Attire & Accessories Forum

Vintage Wedding Dress?

I'm considering purchasing a vintage (1950's era) wedding dress from someplace like Etsy...but it's obviously a little nerve-wracking when all you have to go on are pictures and good faith. Has anyone else done this and do you have any tips for making what I consider to be more or less a "blind" purchase?

Re: Vintage Wedding Dress?

• I didn't purchase my wedding dress through Etsy, but I have used it a lot. I'd recommend talking with the shop, reading the reviews, and be clear about what you are looking for. I'd be wary of some of the foreign (mainly Chinese) shops as the sizing, quality, and costumer service can be less than ideal.

Also, I'd pay through PayPal or Amazon if at all possible that way you have more options if there is a problem after you purchase it. Read the shops policies clearly and ask any questions you have about returns, refunds, exchanges before you buy.
  • I'm considering purchasing a vintage (1950's era) wedding dress from someplace like Etsy...but it's obviously a little nerve-wracking when all you have to go on are pictures and good faith. Has anyone else done this and do you have any tips for making what I consider to be more or less a "blind" purchase?
    I've bought a few things from Etsy like this, but I'm only comfortable with it if they ask for my exact measurements for a custom job - and if, as Charlotte said, they have good reviews and I've talked to them.

I'd look for a shop with good reviews which will be creating a new dress for you in a 1950's style. Otherwise, fit and how well it's preserved may be an issue. A local seamstress may also be willing to do this for you.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015
    Etsy does not sell ANYTHING!  You would be buying from a seller who uses Etsy to post their merchandise.  It is like Ebay, except it mostly has handmade items.  The merchandise will be as good as the seller.  Do not buy anything from China, Malaysia, or the Philippines.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I have just bought a vintage wedding dress, I am beyond happy with my dress! In the end, I made my purchase in a vintage dress boutique where I could try it on beforehand. I actually bought a dress through etsy before this, and while I cant fault the seller, it just looked terrible on me IRL....and they had a no returns policy. I really recommend that if you must buy through etsy at least visit a shop to make sure you know what suits you or that whomever you buy from has a returns policy. I wish I had waited to find a boutique!

• You can set a filter on Etsy so you know you're only buying from U.S. sellers. I've purchased many things on Etsy! My one word of caution about buying a dress online is that you can't try it on first... I did this, and didn't end up liking the way the dress looked on me! Try your local consignment shops/thrift stores/antique shops first!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards