Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Hair/Make up Trials

I'm just curious as to what the average cost in your area is for hair/make up trials? I've seen them anywhere between $100-150 for a trial, then another $150 ish for the day off stuff.. That seems super expensive to me. Yes I understand that they are doing the work, and using products etc, but they also are not going to the full extent. It also seems like a waste of money if you don't end up liking it and have to go somewhere else...

So yeah, just curious what you gals have paid/seen/experienced?

Re: Hair/Make up Trials

• I paid the same for my trial as I did the day of the wedding. My make up trial was exactly the same as I got for my wedding, with the slight tweaks we went over during the trial (less blush, add lashes only to the outside corners of my eye and not the whole lid). Same with hair, except it was slightly messier at the trial than the wedding day. They still used all their product, pins, etc, plus I took up time slots they would have used for other paying customers/regulars they have.

If anything, they took more time with me at my trial talking to me to find out what exactly I wanted. We went over what I liked/didn't like about the pictures I brought and what they ended up doing. All that time was worth it because I looked fabulous on my wedding day, and it was quicker for them to give me what I wanted because they already knew.

The money for the trial is worth it. I live in a LCOL area in central IL and even I couldn't find anyone that charged less for a trial than for the day of.
  • Similar experience as PP. Yes you should plan on paying the full amount or close to it for the trials. Both trials actually took longer than the day of because we were trying different things. It took a little bit for the hair dresser to determine what type of curling iron worked best for my hair (also I messed up and conditioned my hair that morning for the trial so it didn't hold the curls as well). For makeup the first foundation she used didn't work with my skin type so we had to wipe it off and start over. Then I decided I wanted my eyes darker so it took a little while to fix it. Ultimately I looked the same after my trial as the wedding day except I didn't have the hairdresser actually pin in my circlet during the trial. I just took it with me so she could see what it looked like and have a plan. Honestly the trials were probably more work than the day of so they are going beyond the full extent. If you're worried you won't like it make sure you go to a place that someone you know has used and liked or that has great reviews then it will be worth every penny!

My hair trial was $85 (before tip) and I payed the same amount on the wedding day. My makeup trial was $75 (again before tip) and it was $65 on the wedding day because I got a discount for also paying to have my MIL and MOH get their makeup done day of. These prices were for a small town in New Hampshire, depending on your area it might be higher or lower.

Oh and while I'm thinking of it a piece of advice my makeup artist gave me was to go out and do something after the trial so you don't waste it. Schedule it before your bridal shower or before you're going out. My husband (fiance at the time) used it as an excuse to get all dressed up and go to a fancy restaurant (our first date place actually) and then hit the town! If you have something like that planned it might not feel so much like a waste of money!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That's what my pricing is looking like too; I'm glad you asked. To add on to the OP's question...TK's checklist puts trial timing at 6 months prior to the wedding. This is insanely early, right?
  • I was planning max. 3months in advance for my trial, which even I think is fine and I like ticking off a to do list!

I change my mind so often I'm pretty sure I'd have decided I needed a totally different 'do at least twice if I was making this decision 6 months before the day!

• Yup, it sucks to pay the same or close to what the day of would cost - but peace of mind is priceless. I hated my first trial and the woman wouldn't listen - I had to find someone else to do another trial (and pay more money!).  In the end, I was happy I did - I knew on the day of everything would be to my liking.  

As to timing, good makeup artists book up quickly.  And I found you would often need to leave a deposit if you wanted to book someone.  I certainly wasn't going to leave a deposit if I didn't do a trial!  Needless to say, I did mine early!  I didn't want to run around the last couple of months trying to find someone who was available.
  • JoanE, that is a really good point that hadn't occurred to me....hmm, might have to rethink my plans after!

• Thanks for the replies all. Some helpful tips in there and I guess I didn't think that they could end up spending more time and effort trying to find something you like. 
    I still think it is super expensive for a trial, but will be worth it in the end. :)

Did you ladies take any one with you for a second opinion at all?
  • Thanks for the replies all. Some helpful tips in there and I guess I didn't think that they could end up spending more time and effort trying to find something you like. 
    I still think it is super expensive for a trial, but will be worth it in the end. :)

My mom was with me.  She's the only one I trust to tell me if it looked good or I looked like a clown.  :)
  • JoanE2012 said:
    Thanks for the replies all. Some helpful tips in there and I guess I didn't think that they could end up spending more time and effort trying to find something you like. 

My mom was with me.  She's the only one I trust to tell me if it looked good or I looked like a clown.  :)
    I went by myself to the trials. I did send pictures to people after but not really for their opinions but because they asked me to. I wish my mom was like yours JoanE20212, mine told me she hated my eye makeup on my wedding day (everyone else including myself loved it, my makeup artist was great)! The videographer tried to save her by saying yea it's hard to see them look all grown up and my mom said no that's not it, I just don't think it looks good... 

So OP if you are getting a second opinion make sure it is someone you trust and who knows and appreciates your style. Honestly I know what looks good on me and my makeup artist was a professional and does great work so I didn't feel like a second opinion was needed. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I paid $75 for the trial and will pay $75 for the day of as well. However, I was extremely unhappy with my hair trial, so a friend of mine who is good at hair is going to do be doing it the day of as a wedding gift.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2015
    I think the spa where the venue is has trails for both hair & make up (non air brushed) for $110.  I plan to go in early, get it done - change it up a bit after I get what I want, and then take my engagement photo's.  I'm from OOT, so I have to do this all in one day!  Cost for day of, I think is $135.  - again, regular make up and not air brushed. 

edit: area - Hudson Valley, NY

• Mine was $50.00 for hair and makeup at a salon.
  • I like living on the edge and didn't have a trail.  I was OOT and didn't have time anyway.    If I was to have a trail it would have cost the same as the day off.   Which is fair in my opinion.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Late to this thread, but two points: 1) My trial was cheaper by about 20 bucks. My stylist, whom I love and have been going to for years, mentioned offhand that she does indeed try harder for the real deal. The trial is for experimenting; the real deal is for perfection.
    2) You get what you pay for. Recently I was in a wedding where the hair and makeup prices we were quoted seemed really, really low. I was actually nervous about it. I didn't end up having my makeup done and everyone's hair, to be honest, sucked. Curls fell out quickly, weird bumps in places... just, not good. (And we all smiled and complimented each other, of course.)

• I live in Seattle but I am getting married in So Cal.  So, what I've realized... things are damn expensive there!!  My hair & makeup trial is $150.  Day of hair & makeup is $350.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    My hair trial was the same price as the day of. Although yes, day of should be "perfection", my stylist still spent near the same amount of time doing my hair. I could go out the rest of the day looking like my hair was professional done.

My hair was $80 and make up $40.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards