I've been to Proms with them. The vibe has always been better with a DJ at those.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    crowsgirl15crowsgirl15 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2016
    I've been to several weddings with bands, including one just last month. Though I wouldn't be able to afford it for my wedding, I always prefer a band to a DJ. It gives it more of an upscale feel, and most decent wedding bands play a variety. I've never been to a wedding where it was just one style.

• Options
    Most of the weddings I go to have bands and I usually love it. Brings great energy. I'd talk to them about volume and breaks- they usually don't play constantly and have some pauses with recorded music if you have them all night, and about variety. Can they play anything other than rockabilly? Do they usually play weddings? It might be good to just talk through how you want the night to go, especially if they're used to playing concerts instead of parties.
  • Options
    PPs have given great advice! Another thing to think about is whether this band can effectively MC the event or if you should hire someone else to do that. I've only been to weddings with bands where the bands were "wedding bands" and had a DJ on their crew take over during breaks and also make announcements and introductions for toasts, spotlight dances, cake cutting etc.
  • Options
    I've been to a few with a band. I generally prefer DJs, but bands can be fine as long as your venue has the right acoustics for it. The last wedding I was at had low ceilings, and we & some other friends were sat right next to the band & speakers. It was awful. We spent most of the night in the hall outside of the ballroom because it was just too uncomfortable to be in our seats, or even on the dance floor.

Most of the time, though, the bands I've seen at weddings have worked out just fine.
  • Options
    lc07 said:
    PPs have given great advice! Another thing to think about is whether this band can effectively MC the event or if you should hire someone else to do that. I've only been to weddings with bands where the bands were "wedding bands" and had a DJ on their crew take over during breaks and also make announcements and introductions for toasts, spotlight dances, cake cutting etc.
    This is what I was going to say. We had a band at our recent wedding. The music was great. Just make sure the band, and any who gives toasts, etc. knows the flow of the evening. There were a few awkward dead spots where no one knew who was supposed to talk and the guests were just staring (definitely didn't ruin the evening)
  • Options
    We had an amazing band at our wedding in September.  They play a lot of weddings and the band leader did a great job MC'ing as well.  They played a variety of music and the dance floor was packed ALL night.  Many guests told me the band was the best they ever heard and it was the only wedding they've attended that had everyone up and dancing all night.  They took two short breaks and played music from an ipod during their breaks.
    I think the right band is hands down better than a DJ, and I would def book if within your budget. I was surprised at the affordability of our band.  I was expecting it to be outrageously expensive.
  • Options
    When I've been to weddings or other events with bands, unfortunately the experiences weren't very satisfying. Either the bands treated the events like concerts, or they only played one type of music that wasn't very danceable, or played too loud or not loud enough.
  • Options
    We had an amazing band at our wedding in September.  They play a lot of weddings and the band leader did a great job MC'ing as well.  They played a variety of music and the dance floor was packed ALL night.  Many guests told me the band was the best they ever heard and it was the only wedding they've attended that had everyone up and dancing all night.  They took two short breaks and played music from an ipod during their breaks.
    I think the right band is hands down better than a DJ, and I would def book if within your budget. I was surprised at the affordability of our band.  I was expecting it to be outrageously expensive.
    I think this is key. 

Unless you know with 100% certainty that all of your guests love Rockabilly music, it would probably would be best if your band could play more than just that genre of music.

If I went to a wedding reception and there was a love band that played nothing but country, Rockabilly, or Jazz I'd be in my own personal hell and likely not stay very long.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards