Getting in Shape

Treadmill

FI and I have decided to purchase ourselves a treadmill for Christmas (because he can run in the snow all he wants, I sure as hell won't LOL).

Tell me, which treadmills do you love and which do you run from (pun intended)?  There are so many options and so many brands, I'd rather get a recommendation and start there than start from scratch and research them all:).

Re: Treadmill

• We have the Nordic Track Commercial 1750 - got it about 2 years ago.  I really like it and am happy with the purchase!
  • It all depends on your price point...  If you're going to put the money into one - Life Fitness... 

But, at the end of the day - ask yourself if a $20-60/mo gym membership would be the more economical way to go because you don't have to deal with maintenance or the space being taken up in your home and you get the benefits of using the rest of the equipment.  If a good treadmill is going to cost $4000-6000+, plus the costs of ownership when a motor or track goes out, with a membership you don't have to deal with that stuff..  It's something to really think about before committing to ownership. 

• MesmrEwe said:

It all depends on your price point...  If you're going to put the money into one - Life Fitness... 

But, at the end of the day - ask yourself if a $20-60/mo gym membership would be the more economical way to go because you don't have to deal with maintenance or the space being taken up in your home and you get the benefits of using the rest of the equipment.  If a good treadmill is going to cost $4000-6000+, plus the costs of ownership when a motor or track goes out, with a membership you don't have to deal with that stuff..  It's something to really think about before committing to ownership. 

Our treadmill cost around $1,400.  We paid around another $200 for an extended warranty that includes technician visits for 6 years.

We put the treadmill in a spare room.  It was important to me to keep in in a living area (and not in the basement) so I'd use it.  We also bought a small tv to put in there too. 

We also belong to a gym, but I can't tell you how many times I actually hop on the treadmill after dinner, random times on the weekend, while watching one of my shows, etc - sometimes it's just a heck of a lot easier than getting in the car and driving 10 min each way to the gym (especially if the weather is bad!).
  • I just bought myself one for Black Friday! I know myself and know that there's no way I'll make it to the gym once it's winter and snow and ice and freezing out. I'd much rather just roll out of bed and hop on in my warm finished basement with 60 inch tv!

Anyways, the research I found all led to either a Nordic Track 1750 which @joane2012 has or a ProForm Pro 2000. Both of those topped the consumer reviews lists. They were a tad over my budget at $1400-1900, so I got a different ProForm model with great reviews for $800. I plan to mostly walk, not like run marathons so I didn't feel the need for the super amazing model.

• JoanE2012 said:
    MesmrEwe said:

It all depends on your price point...  If you're going to put the money into one - Life Fitness... 

Our treadmill cost around $1,400.  We paid around another $200 for an extended warranty that includes technician visits for 6 years.

We put the treadmill in a spare room.  It was important to me to keep in in a living area (and not in the basement) so I'd use it.  We also bought a small tv to put in there too. 

We also belong to a gym, but I can't tell you how many times I actually hop on the treadmill after dinner, random times on the weekend, while watching one of my shows, etc - sometimes it's just a heck of a lot easier than getting in the car and driving 10 min each way to the gym (especially if the weather is bad!).
    We are also looking for a treadmill (so thank you for the affordable suggestions!) and its for @MesmrEwe's reasoning. The closest gym to us is 20 minutes away so while I belonged for over a year I only made it there like 5 or 6 times. It's hard to have to get up for work at 5:30am not get home until 6pm and then make the decision to drive 20 minutes to a gym workout and drive home. If my workout was a halfhour it mean I wasn't getting home until 7:30 (factoring in changing/showering).

I think our current plan is to get a cheaper model for now in our apartment and then in a few years when we buy a house get a more quality one.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have the norditrack incline.  I love it.  But I don't run on it, I like the higher incline to burn cals faster.  I jog like a minute or so after the walk is done, in hopes of getting the endurance up and eventually do a jog/walk combo when I'm more fit.

I got late summer, but JUST put a TV in the room.  I have used it a lot since moving the TV in there.  I can't really vouch for the running but it is VERY sturdy.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards