Attire & Accessories Forum

Wedding Dress Love - Or regret?

Hello - I got engaged in September, set the date for December 2016, but I know how indecisive I am so I thought it best to start shopping for wedding dresses recently. We have an NYE/Gatsby classy themed wedding, but everything I wanted in a wedding dress is NOTHING in the dress that I fell in love with - I put this A line designer gown on and burst into tears and I am not an emotional person, let alone bride! I only really got to go to two salons, and now I have my mom having so many ideas wanting to add to the dress. I also woke up the next morning completely second guessing that it was "the one" even though it brought me to tears. 

Is this a normal indecisive bride response? Do I feel like I cheated myself out of more dress shopping experience? I continuously look at the pictures of myself in the dress and I love it, but to me it doesn't go with the theme - does that really matter? 

Re: Wedding Dress Love - Or regret?

• Does your theme matter to you? Do you want to be dressed in costume to match it or wear what you feel prettiest in? Only you can decide.
  • Hello - I got engaged in September, set the date for December 2016, but I know how indecisive I am so I thought it best to start shopping for wedding dresses recently. We have an NYE/Gatsby classy themed wedding, but everything I wanted in a wedding dress is NOTHING in the dress that I fell in love with - I put this A line designer gown on and burst into tears and I am not an emotional person, let alone bride! I only really got to go to two salons, and now I have my mom having so many ideas wanting to add to the dress. I also woke up the next morning completely second guessing that it was "the one" even though it brought me to tears. 

Is this a normal indecisive bride response? Do I feel like I cheated myself out of more dress shopping experience? I continuously look at the pictures of myself in the dress and I love it, but to me it doesn't go with the theme - does that really matter? 
    Congrats!  I'm a December 2016 bride as well and my venue is a 1920's built art deco ballroom.

My vote all day, everyday is to go with the dress you love.  If you want to incorporate your theme into it, you can always add pearls, a headband, chandelier earrings, feathers into your bouquet....the list goes on!
  • Having a themed wedding and finding a dress that goes with that theme is all well and good. But sometimes, the dress you think you want either doesn't exist or isn't what you hoped it would be when you try it on. My dress had some elements I knew I wanted and some that I wasn't sure I would like before I tried it on. I loved it and can't imagine getting married in anything else. And FWIW, I only visited two bridal shops as well.

I think you should go try the dress on again. If you still love it and want it to be your wedding dress, then you should go for it. Either you clash with the Gatsby theme, or if that bothers you, forget the theme and just have a classy, elegant NYE wedding.

• Thank you wonderful brides! I think I'm done second guessing now - love the costume comment :-) The dress made me feel like a bride -the theme is wedding. I love it!

Congrats and good luck to all of you as well!
  • Gatsby themed weddings are over,  They were never very appropriate, anyway, considering the storyline in the book.  Just have a nice wedding!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I love my dress, October 2016 seems too long to wait to wear it!

I think if love the dress you have picked out (and it sounds like you do!), then dress>theme. I guess it comes down to how hardcore you are planning to go with your decoration. There's 'theme' and then there's 'THEME!', if you KWIM? If you are just looking at some pearls and feathers and maybe a 20's style gin bar then I don't think it will matter too much.

Just out of curiosity, are you asking guests to dress up in this theme?

• If you check my history I posted about wanting to find a dress with straps, no train, no pouf, very simple. I'm having an outdoor country casual wedding. Well, I went dress shopping at David's and walked out with a strapless, beaded bodice and a tulle skirt with chapel train.

Am I going to look ridiculous at my backyard wedding? Yep. I don't care. I feel the most amazing I've ever felt in that dress and I will wear the hell out of it. It's not a crime for a bride to be overdressed.

The only thing I would say is if your dress is impractical for your venue, that can be an issue. So a cathedral train and veil at the beach seems like a recipe for disaster. That sort of thing. 

I personally don't care for changing dresses at the reception, but that could be an option if you'd like to have the spiritual/ceremonial part of your day in "THE" dress but have a funkier option for the party part!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • No, absolutely NOT asking guests to dress up for the theme! It was more of style of decorations and feel that I wanted that coincided with the venue and my style in general. Someone earlier mentioned "costume" and it made me chuckle because it's not a Halloween party - it's my wedding. I just got nervous that for NYE my dress is French lace, whimsical, and with a little dramatic detail - very romantic. I just think since I had to take it off because apparently, they don't let you just wear the sample around all day and night, I got nervous over making a decision so fast! 

I think everyone has given really good feedback and ideas - the reception will reflect a Gatsby/Downton feel, I don't necessarily have to. 
  • If you felt that was your wedding dress, go ahead!! I had a similar issue because I wanted a Jane Austen feel to the wedding but I just don't like those dresses at all! 
    Make sure you wear the dress you feel the happiest in, then the rest will fit or not, don't worry about it! I think it's a mistake to wear a costume to fit the theme!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards