Wedding Etiquette Forum

Bridesmaids Outfits

So, I’ve asked my three favourite people in the world to be my bridesmaids/men – my soon-to-be sister-in-law, and my two best friends from school. One of the guys has insisted on his wearing a kilt (I have no problem with this), and I literally have no opinion on what the other two wear. 

As long as they’re comfortable, I don’t have any sort of preference on colour or shape or whatever, as long as they’re happy and comfortable. If they ask, I’ll show them some things I like, but other than that, its their call.

My questions are – 1) is this against etiquette? And 2) do I need to buy their outfits?

Re: Bridesmaids Outfits

• The attire of the wedding party has nothing to do with etiquette.

No you do not have to buy their attire.  It is a nice gesture to do so, but definitely not required.

• 1) It's perfectly fine.
    2) You don't need to buy their outfits as long as you're not requiring anything major.   If you make them wear specific shoes or accessories, that's on you. 
  • 1. It's totally fine 
    2. No, you don' need to pay
  • AriBeluga said:

So, I’ve asked my three favourite people in the world to be my bridesmaids/men – my soon-to-be sister-in-law, and my two best friends from school. One of the guys has insisted on his wearing a kilt (I have no problem with this), and I literally have no opinion on what the other two wear. 

As long as they’re comfortable, I don’t have any sort of preference on colour or shape or whatever, as long as they’re happy and comfortable. If they ask, I’ll show them some things I like, but other than that, its their call.

My questions are – 1) is this against etiquette? And 2) do I need to buy their outfits?

If you really don't care, and you don't care what color or anything else, just let them wear whatever they want.  They don't have to match your colors or your decor or the cut of your wedding dress or what the groomsmen wear or anything else.  "I trust you to wear something appropriate.  Please wear whatever you'd like."

I feel the same way.  And I'm sure it's going to confuse my sister immensely.  Wear a dress, or a skirt and blouse, or dress pants and nice shirt, any color, any cut, really, I don't care.
  • You would only be required to buy their outfit if you are asking them for something specific (I.e. you want all the women to wear yellow pumps). 

I think it is great you are being flexible and letting your WP wear what they like. 

If they ask, you could give them a general idea, but I like what adk19 said.

• I was only a little pickier than you about what my bridal party wore--I asked that people wore jewel tones, which essentially was translated to "just don't wear black or pastels". For my side, Out of 5 girls we had 2 navy dresses, one bright red, and 2 bright blue. All were totally different. Out of the 2 guys, one wore a very traditional black suit with a deep purple tie, and the other wore a reddish-purple velvet jacket and matching color tie. For my husband's side, he had 3 guys who each wore traditional suits and I think all had ties in shades of blue (but I don't remember). 

All the girls were anxious about what to wear, so I had to really emphasize I didn't care. Most sent me pics of the dresses ahead of time, or confirmed that i didn't care if it was long or short, etc. 
  • You are doing a great job as a bride. You may want to try to pick a color because they are bound to ask. Even if it's telling them to wear a black dress in whatever style they want. If you are stuck on colors, ask your friend what colors are in his kilt & use that as inspiration
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards