Wedding Etiquette Forum

Help my mom has turned into a MOMZILLA!!!

My fiancee and I have been together for six years and we're getting married on our seven year anniversary. We have been engaged almost two years, and we both get along with our families.

Ever since my fiancee and I began planning our wedding, my mom has been acting really really negatively especially towards me. She's paying half the venue cost and his parents are paying the other half.

Every time I try to speak to her about our wedding and our ideas, she starts screaming at me in my face about how my ideas are crap, and if I say that my fiancee likes it too, then she yells at me about how stupid we are. It's to the point where I feel like I can't even talk about the wedding around her, and it breaks my heart because I even asked her to walk me down the aisle because she means a lot to us both. Every time I've sat her down to try to have a calm conversation about how she is treating me, she screams and calls me stupid and sensitive and acts like I'm not happy to be getting married.

I'm always stressed and it doesn't help that I am still living with her until a few months before the wedding. This is making the planning process miserable for us, and I don't know what to do about my mom without causing a serious backlash.

What should I do???

Re: Help my mom has turned into a MOMZILLA!!!

• My fiancee and I have been together for six years and we're getting married on our seven year anniversary. We have been engaged almost two years, and we both get along with our families. Ever since my fiancee and I began planning our wedding, my mom has been acting really really negatively especially towards me. She's paying half the venue cost and his parents are paying the other half. Every time I try to speak to her about our wedding and our ideas, she starts screaming at me in my face about how my ideas are crap, and if I say that my fiancee likes it too, then she yells at me about how stupid we are. It's to the point where I feel like I can't even talk about the wedding around her, and it breaks my heart because I even asked her to walk me down the aisle because she means a lot to us both. Every time I've sat her down to try to have a calm conversation about how she is treating me, she screams and calls me stupid and sensitive and acts like I'm not happy to be getting married. I'm always stressed and it doesn't help that I am still living with her until a few months before the wedding. This is making the planning process miserable for us, and I don't know what to do about my mom without causing a serious backlash. What should I do???
    If she is paying, she gets to decide how her money is spent. I would decline the money, pay for your wedding yourself, and then you won't have to run your ideas by mom for approval.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards